Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Brian Fargo interviewed by GamerHub.TV (OMG Wasteland 2 gameplay footage!)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Brian has made a big deal of how super-customizable the UI will be. I wouldn't worry about this stuff.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I am not certain I like that interface. Portraits on top-left is a fucking abomination. They should be at the bottom-center, between the buttons on bottom-left and what is possibly the text feedback on bottom-right.

Then put them there. The GUI I saw had a lot of these things in different spots. You can move em around the screen as to your preference. The GUI is highly customizable.

Also, fuck perspective camera. Where is my orthographic projection, Fargo?

We've known for ages this game doesn't use orthographic projection. We've even seen it before.

Yes. Are those stance selection buttons on the bottom left side?

Think so, not sure, they weren't clearly labeled in the more detailed view I got of the GUI and I forgot to ask so I'm not sure. We'll know more in a few weeks when they explain the GUI and customizability much more in the big update.

Oesophagus

Arcane
Then put them there. The GUI I saw had a lot of these things in different spots. You can move em around the screen as to your preference. The GUI is highly customizable.

That's p. cool actually. I wonder whether that GUI in the video is finished, or whether it's just functional enough to be used in testing

St. Toxic

Arcane
We should kickstart some windows or proper lights for these guise.

I am not certain I like that interface. Portraits on top-left is a fucking abomination. They should be at the bottom-center, between the buttons on bottom-left and what is possibly the text feedback on bottom-right.

I quite like it the way it's set up, though if the gui is customizable then win/win for everyone.

:thumbsup:

MCA

Then put them there. The GUI I saw had a lot of these things in different spots. You can move em around the screen as to your preference. The GUI is highly customizable

Done:

zzSCn.jpg

:troll:

Also, fuck perspective camera. Where is my orthographic projection, Fargo?

We've known for ages this game doesn't use orthographic projection. We've even seen it before.

Ever so serious. I know. I just dislike perspective in my tactical top-down game unless the FOV is very low or you can change it. I am hoping that you will be able to change or mod the FOV if not the projection type.

Kahlis

Cipher
Baran Frygo doesn't sound so well. I hope he wasn't poisoned by Todd Howard. Or that Bony's hooker/booze theory is true.

Ever so serious. I know. I just dislike perspective in my tactical top-down game unless the FOV is very low or you can change it. I am hoping that you will be able to change or mod the FOV if not the projection type.
I'm the same. Perspective projection makes me think of Blizzard RTSes and whatever the hell you call that genre League of Legends and DOTA belong to. Too much frantic panning and distortion occurs too quickly when things move away from the center of the screen. I like how isometric makes everything appear equidistant from the camera, which makes sense if it's tile-based and everything is based on a certain scale.

Larendav

Educated
At least someone is making a tactical interface, which is customizable too.
:greatjob:

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Now that would make perfect sense on a proper 4:3 screen; however, with blasted wide-screens it is often more practical to have it on the side to keep the non-gui area roughly square-ish...

And yes, perspective projection is unfit for human consumption.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
which makes sense if it's tile-based and everything is based on a certain scale.

I wonder if Wasteland 2 will be describable as "tile-based". Will it look more like NWN1 (lots of repeated textures and prefabs) or like NWN2 (less repetition, more organic look)?

hiver

Arent those formations on the left of the Ui? (why call it stances btw?)
Hopefully they will have some actual effect on things.

Im starting to crave a bit of electric orange deserts somewhere, too.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Looking okay so far. They've got their path-finding plugin working, with some steering behaviors on top. I can't tell if the interfaces are functional, or are just mockups. They would likely be clicking on the interfaces if they were functional.

None of the shots so far look tile based.

Could be they only intend the combat to be turn based, or they are using a standard pathing plugin from the Unity store, as a placeholder. I liked the way they did tile based movement in the Shadowrun Online prototype, so I hope they do something like that.

Dustin542

Liturgist
Arent those formations on the left of the Ui? (why call it stances btw?)
Hopefully they will have some actual effect on things.

Im starting to crave a bit of electric orange deserts somewhere, too.
There are both stances ( the vertical three tiles showing stances are to the left of the portraits in VotS' latest posts) and formations in the UI.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Meh, all the art at this point looks like it's still in very early stages (to be expected). It's impossible to determine much based on any of the footage as so much is subject to change. The environment shown off looked bland, but of course, that's what stuff looks like before you've poured 500 hours into detailing everything.

edit2: either they haven't implemented a grid yet or game will be grid-free like in TOEE. I wouldn't know what to make of that if that is the case. I love my grids. I love that boardgame feel.
I want grid-based combat but then again, it's not like Wasteland 2 has a real precedent for grid-based combat.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
I have a feeling this is going to be an excellent game, a serious contender to compete with the original Fallout in the annals of turn-based Apocalyptic RPGs.

I think these guys are going to polish it to an extreme degree before release.

I for one can't wait for this to come out.

I am getting a serious hunger to work on my own PA game looking at these.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, there it went.

My ability to tell whether people are being serious or sarcastic. I don't know what hiver doesn't even know.

I have a feeling this is going to be an excellent game, a serious contender to compete with the original Fallout in the annals of turn-based Apocalyptic RPGs.

I think these guys are going to polish it to an extreme degree before release.

I for one can't wait for this to come out.

I am getting a serious hunger to work on my own PA game looking at these.

And thus spoke the Neanderthal.

I hope you're not being sarcastic, and I hope you are right about the game. If it gets even close to Fallout league, it will be glorious.

Kirtai

Augur
Well, there it went.

My ability to tell whether people are being serious or sarcastic. I don't know what hiver doesn't even know.
Poe's Law in action.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom