Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Brian Fargo talks about inXile's plans for Van Buren at Eurogamer

GloomFrost

Arcane
Actually I would love to see a post ap rpg in a completely different setting (I mean different from fallout). There is an awesome video made by TROIKA (can easily find it on youtube) and omg it has such an amazing and depressing atmosphere (thanx to soundtrack from DUNE). And now that Chris Avellone is available.....

A man can dream though, a man can dream...

valcik

Arcane
Totally. You should check out Underrail ASAP if you haven't yet!

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
A lot of the things a lot of people don't like in Fallout 2 were Tim Cain's ideas.

Quoting self for posterity posting.

Chris Avellone said:
So I am not keeper of the canon, but Anna was designed and intended as a real ghost in F2 (according to Tim Cain).

Ghosts, aliens, gangsters, that's what your precious Tim Cain thinks about the integrity of Fallout's post-apocalyptic 50s retrofuture setting. :smug:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
C'mon, that's the stupid tactic to take TBS. The real one is that Tim Cain says that's how it was designed not that he agreed with that particular design (which again a big reason he left Interplay was disagreements over Fallout 2 design).

Of course you could just not argue with roguey's barbs, but I suppose that's too much to ask for.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
C'mon, that's the stupid tactic to take TBS. The real one is that Tim Cain says that's how it was designed not that he agreed with that particular design (which again a big reason he left Interplay was disagreements over Fallout 2 design).

Of course you could just not argue with roguey's barbs, but I suppose that's too much to ask for.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_C...ment_.28August_1991_.E2.80.93_January_1998.29

Before leaving Interplay to form his own company in January 1998, he wrote the main story arc as well helping designing The Den area of Fallout 2

http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=7219
Tim Cain said:
In Fallout 2, I liked the Den the most, for nostalgic reasons. I worked the most in that area before I left Interplay.

Anna just happens to be in The Den. :)

naossano

Cipher
The point being ?
It is not because we like MCA better that Tim and his buddies weren't the creator of the IP in the first place. They have more right on it than MCA. (I mean morally speaking. Legally speaking, Todd's group have all the rights)

valcik

Arcane
I'd prefer one-purpose ghost joke from Tim over Sawyer's religious mumbo-jumbo any day of the week!

:rpgcodex:

throwaway

Cipher
[In which we witness the Codex hopelessly rationalising their age-old impulses]

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I played Fallout 2 first so nothing freaked me out

It's still funny though to see people arguing over canon as if Fallout 2 followed 30 years of stabilished fiction

I mean, what does it matter at this point when the series is at such great hands

valcik

Arcane
Mormons are real and not "mumbo-jumbo."
Yes, I'm well aware that mormons are real. As well as those people who do believe in ghosts are totally real. We and I think that people believing in ghosts are much more likely to appear in a post-apo world, fren! Ask Grampy-bone, he's mighty and strong spirit!

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Ghost are more likely to appear in Fallout 4 than Mormons. Think about that!

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I don't know about any retcon, I just assumed they were mutant experiments of some sort like other weird shit such as floaters

I don't know about any retcon, I just assumed they were mutant experiments of some sort like other weird shit such as floaters

I think all the mutations followed the the Thing rule that they had to be based on some type of real-world original (Floaters = flatworms, Centaurs = humans + dogs + cronenbergh, deathclaw = horned cameleon, etc.). Even in the retcon wanamingos break that rule by having just plain been created from FEV-air.

edit: apparently (bethesda-)FO3 was supposed to have "mutated wanamingos", making the circle complete:

valcik

Arcane
I'm still wondering about that religious part of modern Fallout.
In first Fallout there's just Children of the Cathedral cult, excellent stuff similar to the Servants of the Mushroom Cloud from first Wasteland, clearly inspired by religious plot in A Canticle for Leibowitz novel. Twisted, wicked, creepy cult raised from the ashes of devastated world. Now there are some real mormons too, wearing pre-war clothes (20th century stock!) in FNV, so I do expect some buddhists with tiny golden Buddha statues to appear at some point, as well as muslims wearing good old hijab in year 2280. That would be only fair, because muslims and buddhists are significant part of the United States population too, aren't they? Weren't they allowed to enter the Vaults or what? Were their communities destroyed by A-bombs completely in the Great War? That's something MCA and Josh should explain to us.

:rpgcodex:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom