Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CDP still rocks / TW2 incoming

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
DarkUnderlord said:
Of course, what makes it a really great RPG is that you have no choice as to what combat skills you level up. Your Steel Sword only works on certain enemies and your Silver on others. You fight both so you have to improve both.

Well, on my third playthrough (on hard) I decided to use steel sword only. All the tokens I would otherwise spend on improving silver fighting styles went on Axii and Yrden signs. To my surprise, this character built actually worked and I had lots of fun (I would even risk a statement that as far as combat is concerned I was enjoying myself more than before). To be perfectly honest, this was because I accidentaly made the game much more difficult. You think the fight with the Beast was hard? Try battling three Royal Wyverns at once with a handful of potions, and nothing but your enhanced red meteorite steel sword (I dumped the silver one almost as soon as I got it to avoid temptation). Epic! :D All the previously unused skills and signs, along with potions, oils and bombs safely stashed in my inventory suddenly became useful. As a result I got the experience I had hoped for from the start.

On the other hand, you could say that my built only proves how unbalanced the Witcher really is; how some skills are just so powerful that they effectively destroy the immersion (or immershun, if you prefer). With this accusation I would reluctantly agree. :(

Still, although the combat and character development in the Witcher are flawed, they are at least not inherently broken like, say, in MotB (which is, admittedly, a great game), in which, playing a Wizard, the peak of strategy I used was spamming Empowered 'Isaac's Greater Missile Storm' as hell. :twisted: (Talking about useless skills, I have never used any Epic spell out of necessity in this game )

Mic Turner

Novice
DarkUnderlord said:
Yes because clicking in time with an orange visual effect and woosh sound, then running around in circles until you heal up again is an infinitely better combat system.

Yeah, and it's also better than the Click & Forget system from the KotORs and the simply horrible one from the Gothics. It's fluid, it has a nice balance between player skill and character skill and it's showy, which is good for a game.
No, it's not TEH HOLY TURN BASED GRAIL, but it fits the game and this is pretty much all that matters.

Of course, what makes it a really great RPG is that you have no choice as to what combat skills you level up. Your Steel Sword only works on certain enemies and your Silver on others. You fight both so you have to improve both. Oh but you get to choose which style to focus on. Strong, Quick or Group. Not that, that matters either of course because once again, Strong style only works on some monsters, Quick style on others and you're fighting both so you have to get both anyway.

Oh, so we should throw all the lore from the books because you don't like silver swords?
Use the oils, then. Besides, you are a master swordsman more than anything else, so what's wrong?

But then, even if you do want to focus on something, it's not like you get a choice ther either. Like the tough decisions you have to make when levelling up your character. Let's see now, I've pretty much chosen all the useful Bronze level skills and yet I keep getting more Bronze talents. Guess I may as well pick the fist-fighting and other mainly useless ones and hope I get some Silver talents in the next Chapter so I can actually improve or something. God forbid I get too far advanced of where I'm supposed to be.

Oh, please, bitching about this is like crying because in d&d a wizard doesn't get to cast Fireball before level 9.
Edit:
Ok, there goes the example... make it a 5th level Cloudkill -_-

Remembering to stop and pick the flowers as you run by of course, because chances are high that someone will want 3 of / 5 of / 10 of them at some point.

No, remembering to stop and pick the flowers because alchemy is good, and it saves your hide.

Mic Turner

Novice
Hümmelgümpf said:
Mic Turner said:
Oh, please, bitching about this is like crying because in d&d a wizard doesn't get to cast Fireball before level 9.
It's level 5. :ruleslawyer:

Yeah, the need to sleep begins to rear his head. 9th level is for Cloudkill -_-''

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Mic Turner said:
the simply horrible one from the Gothics.

Yeah, I suppose that if you suck, the system really is horrible.

Gothics (1 and 2) actually had one of the best (if not THE best) real time fighting system I've seen in RPGs.

Mic Turner

Novice
Darth Roxor said:
Gothics (1 and 2) actually had one of the best (if not THE best) real time fighting system I've seen in RPGs.

What?
That clunky, unresponsive mess? Even leaving Gothic 3 out of the picture, the first 2 games were great despite their fighting system, not because of it.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Mic Turner said:
Darth Roxor said:

What?
That clunky, unresponsive mess? Even leaving Gothic 3 out of the picture, the first 2 games were great despite their fighting system, not because of it.

In your opinion good sir, in your opinion. :roll:

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Mic Turner said:
Darth Roxor said:

What?

yeah, the same clunky, unresponsive mess with which you could easily beat anything you faced if you were good at it.

But I suppose it might be bad if you just mash LEFT a gazillion times and then whine about the character swinging only once.

MetalCraze

Arcane
RainSong said:
no no. I'm talking about The Witcher, it's really good. I'm not sure what terrible game you are talking about, maybe someone wanted to rip off TW and failed and you played this fake TW and you didn't like it and now you are pissed off. I also would be pissed off if I would play some cheep inferior clone of a good game.

Yes I've tried to tell myself that this crap I'm playing is the real thing but it appears that the real thing is coming out on consoles while I had to play this shitty copy.

I mean, TW has so niiiice graphics, and so niiice music, and Geralt (the main character wink wink) is sooooo niiiiiiiiiiiice too.

OMG it has nice graphix and nice musik and a whole one good character. What else do you need from the game?

Raapys

Arcane
Gothic's combat is great.

Witcher is great.

Everything is great.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Here goes Gothic Shitstorm, everybody hold on.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
RainSong said:
no no. I'm talking about The Witcher, it's really good. I'm not sure what terrible game you are talking about, maybe someone wanted to rip off TW and failed and you played this fake TW and you didn't like it and now you are pissed off. I also would be pissed off if I would play some cheep inferior clone of a good game. I mean, TW has so niiiice graphics, and so niiice music, and Geralt (the main character wink wink) is sooooo niiiiiiiiiiiice too. I feel so sorry for you that you had to play some butchered shity fake copy of a niiiice game, if you want to know something more about the orginal TW you should read the review on rpgcodex, untill then

fuck off.
This is the very epitome of butthurt.

I mean, why feel so strongly for CD Projekt? They are just a development studio. What personal stake do you have with them? Are you a CDP employee? Is one of your friends or relatives a CDP employee? Did you finance or oversee the development of their games?

Why do you want to viciously defend a group of people who don't personally know or care for you?

Why is a videogame a source of your emotional commitment?

Even Volourn is not like this.

Mic Turner

Novice
Darth Roxor said:
yeah, the same clunky, unresponsive mess with which you could easily beat anything you faced if you were good at it.

But I suppose it might be bad if you just mash LEFT a gazillion times and then whine about the character swinging only once.

:lol:
Played 2 to the death (didn't have a pc when 1 came out), dragons and all, and beat Night of the Raven; I even fought the BOARS OF DOOM. It doesn't make it less clunky.

Raapys

Arcane
It's definitely clunky, but I found the combat enjoyable anyway. More so than in many other RPGs. It just takes a little while to get used to, which is true for the rest of the interface too( especially in G1 ).

RainSong

Scholar
skyway said:
RainSong said:
no no. I'm talking about The Witcher, it's really good. I'm not sure what terrible game you are talking about, maybe someone wanted to rip off TW and failed and you played this fake TW and you didn't like it and now you are pissed off. I also would be pissed off if I would play some cheep inferior clone of a good game.

Yes I've tried to tell myself that this crap I'm playing is the real thing but it appears that the real thing is coming out on consoles while I had to play this shitty copy.
no no no, you got it all wrong, console TW will be inferior cause there are less buttons on gamepad then there are on keybord+mouse.
I mean, TW has so niiiice graphics, and so niiice music, and Geralt (the main character wink wink) is sooooo niiiiiiiiiiiice too.

OMG it has nice graphix and nice musik and a whole one good character. What else do you need from the game?
you are asking me? I dont know. I think it's purrrfect

Being a big gay tubesteak hahahahahahahahag
skyway said:

Let it here be recorded; skyway only considers games good when they increase the bloom and make the combat even more consolfied.
Admit it. When nobody's looking, you steal your abusive uncle's Xbox and spend hours screaming profanities at people over Halo 3 Live.

DraQ

Arcane
RainSong said:
0c130a61632b09ae189352etf9.png
My GFX card is doing those, I just hope it lasts a few more days.

DefJam101

Arcane
Wow, the lot of you guys are being total jackasses about this.

I'm going to go make a game about console games in spite of this display of butthurt.

hiver

DraQ said:
Also, I guess it'd be possible to focus on just one or two styles - any style works against any opponent, the problem is that fast style will deal little damage and be blocked most of the time by strong opponents, while strong style will be dodged or interrupted most of the time by fast ones.
It's not that they don't work - when I managed to land strong blow on fast opponent, I almost always one-hitted them, it's that they're ineffective and inefficient.
Still, you can focus more on signs, or melee, or offensive alchemy.
My experience was that when i would try using strong style against enemies that fast or group style works bets on or reverse, Geralt would only manage to twitch in a peculiar way never making a full blow which would then be dodged or blocked.
Sometimes i could manage to actually perform the blow but i have no idea what caused that to happen very rarely.

I heard its supposed to be possible if your skill is much higher then enemy "defense" against particular style. I have no idea if this is true.

It would have worked much better if enemies actually had appropriate animations for dodging or blocking styles that are supposed to be ineffective against them.

As to the enhancement of combat in console version - i think its great because its obviously in the direction Witzcher combat needs to go.

I dont really understand calling this new system more appropriate for consoles then PC though. I feel its quite the opposite.
In fact this original system is much more appropriate for consoles.

I guess folks at CD Red saw it needed fixing but PR decided to hype it as they are doing now as "something more appropriate for consoles" in attempt not to admit they were wrong first time around. Silly.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Admiral jimbob said:
skyway said:

Let it here be recorded; skyway only considers games good when they increase the bloom and make the combat even more consolfied.

sorry but combat where you control the main character - and not just using attacks, but blocks and special actions can be consolified all right but it is better than the previously retarded simon-says monotone boredom. At least console combat will be less boring.
Also besides bloom they are also redesigning secondary quests - that MMO-like useless filler. CDP officially said all the above things.
So fanboys must decide for themselves whether CDP sucks or not - because when it comes to PC version they are flawless but when it comes to console edition CDP suddenly turns into a retarded studio that can't make games for shit and only can add more bloom. I find fanboi logic to be amusing though.

Admit it. When nobody's looking, you steal your abusive uncle's Xbox and spend hours screaming profanities at people over Halo 3 Live.
With more and more oldschool aka "smart" sites/forums turning into mediocrity outposts XBox Live is not needed anymore.

Deleted member 7219

The combat in the Gothic games was fantastically bad.

Best TB combat I've seen in an RPG is Fallout/Fallout 2, best RT combat is easily The Witcher.

Mic Turner

Novice
skyway said:
because when it comes to PC version they are flawless but when it comes to console edition CDP suddenly turns into a retarded studio that can't make games for shit and only can add more bloom.

It's called "tailoring to the customer's taste" :lol:
If they'll show they can still do that for the PC users then I'm good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom