Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Brigand: Oaxaca - post-apocalyptic RPG/FPS set in Mexico

Hi! Downloaded the demo because I enjoy STALKER so hearing this called MexiSTALKER instantly got my attention. Started as Gunslinger. Am dumb and don't know how to get out of the opening jail. Hint please?

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Hi! Downloaded the demo because I enjoy STALKER so hearing this called MexiSTALKER instantly got my attention. Started as Gunslinger. Am dumb and don't know how to get out of the opening jail. Hint please?
Don't you just talk to Ozee until Carmen shows up? Maybe you have to use the bed too.

Self-Ejected

Netch

Self-Ejected
How do you sell items to merchants? Is there a way to unload ammo from dropped weapons?
You don't sell items in this game, save for maybe a couple quests where an NPC wants you to bring a certain amount of a specific item or something. I don't think you can unload ammo either as far as I remember.

Brian Lancaster

Laughing Coyote Software
Developer
You can unload ammo by reloading a gun that uses the same type of ammo. It will automatically extract ammo from the first thing in your inventory, either a full clip or another gun.

Cpt. Dallas

Learned
I'm in the middle of Chp4 and enjoying this, but early game was rough with all the poisonous mutants. Noob tip: put at least 25pts into agility to outrun them. Losing both of my pack animals, er, companions, to go underground was rough given the inventory limit. I've only found one timed quest, the guy with the girlfriend taken hostage, and failed it.

It seems the 'cyborg' tribe are enclave stand-ins, and it's impossible to not make them hostile to progress the story by accessing a certain terminal. I can't for the life of me find Slim's terminal to open the south gate. I assume behind that locked alloy door and I haven't found the key, or that the only way out is via sewers.

Brian Lancaster

Laughing Coyote Software
Developer
I'm in the middle of Chp4 and enjoying this, but early game was rough with all the poisonous mutants. Noob tip: put at least 25pts into agility to outrun them. Losing both of my pack animals, er, companions, to go underground was rough given the inventory limit. I've only found one timed quest, the guy with the girlfriend taken hostage, and failed it.

It seems the 'cyborg' tribe are enclave stand-ins, and it's impossible to not make them hostile to progress the story by accessing a certain terminal. I can't for the life of me find Slim's terminal to open the south gate. I assume behind that locked alloy door and I haven't found the key, or that the only way out is via sewers.
The South Gate will open automatically after Ch.5 is finished.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Now you can enlist for Battles

After the events of Oaxaca, there are still lingering threats. As a merc in Uncle Bob's National Security, you must deal with three threats, which you can select from the very beginning. Each map is modified and filled with major armies battling each other.

The maps include:

-Loma Larga
-Oaxacan Jungles
-Ricardo's Plantation

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A modern love story:

367FE95050CF4D53CD7AA85F850353FB52B44EDE

C5DA7033AA2B8D9CF6CF7A988547D97B6F6D6D37

2D01D9F189DFB68F3FF9A1A452ACA74317DFA352

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Still didn't manage to pass the damn temple, but here are my impressions so far for those who don't know if they want to give it a try.

Screenshots look like a turd and give impression this game is a low quality indie trash.

But first impression couldn't be more wrong. This is actually a well developed game akin to some old classics.

Graphics are terrible, so is the audio, but the gameplay is incredible in a way. If you liked Deus Ex sneaking, combat and multiplicity of approaches, this is exactly how it works in Oaxaca. The world is structured as a multiple hubs, and it opens more and more along with the story. The story has multiple branches, you can certainly choose quite early in the game between two factions, perhaps more but I haven't got to that. Quests often have multiple solutions and the world makes you feel you are open to do what you want, not what you should, though there is obviously the main story to follow.

The world in the game is wicked and fascinating. I don't want to say much to take away your own exploration of it, but I did not thing of any aspect of the game world as it was copy-pasted or incompetently done. From factions to monsters, it was all done with dedication and fit the post-apocalyptic primitive setting with some low fantasy.

The player can develop character by appointing points to various skills which in consequence will affect the gameplay a lot. Focusing on stealth, hacking, voodoo, agility, combat and more allows for replays having a different game styles. Limited amount of equipment and the fact that weapons deteriorate and ammunition around is scarce adds to the challenge. Do, however, put some points in range weapons as unfortunately some parts of the game have unavoidable combat and with far away targets, so carrying a rifle to use at least sometimes is probably almost a requirement.

Overall, this is one of the better RPGs released in recent years. I was completely hooked on it, despite that the game can be quite challenging and required multiple attempts, sometimes a lot, to pass some parts of it. If you like challenge, wish to explore an interesting setting, and enjoy RPGs with gameplay of late 90s/early 2000s, then this is a game specifically for you! Even if it looks extraordinarily ugly and sounds like farts.

Konjad

Patron
In the end I really enjoyed Oaxaca, although had to cheat with quick-save since chapter 7. Nonetheless, while Brigand: Oaxaca was a very good game, Panama is a broken unplayable mess.

Chapter I
At the beginning of the game you have an option to choose either mercenaries or pirates. Kinda akin to the vanilla choice between two factions. I chose the pirates. First half an hour or so of the game was good, but then everything just breaks.

I visited the pirate den which was a few NPCs then arrived at a small beach settlement of mercs mostly. Had some boring fetch quest there and afterwards I was supposed to find out who put up some explosives, quest given by a lady called Bella. I wondered around the settlement lost, not being able to find anything for quite a while, then resigned went around the map through water and found some dude on a small island. He said he was the culprit and told me to destroy solar panels and bring rum. I did so, then returned to him and he took the rum but about solar panels said he's too tired and doesn't want to talk about it. Then I went around further and swam to another map with Kaifu pirates. They weren't talkative, so I went to some other place with assassins and eventually found some base with a dude and Bella. Another quest. Bella joins me.

Chapter III (there was no second one)
I go to some other location and get sniped all the time (was warned about it in chapter one), so I come back to the beach settlement. I meet Bella again, and she joins me too. I have two Bellas in my team now. I get a quest to defend the beach from the pirates. Since I kinda allied with these pirates already, so instead, I shoot mercenaries and eventually whole settlement is conquered. I go everywhere around but no progress can be made.

My only conclusion is that the option at the beginning was fake and I was supposed to side with the mercenaries, but since I did not I broke the game and everything afterwards were broken scripts.

Overall, this expansion is a broken mess not worth of your time or money, even though I would say the opposite about Oaxaca. Skip Panama and save yourself frustration.

Brian Lancaster

Laughing Coyote Software
Developer
Oh shit, did you miss the first conversation with Bella in Chapter 1? You always have to talk to Bella in Chapter 1 before visiting Gamboa no matter which faction. Thanks for the report.

EDIT: If you go with the pirates, you're supposed to talk to Bella immediately when you enter Gomboa from the cliff.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
This is why modern AAA games are all a linear sequence of scripted events in a hallway, Brian. You should learn from the pros.
Can't pass the damn ancient temple :negative:
I did the temple in Oaxaca without cheating but it was definitely hard as balls and took me like at least 15 deaths before I got through it. If you don't have the cyber eyes thermal vision implant by that point it'd probably be downright impossible without cheating tbh.

Konjad

Patron
This is why modern AAA games are all a linear sequence of scripted events in a hallway, Brian. You should learn from the pros.
Can't pass the damn ancient temple :negative:
I did the temple in Oaxaca without cheating but it was definitely hard as balls and took me like at least 15 deaths before I got through it. If you don't have the cyber eyes thermal vision implant by that point it'd probably be downright impossible without cheating tbh.
Yeah, ended up using the debug mode and quick-save scumming. I had no implants whatsoever.

Konjad

Patron
Oh shit, did you miss the first conversation with Bella in Chapter 1? You always have to talk to Bella in Chapter 1 before visiting Gamboa no matter which faction. Thanks for the report.

EDIT: If you go with the pirates, you're supposed to talk to Bella immediately when you enter Gomboa from the cliff.
I did talk to Bella though, but couldn't find who set up the bomb until finding Samuel on the small island. I also went later (also through water) to that Kaifu pirate village and through there to assassins (which I thought I was supposed to), and find Bella there again. She joined me and then I went back to Gomboa, and she was still there, also joined me. Samuel kept telling me that he doesn't care about solar panels anymore and is tired.

Konjad

Patron
OK, I started a new game, this time supporting FSB and reported Samuel, did not go to the other location through water and chapter 2 started without issues.

I think the first time I broke scripts first by going to some locations through water from Gamboa and/or supporting pirate invasion.

Last edited:

Brian Lancaster

Laughing Coyote Software
Developer
Oh, you should be getting auto-sniped if you swim up the canal too early. Don't know when that stopped working. Fixing now.

EDIT: Just fixed it, thank you. Hutch was supposed to be standing on a cliff auto-sniping you if you swim up the canal. He must have disappeared in the scripts when I was editing the maps.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom