Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bringing D&D/AD&D campaign settings to life with Stable Diffusion

Old One

Arcane
David A. Trampier famously abandoned his art career in 1988 (the last appearance of his Wormy comic was in Dragon Magazine #132 in April of that year) and died in 2014, so his style seemed fair game.
Was looking him up not too long ago. Fell off the face of the earth and resurfaced as a taxi driver years later; found only because he appeared on some errant college newspaper story.

I never liked Wormy all that much, but I still wonder what happened to this guy.

Mortmal

Arcane
View attachment 34462View attachment 34463

"by Frank Frazetta" is a great prompt element. I used the NKMD GUI for stable diffusion with ElldrethsLucidMix model
Good prompts for portraits are randy vargas,Vasily Vereshchagin, Thomas Kinkade, John William Waterhouse, Zdzisław Beksiński, Dan Mumford, Greg Rutkowski, Michael Parkes, Alphonse Mucha, HR Giger, keith parkinson, larry elmore , jeff easley
With DreamShaper always end up with good results:
OhG6gGO.png

N1GWFTt.png

Works good using my players real pic and doing some Img to img too.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
If someone has no taste and likes generic soulless style, "Deliberate" might be the best in this category.

Deliberate.jpg

Edit: I take that back. It's amazing. I'm almost there... almost at the perfection... the AI art with a SOVL...!

Untitled-2.jpg

Last edited:

orcinator

Liturgist
Midjourney turned off trials for the moment since they got a new model out. What's something else that has a feature that lets you use an image alongside prompts?

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Lagole Gon I love you. You truly are the king of Icewind Dale AND generic soulless art for people with no taste. I followed your prompt to the letter and I basically got what I wanted on the first try:

thumbnail.jpg
thumbnail.jpg

Icewind Dale, Lord Brightdale a valiant and aggressive knight urging to battle, close portrait painting, digital painting, high detail, art by Greg Rutkowski, Ruan Jia, Alphonse Mucha, Beksiński, John William Waterhouse

I'll probably do this for every single NPC in my current D&D campaign. I bestow unto you 10 Icewind Dale points.

Now I just have to pester Zed Duke of Banville to learn what he is doing with those backgrounds.

orcinator

Liturgist
Seems like Midjourney has cut the freeloaders off for good. Better go buy a grafix card so I can do more than 600x600.
In the meantime has anyone gotten decent results making weird monsters? I can get monsters when I'm not trying to make monsters but not when I'm intentionally making monsters.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Using one of the RPG models, it's possible to do specific monsters. I've done Kobolds and Goblins. If you want weird new monsters it's both easier and harder, depending on how exact you want to get its look. Random custom monsters are easy, but getting it to have a particular look is hard.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
You can let the program generate random monsters in the style of a suitable fantasy artist and receive results of sufficient quality to provide inspirations for new monsters in your campaign. The David A. Trampier embeddings that I previously created with textual inversion weren't quite as successful as I had hoped for, but even they can serve for this purpose:

00003-349400189-weird-monster-drawn-by-David-Trampier-Dungeons-Dragons-D-D-fantasy-art.png
00008-349400194-weird-monster-drawn-by-David-Trampier-Dungeons-Dragons-D-D-fantasy-art.png
00039-1516838589-weird-monster-drawn-by-David-Trampier-Dungeons-Dragons-D-D-fantasy-art.png

00043-1516838593-weird-monster-drawn-by-David-Trampier-Dungeons-Dragons-D-D-fantasy-art.png
00058-1816955766-weird-monster-drawn-by-David-Trampier-Dungeons-Dragons-D-D-fantasy-art.png
00068-1816955776-weird-monster-drawn-by-David-Trampier-Dungeons-Dragons-D-D-fantasy-art.png

Now I just have to pester Zed Duke of Banville to learn what he is doing with those backgrounds.
What backgrounds?
Still curious what NJClaw meant.

Alex

Arcane
You can let the program generate random monsters in the style of a suitable fantasy artist and receive results of sufficient quality to provide inspirations for new monsters in your campaign. The David A. Trampier embeddings that I previously created with textual inversion weren't quite as successful as I had hoped for, but even they can serve for this purpose:

00003-349400189-weird-monster-drawn-by-David-Trampier-Dungeons-Dragons-D-D-fantasy-art.png
00008-349400194-weird-monster-drawn-by-David-Trampier-Dungeons-Dragons-D-D-fantasy-art.png
00039-1516838589-weird-monster-drawn-by-David-Trampier-Dungeons-Dragons-D-D-fantasy-art.png

00043-1516838593-weird-monster-drawn-by-David-Trampier-Dungeons-Dragons-D-D-fantasy-art.png
00058-1816955766-weird-monster-drawn-by-David-Trampier-Dungeons-Dragons-D-D-fantasy-art.png
00068-1816955776-weird-monster-drawn-by-David-Trampier-Dungeons-Dragons-D-D-fantasy-art.png

What backgrounds?

I am usually against using ai stuff, but the monster with bunny ears being george floyded by the other looks fun to be honest.

PapaPetro

What backgrounds?
The pictures look scarier than the real life monsters they represent.
It's like these things photoshopped themselves for Instagram.

PapaPetro

Challenge: 19th Century and Victorian Era characters (or whatever) more-or-less in the style of Arcanum.

I'm not specifically requesting anything, mind you.
This one came out ok.
Not super Arcanum-esque, but getting there.

5GYhjhz.png

Risewild

Arbiter
Using one of the RPG models, it's possible to do specific monsters. I've done Kobolds and Goblins. If you want weird new monsters it's both easier and harder, depending on how exact you want to get its look. Random custom monsters are easy, but getting it to have a particular look is hard.
Yeah, I am trying to get a "goblin skeleton" picture (for a mod I have been working on for a while) and never managed to generate any good ones from AI yet.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Yeah, I am trying to get a "goblin skeleton" picture (for a mod I have been working on for a while) and never managed to generate any good ones from AI yet.
I got a few goblin skeletons to render just with 'goblin skeleton'. Using Perfect World atm.

It's just one of those things that will take time and experimentation to figure out.

PapaPetro

It's like a meta-game where you try to get an AI to read your thoughts.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
"Deliberate" got upgraded on Patience AI and all my methods to get grimdark paintery not-too-good stuff stopped working.
Everything is better now... but worse.

cute-witch.jpg

And it very often completely ignores the inserted image.
Eh... back to square one. Or maybe it's time to get a new PC on do it properly.

Last edited:

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
"Deliberate" got upgraded on Patience AI and all my methods to get grimdark paintery not-too-good stuff stopped working.
All is now cute and good looking.
Older versions are still on Civitai.

If you want to keep using a turnkey option, you should probably find one that lets you use older versions of models as well as newer, since most of the time the model authors are just merging in new models and not doing actual training.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom