Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cassette Beasts - Pokemon but MUCH Better!!

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
This is the first time I see a pokemon-like game receive overwhelmingly positive reviews on steam as well as being hailed as one of the best games of 2023, so I'll post this thread here for those who might be interested.

https://www.cassettebeasts.com/

ss_580f8e3d83ab9357cface16e0272eb541f51984e.jpg

ss_4b4231e199091054d443b319f97811646fbab9d4.jpg

ss_e06730aacd65dbeb420adbc7dcdb71226ea979aa.jpg

ABOUT THIS GAME​

CassetteBeasts_Main_GIF_16.gif

CassetteBeasts_Description_Monsters.png

Adventure. Battle. Transform.

Collect awesome monsters
to use during turn-based battles in this open-world RPG. Combine any two monster forms using Cassette Beasts’ Fusion System to create unique and powerful new ones!

Welcome to New Wirral, a remote island inhabited by strange creatures you’ve only dreamed of, nightmares you hopefully haven’t, and a cast of brave folks who use cassette tapes to transform for battle. To find a way home you’ll need to explore every inch of the island, and record monsters to your trusty cassette tapes to gain their abilities!

CassetteBeasts_Header_GIF_1_v3.gif

Transform into monsters...using retro cassette tapes?!
Faced with the constant threat of monster attacks, the residents of Harbourtown, New Wirral choose to fight fire with fire. Record a monster to tape, then play it back to take on its form for battle!

CassetteBeasts_Header_GIF_2_v3.gif

Fuse monster forms!
Getting close to your companion has benefits–while transformed you can combine your strengths to gain the upper hand in battle! Any two monster forms can be fused to produce unique, fully-animated new fusion forms.

CassetteBeasts_Header_GIF_3_v3.gif

Explore a rich open world
Certain monster abilities can be used in human form. You’ll need these to help you get around, solve puzzles, and locate dungeons. Glide, fly, swim, climb, dash, or turn magnetic!

CassetteBeasts_Header_GIF_4.png

Travel alongside a diverse cast of human companions
Never fight alone! Form bonds, spend time together, and help your selected partner complete personal goals to become a better team. The strength of your relationship determines how well you’re able to fuse!

CassetteBeasts_Header_GIF_5_v3.gif

Master a deep battle system
Take advantage of elemental chemistry to apply extra buffs or debuffs alongside your attack, or even alter your opponent’s elemental type!

CassetteBeasts_Header_GIF_6_v2.gif

Play couch-co op with Friends
Team up in local multiplayer with a friend to explore an open world, transform and battle together! Facing the unknown as a duo will surely develop your relationship!

SerratedBiz

Arcane
I didn't really look at the game closely, but the monster fusion system reminds me of an old RPG on the PS1 called Jade Cocoon in which you fuse creatures together from various animal parts, with bizarre results. I thought it was cool, would be worth a try if this game allowed that level of customization.

flyingjohn

Arcane
This is the first time I see a pokemon-like game receive overwhelmingly positive reviews on steam
Because the amount of reviews is below 1k. Give it some time and it will got o very positive.
as well as being hailed as one of the best games of 2023
:roll:

Let's see what the top review says:
-Fast travel being listed as positive.
Big fat no from me, i enjoyed the backtracking because older Pokémon games have plenty to explore. The newer ones don't even have backtracking because they are mostly linear and if there is backtracking, there is something to help you go to places more quickly.
-Swappable move sets
Yeah no, that was one of the better things that stuck to Pokemon. You had to make choices and it was used as a rpg elements to make your mon into what you want. Plus, you could teach your Pokémon anything with bought moves so, not really a problem anyway.
-Better story
ss_ab46d3e31213f572e72b7284ef7fad1fc1bcf8d1.1920x1080.jpg

-Difficulty options
Nice addition, but romhacks figured this shit out generations ago. Have different mons depending on your lvl. Not a boots/decrease in ai stats.

Modron

Arcane
Played the demo, it's Pokemon made for lady sensibilities from the lilith fair music, to the pronoun selection, to the depictions of characters, how they are written and their relationships. I would rather play stuff like Monster Sanctuary which plays like a mashup of pokemon and worms or emulate an actual Pokemon game if was going to play something like that. A straight GB era pokemon clone like Coromon would probably be more fun.

Last edited:
cute little game, if you ignore the story. the beasts look retarded but still less embarassing than pokemons from generation 2 on. shame it gets too grindy quite fast. decent ost, i enjoy the "fused fight" song way more than i expected.

Rafidur

Learned
Kind of like the combat system and the default battle music, but man the art and characters are straight out of tumblr...

Favorite combo so far is the snake lady with "Two Heads" and "AP Drain" - she multicasts the AP drain, castrating an opponent, then hits twice next turn for massive damage.

Rafidur

Learned
Look for gameplay footage and five seconds in I see pronoun options. It's shit.
There's also a faction of comically evil vampire landlords, and rants about evil bosses that exploit you. It is written by a very specific kind of person.

edit: That said if you just skip all text it's decent enough, though inferior to games like Monster Sanctuary.

Last edited:

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Cassette Beasts: Pier of the Unknown DLC - Out Now!
9fddd96bee2791bf2661ffe87a307b1016f4db11.png

I welcome you all, the time draws near...
Come one, come all, to Brightside Pier!

Without further ado, you can now grab the new Cassette Beasts DLC, "Pier of the Unknown" on all platforms! Just a reminder as to what comes with this awesome addition:

• A new storyline to unravel
• A spooky new location with three carnival-themed attractions to uncover and explore
• 12 new monsters that can only be found and recorded within Brightside Pier
• Five new character cosmetic options
• This DLC brings the total number of monsters to 141, meaning you can now form 19,881 monster fusions!

b2a408ef95bfc1ec986f929f991f05ca710ae707.png

Check out the brand new launch trailer below:

Let us know what you think of the new content by joining us on Discord[discord.gg]!

a3fb3b149540b85b7b653fc5d8b96c0986403d25.png

For those new to Cassette Beasts, you'll collect awesome monsters to use during turn-based battles in this open-world RPG. Combine any two monster forms using Cassette Beasts’ Fusion System to create unique and powerful new ones!

Welcome to New Wirral, a remote island inhabited by strange creatures you’ve only dreamed of, nightmares you hopefully haven’t, and a cast of brave folks who use cassette tapes to transform for battle. To find a way home you’ll need to explore every inch of the island, and record monsters to your trusty cassette tapes to gain their abilities!

b92a55818afa932a3608b1d807b0d2192ec8eea0.gif

For those wondering, the Multiplayer Update is still in development and arriving as a free update for all platforms at a later date. Thanks so much for all your comments, reviews and kind words - the positivity from our community has helped make this possible! Once again, you can come and chat about Cassette Beasts with us and with our community on the official Discord server[discord.gg]!

Until next time!

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I got this for switch because a friend is into it. It's pretty good: Pokemon but for adults.

The shortcoming of real Pokemans games is just that they're too basic: "one anime critter in a row [with some execeptions]", 4 attack options each, and you trade attacks until your animals are all KO'd. It is a boring JRPG and JRPGs are already pretty boring to begin with. Cassette Beasts has a bit more tactical depth - you have two pokemans in a row rather than just one, they can have up to 8+ options for moves, you can reassign moves (even to a different pokeman), elemental damage is much more involved (and less of a hard counter) and the pokemans share a level with their master.

It's also at an appropriate level of challenge for an adult: I died one or two times to bosses so far. The exploration is decent - mild metroidvaniay stuff with bonfires and shortcuts. The fusion thing has only come up once or twice so far, I don't know if it really adds anything much.

It would be cool if they had trading, looks like that is coming. Hopefully switches can trade over wifi because I don't much feel like paying for nintendos online services.

I think saying that it's pozzed would be overstating it. Beyond pronouns I haven't seen anything much (yet). Well executed indie take on a popular franchise. If gamefreak made something of this quality the pokemans crowd would be ecstatic.

lightbane

Arcane
According to the reviews, it has backtracking problems (as in, too much backtracking and no teleport move equivalent until much, much later). Is that so¿

VonMiskov

Educated
The map is rather small. So backtracking isn't as much of an issue. I think more of a problem is late game grinding to level up more unique monsters.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Dragon Warrior Monsters already exists, and you have Akira Toriyama designs instead of DeviantArt designs.
There's also Monster Sanctuary, which is honestly just flat out awesome. And if you're a pokemon fan to begin with, there's a crapton of romhacks out there, a lot of them really creative and interesting.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Dragon Warrior Monsters already exists, and you have Akira Toriyama designs instead of DeviantArt designs.
There's also Monster Sanctuary, which is honestly just flat out awesome. And if you're a pokemon fan to begin with, there's a crapton of romhacks out there, a lot of them really creative and interesting.
And Pokemon fangames as well. Playing vanilla Pokemon is not recommended whatsoever.

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
According to the reviews, it has backtracking problems (as in, too much backtracking and no teleport move equivalent until much, much later). Is that so¿
Dunno, I'm fairly early but I've already unlocked fast travel. Not much backtracking so far - maybe it is to come. What is teleport?

lightbane

Arcane
Dunno, I'm fairly early but I've already unlocked fast travel. Not much backtracking so far - maybe it is to come. What is teleport?
I meant a quick travel move to immediately go back to certain locations, like cities, rather than having to trudge through half of the game to get there. Basically Fly in Pokemon games.

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
I meant a quick travel move to immediately go back to certain locations, like cities, rather than having to trudge through half of the game to get there. Basically Fly in Pokemon games.
Ok yeah it has that. You unlock tube stations on the island and you can then fast travel to any of them from anywhere (except perhaps in battle or when underground, not sure).

Cheesedragon117

Educated
Meh, I'd rather just play Pokemon >Clover again. That pixel art is on a whole 'nother level of shite. And given those trainer designs I'm not expecting anything award-winning from the story. We clearly need to impose a moratorium on college students being allowed to make indie games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom