Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Brian Fargo talks about inXile's plans for Van Buren at Eurogamer

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Van Buren is a shitty name for a game... and torment is never going to be released this year.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
I wonder what kind of twist MCA could put on the post-apoc setting that it makes it worthwhile to produce another completely new post-apoc IP instead of just going for a Wasteland 3.
something post-humanity in addition to post-apoc would be cool, not sure what that'd look like without resorting to fantasy race tropes tho

A mix of cyberpunk and post-apo, maybe. Untapped genre if there was one.
cC1968ql.jpg

Kinda, but not really.

Kz3r0

Arcane
I'Who knows which other ideas for Van Buren were scrapped or what's on Avellone's mind.

Though it'd be weird to see him actively working for inXile while abandoning the company he co-owns and where he hasn't made anything important for years.
He pockets money as Sawyer makes Obsidian no-fun profitable while trying his bold ideas with someone else company Fargo.
Total win.:troll:

Azeot

Arbiter
Just Fargo yanking our chain.

Wasteland 2 was kickstarted as a Fallout successor, and since it wasn't received as well as he would've wanted, now he needs a reason to tap into those hopes again when Wasteland 3's turn comes (most likely next kickstarter). A "Van Buren" successor is just what he needs to string us along, so we're good and ready to give him our wallets.

He's monetizing our dreams.
Beth is monetizing our diarrhea, so I'll take my chances with Fargo

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Just Fargo yanking our chain.

Wasteland 2 was kickstarted as a Fallout successor, and since it wasn't received as well as he would've wanted, now he needs a reason to tap into those hopes again when Wasteland 3's turn comes (most likely next kickstarter). A "Van Buren" successor is just what he needs to string us along, so we're good and ready to give him our wallets.

He's monetizing our dreams.
Fargo is to Old School RPGers as Disney is to Childhood.

Lios

Cipher
what's up with that classy fan-made Van Buren remake? Is it still alive?

Turok

Erudite
I hope Fargo make the real Fallout 3 and just change it's name to something like "Out Fall 3" to avoid trademark issues.

ROARRR

Savant
Possibly Retarded
I AM IN! Whatever it is I am just fuckin in! Here take my money....:takemyjewgold:
Haha you all got punked. I am not that stupid, but still...I want to be

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Nobody except Tim Cain himself can make proper Fallout game.
Even he would say you're giving him too much credit.

A lot of the things a lot of people don't like in Fallout 2 were Tim Cain's ideas.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Zeronet

Learned
I'd be curious how they work in what's obviously a project name as the title of a game. Rather than a Wasteland spinoff, a new Post-apoc IP would be pretty welcome. Though i guess there are other ways to keep it wasteland, but seperate it, like being closer to the east coast.

himmy

Arcane
The one thing that makes this info interesting is the MCA name-dropping. If anything, we learned throughout the years that even projects which were well on their way were shielded from the press, yet Fargo doesn't just wave away mysteriously, as he usually does, talk of a possible title, but implicates Avellone. If he's anything like me, he was very enthusiastic about the talk he had with MCA, but h knows it's very likely the project won't come to fruition, so he starts talking about it to people so he can find himself (and MCA) pressed into pursuing it later on.

At least, that's what I do when I plan to do something I'm too lazy to do. Tell everybody about it, so I'll shame myself into doing it.

Edit: BTW, I'm applying to a PhD this year.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The one thing that makes this info interesting is the MCA name-dropping. If anything, we learned throughout the years that even projects which were well on their way were shielded from the press, yet Fargo doesn't just wave away mysteriously, as he usually does, talk of a possible title, but implicates Avellone. If he's anything like me, he was very enthusiastic about the talk he had with MCA, but h knows it's very likely the project won't come to fruition, so he starts talking about it to people so he can find himself (and MCA) pressed into pursuing it later on.

At least, that's what I do when I plan to do something I'm too lazy to do. Tell everybody about it, so I'll shame myself into doing it.

Edit: BTW, I'm applying to a PhD this year.
I hope it's not another academia humanities PhD, those should be outlawed or outright prosecuted.

Anyways, MCA or they will never see another penny from me.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Infinitron
You should put the link for the recent podcast Avellone did on Van Buren.
I haven't seen it much discussed around here, but some of the ideas they had for it are fucking cool, and i mean "Avellone's days of glory" cool.

Last edited:

valcik

Arcane
Roguey, Infinitron:
I don't mind some funny stuff here or there. Perhaps some oldfags here will burn me at stake for this, but anyway.. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is one of my favourite book series, I love dark and sarcastic humor in Fallout, even some pop-culture references in Fallout 2 made me chuckle occasionaly, and Old World Blues DLC fit my taste alright (content-wise). Yes, I've finished first Wasteland too. What I value the most is good gameplay and deep, complex mechanics, because that's where I'm actually playing the game. What's good story or excellent NPCs for, when you're playing some shitty bethesdian console port optimised for gamepad, with dumbed down mechanics and frenetic gameplay? Tim Cain working as a project leader haven't disappointed me yet, his digital simulations of tabletop games as Fallout or ToEE are great and Arcanum just rocks big time.

Tzaero

DEPARTED
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I wonder what kind of twist MCA could put on the post-apoc setting that it makes it worthwhile to produce another completely new post-apoc IP instead of just going for a Wasteland 3.
something post-humanity in addition to post-apoc would be cool, not sure what that'd look like without resorting to fantasy race tropes tho

A mix of cyberpunk and post-apo, maybe. Untapped genre if there was one.
cC1968ql.jpg

Kinda, but not really.

Can't do a post antiquity-scifi-apocalypse either as VD is doing that.

Hmm inkeeping with the cold war, what about dealing with the collapse of an offworld colony triggered by their innability to reconcile their previous life with their more current authoritarian one formed by the remnant of the US government as they fled the Earth as the Cold War turned hot.

Last edited:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
So what if Brian wants to do a fallout game, and is thinking of approaching Bethesda and doing a turn-based fallout game. Perhaps using VB as a guideline?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom