Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Brian Mitsoda on Bloodlines

Vibalist

Arcane
Annie Carlson said:
(kidding. Sort of. But no, seriously, there are some places tits don't belong.)

Boy am I glad you're no longer working in the industry. :evil:

bhlaab

Erudite
Annie Carlson said:
kidding. Sort of. But no, seriously, there are some places tits don't belong.

Oh, what, like drinking fountains and public swimming pools? Yeah, real progressive thinking there.

Annie Mitsoda

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
All of this sounds like defensive talk. You're afraid, aren't you? Afraid of the titties that aren't the beautiful soft pieces of roundness immortalized in art. Part of your soul that just - scoots past the thought of old, wrinkly, hangy, veiny old-lady knockers. Tits don't stay lovely forever, lads. This you know. You've seen. You just don't like to admit it.

And in my defense - nuffin' wrong with boobs. When they're meant to be the main draw of a game costing $50 (I'm looking at you, pathetic piece of shit known as BMX XXX and the new Leisure Suit Larry) when one could just as easily, I dunno, look at the Internet for FREE, then I'd say they don't belong. (and also, seriously, if you only play games with the nudie mods, er, wtf. And especially if they're not equal-opportunity nudie-mods. If lasses be traipsing around showing their bits, guys should be tromping around with their tackle boxes on full display. Equal opportunity pervyness. Said it once, said it a million times.)

But lest the "games as art" debate vanish here into the mist (the mist of talk of titties, I guess) - I think there's nothing about games as a medium that prevents them from being art. It's all the buggery madness of putting that shit into practice. Any thoughts on attempting to work THAT out, plz to put into writing.

Vibalist

Arcane
Annie Carlson said:
All of this sounds like defensive talk. You're afraid, aren't you? Afraid of the titties that aren't the beautiful soft pieces of roundness immortalized in art. Part of your soul that just - scoots past the thought of old, wrinkly, hangy, veiny old-lady knockers. Tits don't stay lovely forever, lads.

Not talking from personal experience, are ya?

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Annie Carlson said:
All of this sounds like defensive talk. You're afraid, aren't you? Afraid of the titties that aren't the beautiful soft pieces of roundness immortalized in art. Part of your soul that just - scoots past the thought of old, wrinkly, hangy, veiny old-lady knockers. Tits don't stay lovely forever, lads. This you know. You've seen. You just don't like to admit it.

You do realize your posting on an RPG message board right? For most of the guys here, the only boobs they've seen have been in JPEG form. Pixelated boobs stay nice and firm forever.

Melcar

Arcane
What you got against older chicks huh? They need love too you know. Just because they lack youthful, perky tits does not make them any less of a woman. Dammit, I'm tired of seeing whorish teenage sluts with big tits draped on clothes that are 2 sizes too small; I want to start seeing classy older women NPCs with less than perfect tits. All those perfect tits are immersion breaking.

oldschool

Scholar
Annie Carlson said:
All of this sounds like defensive talk. You're afraid, aren't you? Afraid of the titties that aren't the beautiful soft pieces of roundness immortalized in art. Part of your soul that just -

I'm sorry, what were you saying? I totally scooted past that last bit...

Annie Carlson said:
But lest the "games as art" debate vanish here into the mist (the mist of talk of titties, I guess) - I think there's nothing about games as a medium that prevents them from being art. It's all the buggery madness of putting that shit into practice. Any thoughts on attempting to work THAT out, plz to put into writing.

Oiy. Games as art. That always makes me think of these clowns: http://tale-of-tales.com/TheGraveyard/index.html. Apparently "games as art" involves shuffling an old lady avatar through a graveyard and thinking deep thoughts. That's like a whole new level of pretentiousness. I had to look up how to spell that.

Most of the time, people talk about the graphics, or the music. The story. The setting. Any number of extraneous aspects of the game to define art. While those things may be art in and of themselves, they don't make the game art. If you want a game to be art, it has to be in the gameplay. That is the game after all.

This is a game I have a lot of interest in. One of the oldest game boards ever found: Royal Game of Ur. Dated @ 2600 BC.
Certainly the gameboard itself is art. Hand-crafted for the royalty of Ur. That doesn't make the game itself art, though.

But this: game graffito. A couple of guards got bored guarding a palace 1900 years later and scratched out this crude version of the game board. That, to me, points to the game as art. How else could the game span that length of time (and even into our present day), and accommodate such a crude presentation, without the gameplay having some artistic merit.

At any rate, I'm not smart enough to define what art is, but if the discussion is about "games as art", I think it should begin and end with the gameplay. Anything else is just...something else. My two cents, anyway(s).

Also: Boobies!

The End

bhlaab

Erudite
Games as art is using the interactive experience to tell a story or impact meaning onto the player. Which is tough, because the player rarely wants to stick to the script and if you're arbitrarily fencing in the player with either linear design or by cramming a pre-made story down their throats with cutscenes and scripted events then you've lost the point.

Hence, games as art becomes an old lady shuffling around a graveyard.

Vibalist

Arcane
bhlaab said:
Games as art is using the interactive experience to tell a story or impact meaning onto the player. Which is tough, because the player rarely wants to stick to the script and if you're arbitrarily fencing in the player with either linear design or by cramming a pre-made story down their throats with cutscenes and scripted events then you've lost the point.

Doesn't that depend on what kind of game you're playing?

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
good writing>no writing>bad writing

that's how important writing is to a game, problem solved.

Longshanks said:
Fat Dragon said:
Longshanks said:
Warren Spector. Should not develop games.
You must really hate Deus Ex, huh? :)
Deus Ex was cool, but what's he done since?

Since then the guy seems to have gone mad with (apparently rather genuine) regret about fucking up DEx2. Seriously - read post DE2 interviews with him, and he comes across as an utterly broken man. Hence his move to mobile phone games, where there are no hardcore fans to disappoint.

The real question you should have asked was 'what had he done BEFORE'. In that case, the answer is: Ultima Underworld and one of the System Shock games (I think SS2), and maybe even one of the Thief games - not sure on that last one. Put any 2 of those 4 together and you got yourself a place in the game-design hall of all-time-fucking-awesomeness. The fact he's a spent force now doesn't detract from that.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
He was a producer on the first System Shock and doesn't seem to have worked on the second or any of the Thief games, though he is mentioned on the special thanks list.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I believe Warren Spector's last game is Thief 3. He wasn't involved with DX2.

doctor_kaz

Scholar
Azrael the cat said:
Longshanks said:
Fat Dragon said:
Longshanks said:
Warren Spector. Should not develop games.
You must really hate Deus Ex, huh? :)
Deus Ex was cool, but what's he done since?

Since then the guy seems to have gone mad with (apparently rather genuine) regret about fucking up DEx2. Seriously - read post DE2 interviews with him, and he comes across as an utterly broken man. Hence his move to mobile phone games, where there are no hardcore fans to disappoint.

He doesn't seem to regret Invisible War too much, since he isn't even remotely interested in trying to make another Deus Ex caliber game. Also, what I have read makes him seem like he is still in denial over it. He doesn't want to accept that he should have listened to the legions of angry nerds who practically got on their hands and knees and begged him not to fuck that game up. I don't understand why this guy even gets press anymore. He's completely irrelevant to game development now. Kind of like John Romero.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom