Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

People News Brian Fargo and Matt MacLean Talks at Digital Dragons 2015

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Infinitron, May 31, 2015.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: Bard's Tale IV; Brian Fargo; InXile Entertainment; Matt MacLean; Obsidian Entertainment; South Park: The Stick of Truth; Torment: Tides of Numenera; Wasteland 2

Brian Fargo recently went on tour in Europe. One of his stops was Poland, where he gave at a one hour talk at the annual Digital Dragons gaming conference in Krakow, which has now been uploaded to YouTube. It's a fairly typical Fargo talk, with a short recap of his career, the latest version of his crowdfunding evangelization speech, and most interestingly, an explanation of his project management and RPG design philosophies. Although he mentions all three of inXile's Kickstarter projects, the talk doesn't really go into detail about any one game.

There's also a Q&A session at the end, where one of the questioners is none other than Obsidian's Matt MacLean, who was at Digital Dragons to give his own talk about the design of South Park: The Stick of Truth. Apparently, he wanted to talk about Pillars of Eternity, but PR wouldn't let him, because there was "big news" coming up. Well, at least there's E3. There is an interesting bit at the beginning, though, where Matt seems to be implying that Paradox are dragging their feet on paying Obsidian their royalties...

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  2. himmy Arcane

himmy
    Gosh, I sure am happy that Obsidian doesn't depend on a big bad publisher any more.

:hmmm:

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  3. Athelas Arcane

Athelas
    Shouldn't that be the other way around? :M

^ Top  
  4. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Well, since Paradox is listed as "Publisher" on Steam, they're the ones who are supposed to be getting all the money. Unless they're supposed to be turning it all over to Obsidian, then getting royalties back. :M

But "royalties" is something that content creators get, otherwise the payment would probably be called something else, so I doubt it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Grotesque ±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Patron

Grotesque
    Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I wonder what's Fargo's opinion on the new Mad Max! :)

Edit: Redneck Rampage a title to be proud of?! oh, come on....

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
    ^ Top  
  6. Veelq Augur

Veelq
    "BTW I never mentioned how much I thoroughly enjoyed the latest Mad Max film. It made me want to run out of theater and start Wasteland 3." Brian on his Twitter.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  7. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Chris-A: Hey, Freddy.

Freddy: Chris-A. I’ve been looking for you.

Chris-A: Yeah, sure you have. You have my money, right?

Freddy: Yeah. It’s coming. It’ll be here in a few weeks.

Chris-A: What do you mean it’s coming, Freddy? Where’s. My money?

Freddy: Okay. Just give me five weeks. Just give me five!

Chris-A: Five weeks? You want five fucking weeks, Freddy? You know what? I haven’t got five fucking weeks! (he pulls a gun on Freddy) I’m going to ask you again, Freddy. Where’s my money?

Freddy: I don’t have anything.

Chris-A: Where’s my money, Freddy? Where’s my fucking money, Freddy?! What’d you do with my fucking money?!

Freddy: I swear to god, it’s coming!

Chris-A: Where’s my fucking money, Freddy?!

Freddy: Put the gun down.

Chris-A: My fucking money! Where’s my fucking money, Freddy?!

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  8. Morality Games Arcane Patron

Morality Games
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Exact time? I heard him ask about physical goods but nothing else.

EDIT:

Oh I see. It was in his own speech.

^ Top  
  9. Kz3r0 Arcane Sad Loser

Kz3r0
    Publishers, publishers never change.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Volrath Arcane Patron

Volrath
    Obsidian getting fucked in the ass by another publisher. How surprising :lol:

^ Top  
  11. m_s0 Arcane

m_s0
    Didn't they claim it was strictly a (in terms of the physical release, at least) distribution deal at some point? Or am I confusing my crowdfunded 'suck it, publishers' projects that got picked up by publishers? :M

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    It was Fargo who was very clear his deal with Deep Silver was distribution only, Paradox is indeed the publisher for PoE.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. m_s0 Arcane

m_s0
    Yeah, that's probably what I was thinking of.

^ Top  
  14. Kz3r0 Arcane Sad Loser

Kz3r0
    Wait what?
    Publisher in the sense that grant them access to Steam, has the rights for both physical and digital distribution and collect all the money while paying royalties to Obsidian afterward?
    A publisher in that sense?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. cherry blossom Arcane

cherry blossom
    One of the best damn first person shooters before they all started taking themselves too seriously.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I believe so.

^ Top  
  17. Kz3r0 Arcane Sad Loser

Kz3r0
    They are mindfuckingnumblingly retarded.
    I hope that Paradox at least gave them that extra million to finish the game.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Keep in mind that the "royalties" are probably 90% of the money.

^ Top  
  19. Athelas Arcane

Athelas
    Apparently they used their own funds to finish the game. :M

^ Top  
  20. Kz3r0 Arcane Sad Loser

Kz3r0
    After accounting and still seats in Paradox' pockets until they pay, probably tranche by tranche and not all at once.

^ Top  
  21. Zorba the Hutt Arcane Weasel

Zorba the Hutt
    Pretty funny to look back on this thread now, where comments described the deal as just 'saving Josh from licking envelopes' etc.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-pillars-of-eternity-distribution-deal.90524/

Tongue-in-cheek Roguey quotes stand the test of time though:

^ Top  
  22. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    What's the problem? They're also saving Josh from the effort of having to open envelopes of money himself. :troll:

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  23. Grotesque ±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Patron

Grotesque
    Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
    In '97, the same year Redneck Rampage (which is a watery shit bathed by the warm sun) came out, another FPS launched that is trully worthy of the title "One of the best damn first person shooters".
    And it's name is Blood.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. m_s0 Arcane

m_s0
    I enjoy Redneck Rampage, probably because of the overall insanity and the Build engine, which I am very fond of, but putting all that aside it's not very well designed at all.

^ Top  
  25. Turok Erudite

Turok
    I remember redneck rampage, nice game and funny.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.