Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview But wait! There is more...

Gwendo

Augur
Vault Dweller said:
Even though the land will be contaminated for decades after the explosion, somehow it will be a prime real estate

It won't be contaminated! In Fallout world, you can explode nuke cars, launch nukes with a weapon launcher. ANd it is said that supermutants with lots of armor could resist 30 atomic explosions!

See? No big deal. People just evolved and are immune to radiation. The supermutants are just people that evolved in the wrong path, and are almost immune to nuclear weapons...

elander_

Arbiter
"My dream sandbox game would have 3 factions with tons of quests and role-playing opportunities, and stuff to do after you finish advancement - and you shouldn't get to the top position. Alright, that wouldn't be much of a sandbox, but nevertheless."

That would have great potential. Text resources in crpgs are finite and so is testing time (which is the biggest time drainer) and the number of quality options we can get. Better to make it less but meaningful.

Koby

Scholar
Koby said:
You know, this is one of my biggest disappointments with MO (didn’t play DF...yet).

Being a head guild of any guild lands you straight into the bowls of politics/power struggles/state affairs and all that. It was a hugely missed opportunity, HUGE.

Addendum:

Hell it can be a ground for an entire RPG all by it self, think about it, you create a character, your first choice being the guild you want to be in charge of, which will depending on the guild you choose may or may not have restrains on the rest of the character creation process.

AnalogKid

Scholar
Section8 said:
- Option to not make a choice at all, presumably avoiding game content (i.e. not necessarily railroaded linear 2-path plot)
While that's partly positive, it's hard to consider that a logical option given the rewards of choosing a side. Give me a reason to not get involved.
I agree with most of what you wrote, and on this point my statement was pretty weak (trying to be quick). The lack of railroading is important to me, but I don't think this detail says anything positive about the plot. I agree that, if it's just a question of not engaging the game, then it's not really much of a "choice". It's more like apathy and if I'm that bored why would I play? So a real reason to "do nothing" as a third choice, and hopefully lots of other choices would be cool, but I don't really expect it from Beth.

Also, I think there's a HUGE difference between "do good, do bad, or ignore" and moral ambiguity. This is where almost all games since fallout fail, imo. Even F2 had mostly very obvious "good" and "bad" sides in most situations. Like I said, this is where I'm feeling strongly that Beth don't "get it". I'd give them a 1% chance of having even a handful of minor quests in the game that are actually morally ambiguous.

Section8

Cipher
I don't think that the Fighters Guild and the Mages Guild would be rival guilds. They cover different trades, which have nothing in common. But, realistically, what would stop someone from joining both guilds? The lack of need to do it.

True enough, but if you had a full-time job and you applied for another without any intention of leaving the first, you'd be shown the door. If you had a part-time job, and sought another your employer would doubtlessly ask lots of questions about your availability, and loyalty.

And even assuming you successfully maintain two jobs, as many people do - their ability to rise through the ranks in one is hindered by the other. A nightfiller or retail casual isn't going to step up to management unless they are able to dedicate more time to the job.

I don't see why guilds have to be any different - its a disturbing precedent that even lowly characters have free reign to come and go as they please. At the very least, a guild should demand services equal to the resources they provide their members.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
AnalogKid said:
Vault Dweller said:
Let's see:

There is a town built around a nuke.
It's not a crazy town as the sheriff looks/acts normal.
There is an evil real estate developer in a local bar who offers the first stranger he sees to detonate the nuke.
Because he wants to build something better on this land.
Because there is a shortage of land in wasteland
Even though the land will be contaminated for decades after the explosion, somehow it will be a prime real estate

Makes sense?
Now thats what you should have written in the newspost. All those details are scorn-worthy. But what you wrote was essentially "I can't believe they're giving choices and consequences! How stupid!" Not a critique (or even snide comment) about the lameness of the details.
Well, let's see then:

"So, uh ... basically you can either nuke the town for no reason - just because you can and thinks that it's cool, or you can leave the town alone, just because you can... I'm suddenly overwhelmed by them moral choices. "

That's the thing. Moral choices should be based on something other than "I can and maybe I will!". Let's say you start a game and see an NPC. The game designers give you a big hammer and tell you "go and whack him over the head, if you want to". Is it depth? Is it an agonizing moral decision? No, it's a dumb option that exists for no reason but to tell you "You wanted options? Here you go!"

This is exactly my point about bias. I know for 100% that you can understand the concept of some areas that you can only get involved with if you impress someone that will allow you in. Making friends and networking, baby.
That's linearity, baby. If you have only one way in and it only involves nuking an entire town, that's bad fucking design.

I mean, really, would you rather that no one in the whole world cares or reacts to you nuking the town? You're just being stupid here.
Thanks for the compliment. Anyway, why do you think that opening up a new area = someone cares / reacts about you nuking that town? The new area is a simple reward (and it comes with new itamz too!), not a reaction to your actions.

I've been around long enough to know that no-one ever "wins" an argument with you, VD, so I'm not going to try too hard.
If you've been around long enough, you'd know that quite a few people did. You just need to do a bit better than letting your wishful thinking do the talking.

AnalogKid

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
Is it depth? Is it an agonizing moral decision? No, it's a dumb option that exists for no reason but to tell you "You wanted options? Here you go!"
So if you can't have depth (because it's Bethesda and they seem incapable), and you can't have agonizing moral decisions (because the example is patently dumb), do you really prefer that you not even have options? I think my whole point has been, rip on the first two, but let the options be. You don't have to be happy about options you think are lame, but attack their lameness, not their existence (your discussion here has done exactly that, but I don't think the newspost comments did).

Vault Dweller said:
That's linearity, baby. If you have only one way in and it only involves nuking an entire town, that's bad fucking design... Anyway, why do you think that opening up a new area = someone cares / reacts about you nuking that town? The new area is a simple reward (and it comes with new itamz too!), not a reaction to your actions.
I don't get this, so if a quest/action has a reward/consequence, then it's bad, linear design? I expect each quest to have outcomes that can't be attained in other ways, that's consequence, no? I get your other points, but I still can't understand your opinion here as anything other than ... say it with me ... blind bias.

Vault Dweller said:
You just need to do a bit better than letting your wishful thinking do the talking.
Man, then I'm seriously screwed, becuase I don't have much wishful thinking for F3. :(

Vault Dweller

Developer
AnalogKid said:
Vault Dweller said:
Is it depth? Is it an agonizing moral decision? No, it's a dumb option that exists for no reason but to tell you "You wanted options? Here you go!"
So if you can't have depth (because it's Bethesda and they seem incapable), and you can't have agonizing moral decisions (because the example is patently dumb), do you really prefer that you not even have options?
Then the options are pointless. Like I said, imagine that joining a guild in Oblivion blocks all the other guild for you. Would it make it a better game?

Btw, here is a link for you - true moral choices, well presented, well developed.
http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=19459

I don't get this, so if a quest/action has a reward/consequence, then it's bad, linear design? I expect each quest to have outcomes that can't be attained in other ways, that's consequence, no? I get your other points, but I still can't understand your opinion here as anything other than ... say it with me ... blind bias.
So, if you can't understand my point, it surely means blind bias on my part? Is there a reason to continue arguing?

Section8

Cipher
AnalogKid said:
Vault Dweller said:
So if you can't have depth (because it's Bethesda and they seem incapable), and you can't have agonizing moral decisions (because the example is patently dumb), do you really prefer that you not even have options? I think my whole point has been, rip on the first two, but let the options be. You don't have to be happy about options you think are lame, but attack their lameness, not their existence (your discussion here has done exactly that, but I don't think the newspost comments did).

Vault Dweller said:
That's linearity, baby. If you have only one way in and it only involves nuking an entire town, that's bad fucking design... Anyway, why do you think that opening up a new area = someone cares / reacts about you nuking that town? The new area is a simple reward (and it comes with new itamz too!), not a reaction to your actions.

Vault Dweller said:
You just need to do a bit better than letting your wishful thinking do the talking.
Man, then I'm seriously screwed, becuase I don't have much wishful thinking for F3. :(

The issue at hand here isn't "weak options vs no options". Why should a Fallout sequel have weak options?

AnalogKid

Scholar
(Aside: I'm also very excited about The Witcher, even though it's twitchy. I expect it'll be fun for what it is)

Vault Dweller said:
So, if you can't understand my point, it surely means blind bias on my part? Is there a reason to continue arguing?
Only if you want to avoid being humbled and embarrassed by my multi-headed internet powaz!

You like to be semantic, and that's the biggest reason people don't often stick it out with you, but I'll try one more time... By "I don't get" I meant "I don't agree".

What you wrote: "If that one outcome is only attainable by making that one choice, that's bad, linear design."

What I wrote: "That doesn't make sense, the whole point of making a choice is to obtain a unique outcome."

I don't think it's my mental facutlies that need defending here, it's your viewpoint that flies in the face of all that is holy at the Codex that needs to be restated or clarified. To try and add focus: we're not talking about MORAL choices, we're not talking about major plotlines or events. By your own comments, we're talking about getting a reward for doing a particular quest.

I don't see how quests having rewards (aka: actions having consequences) can be a harbinger of bad, linear design except in a warped world where Bethesda can do no right.

AnalogKid

Scholar
Section8 said:
The issue at hand here isn't "weak options vs no options". Why should a Fallout sequel have weak options?
It shouldn't. And for, like, a hundred newsposts before this one, the weak options were being ridiculed. This one seemed to me a knee-jerk overreaction that DID make the issue one of weak vs. none, lampooning in favor of having none.

I could be interpreting VD's comments differently than he meant them. They're mostly there for zing and humour, not complex analysis, so that's totally possible. But in the discussion since, he has continued to defend the position that doing something (nuking) which creates a unique consequence (access to teh eval towaz) is a horrible thing. Calling those options weak is different than decrying that they exist.

Vault Dweller

Developer
AnalogKid said:
You like to be semantic, and that's the biggest reason people don't often stick it out with you, but I'll try one more time... By "I don't get" I meant "I don't agree".
I understand that. My objection was to "I don't agree with you, which could only mean on thing - you are blindly biased". Anyway...

What you wrote: "If that one outcome is only attainable by making that one choice, that's bad, linear design."

What I wrote: "That doesn't make sense, the whole point of making a choice is to obtain a unique outcome."

I don't think it's my mental facutlies that need defending here, it's your viewpoint that flies in the face of all that is holy at the Codex that needs to be restated or clarified. To try and add focus: we're not talking about MORAL choices, we're not talking about major plotlines or events. By your own comments, we're talking about getting a reward for doing a particular quest.

I don't see how quests having rewards (aka: actions having consequences) can be a harbinger of bad, linear design except in a warped world where Bethesda can do no right.
That's easy to explain. You are focused exclusively on the "quest-reward" aspect. Now, look it from the location design point of view.

You have a location that can only be accessed in one, very specific way. That's linearity. That means that if I'm replaying the game and want to visit this place I must do EXACTLY the same thing. Hence, the bad design comment. Now some questions:

Why can't I access it in different ways? Will they shoot me on sight? It can't be a secret hideout place, not with the word "tower" in its name, so it must be visible and thus accessible. Why can't I talk my way in? Shoot my way in? Sneak my way in? Why the only way to access it is to nuke a town? Is it an "epic mass murderers" private club? Like I said, first, it doesn't make sense, second, it's bad and linear design.

You keep ignoring my Oblivion example. Please reread it.

Selenti

Liturgist
Is it an "epic mass murderers" private club?

"Tally ho, good man! Heard that bang-up job you did in Megaton, help yourself to whatever you like. Wet bar's over there, and TARNATION, don't tell me they didn't get you a membership jacket yet? Purely complimentary of course...

Oh excuse me, it's about time for my mustache-waxing appointment."

elander_

Arbiter
Vault Dweller said:
Why can't I access it in different ways? Will they shoot me on sight? It can't be a secret hideout place, not with the word "tower" in its name, so it must be visible and thus accessible. Why can't I talk my way in? Shoot my way in? Sneak my way in? Why the only way to access it is to nuke a town? Is it an "epic mass murderers" private club? Like I said, first, it doesn't make sense, second, it's bad and linear design.

Where exactly does it says that you can't access that area by any other means?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Gavin Carter: You play [the Megaton quest] through the "bad" way and blow up the town, you erase everything in Megaton: all the quests that you might have gotten in there are now gone. But it opens up a new area, Ten Penny Tower, that you wouldn't have opened up if you didn't blow up the town. And that place has new quests, it has new items that you wouldn't have gotten.
Edit: It opens up a new area. Not gives access to it or tells you about it. It opens it up.

DiverNB

Liturgist
Or better yet, presuming that Ten penny Tower is built on the grave site of Megaton, why not have an option of having our character go in search of better land for this tower? Then, once that tower opens up, competition between it and Megaton begin, and you have a whole knew fucking slew of shit you can do between the two.

Shit, I need to be a developer.

AnalogKid

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
You have a location that can only be accessed in one, very specific way. That's linearity. That means that if I'm replaying the game and want to visit this place I must do EXACTLY the same thing. Hence, the bad design comment.
Alright, so let's compare to the recent Witcher example that I think we both agree is pretty good. In that case you either get quests/goodies/help from guy A or guy B, depending on your choice. If you want to get access to guy A, you must make EXACTLY the same choice every time you play through. Good or bad design? I say that it's not 1choice->1consequence chain that's good or bad, it's always like that (well, very often, anyway). In the Witcher case, it could even be worse because you don't have any foreshadowing or knowledge of the consequences, so it's like "surprise!" For me, though, that's what makes it cool because you're not making the choice as a min/max metagamer, you're making the choice based on philosophy (hopefully that of the role you're trying to play), so it's a good example of a moral choice that later has an effect on the game world.

Still, there's no escaping that it's every bit as restrictive as "do something, get some options and close off others", just like the Megaton example. Making that SAME CHOICE is the ONLY WAY to get guy A (or B), EVERY TIME YOU PLAY. So to repeat, it's not the direct causal link that matters, it's lots of other stuff, which is where your bias (aka previously justified expectations of Bethesda's incompetence) comes in and makes you immediately see their example as uniformly horrible and bad in all respects, even though it's exactly the same in structure as other examples you like.

Vault Dweller said:
Why can't I access it in different ways? Will they shoot me on sight? It can't be a secret hideout place, not with the word "tower" in its name, so it must be visible and thus accessible. Why can't I talk my way in? Shoot my way in? Sneak my way in? Why the only way to access it is to nuke a town? Is it an "epic mass murderers" private club?
Can't say, don't know.
Vault Dweller said:
Like I said, first, it doesn't make sense, second, it's bad and linear design.
Now again you're attacking the particular details of this choice->consequence, which may very well be bad design, but it's not bad just because the choice leads to an inevitable consequence.

Vault Dweller said:
You keep ignoring my Oblivion example. Please reread it.
I didn't mean to so much ignore it as grant it by not challenging it. But I'll take a slightly less over-the-top example that you've argued for yourself in the past:

If a fighter's guild quest required you to kill a higher-up in the mage's guild, and doing so locked off forever your chance of entering the mage's guild, while opening up the dark Brotherhood "guild", would that be better or worse than having other ways to get to the top of every guild?

You see, again it's not that every outome needs multiple ways to be achieved, only the high-level goals and plot developments need that for non-linearity and good design. Such a game would still be full of things that can only be accomplished by doing one specific thing and no others.

EDIT: If you HAD to get to "teh eval towaz" to progress in the game, and therefore HAD to detonate the nuke every time through the game, that would definitely be bad, linear design. But that's obviously not the case here, you can or you can't and the world you experiences changes some as a result.

elander_

Arbiter
Vault Dweller said:
Gavin Carter: You play [the Megaton quest] through the "bad" way and blow up the town, you erase everything in Megaton: all the quests that you might have gotten in there are now gone. But it opens up a new area, Ten Penny Tower, that you wouldn't have opened up if you didn't blow up the town. And that place has new quests, it has new items that you wouldn't have gotten.
Edit: It opens up a new area. Not gives access to it or tells you about it. It opens it up.

Then it's really bad. In Fallout we would always have a chance to sneak/hack in or talk our way in or even blast the fucking doors and pillage the place. It's not that choices are weak it's that this isn't Fallout style to restrict quests this way. And this is the preview they are throwing at us to show how they can do choices and consequences. It's fucking Oblivion except now they have branching story lines.

Vault Dweller

Developer
AnalogKid said:
Alright, so let's compare to the recent Witcher example that I think we both agree is pretty good. In that case you either get quests/goodies/help from guy A or guy B, depending on your choice. If you want to get access to guy A, you must make EXACTLY the same choice every time you play through.
Events and locations are different reward concepts. If you noticed, I never complained about the entire town worth of quests being gone - it makes sense. As for the example, here is the key difference - in the Witcher's example the consequences are the events, i.e. something happened as a result of your actions:

Option A - you sell weapons to "rebels" and innocent people, including key NPCs, die.
Option B - you don't sell weapons, and the rebels, including key NPCs, are arrested.

In Fallout 3, in addition to events, Bethesda adds a location as a reward, probably to compensate for blowing one up, which is silly.

In the Witcher case, it could even be worse because you don't have any foreshadowing or knowledge of the consequences, so it's like "surprise!"
You let someone buy weapons. Odds are they will be used. The only questions are how and when.

Still, there's no escaping that it's every bit as restrictive as "do something, get some options and close off others", just like the Megaton example. Making that SAME CHOICE is the ONLY WAY to get guy A (or B), EVERY TIME YOU PLAY.
Not so sure. A - you can kill these people yourself. B - since the rebellion plays some role, it's quite possible that you can betray it in other ways. I'll ask someone.

Now again you're attacking the particular details of this choice->consequence, which may very well be bad design, but it's not bad just because the choice leads to an inevitable consequence.
Not every choice->consequence combo is good. I had quite a few of questionable C&C stuff in AoD and had to change them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom