Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Champions of Anteria (formerly The Settlers 8)

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Sorry, didn't notice there was a separate forum for those now. Does the Strat forum really need fewer visitors, though :lol:
If this will have anything to do with city building is yet to be seen.

I'd like to know how a forum combining Sims and City-builders came about in the first place. Sims, sure. But city-builders have more overlapping interest with other strategy games than Elite, or Kerbal Space Program, or Euro Truck Simulator etc. :rpgcodex: /sitefeedback

Talk to DarkUnderlord.

I myself have argued in favor of moving vehicular, flight and space sims back to General Gaming. On the other hand, games like Sim City are not really "strategy games" yet they don't really fit in with the action-focused General Gaming either.
The solution is to have threads linked from multiple relevant forums. It may even happen one day!

aron searle

Arcane
What I liked about settlers was creating a road/industry network that you could just throw any number of resources at and it would cope.

Then they took away roads, and all that was left was to just plonk buildings down, wait, spend resources, meh.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ers-game-is-part-city-builder-part-action-rts

The new Settlers game is part city builder, part action RTS
First screenshots released.

The new Settlers game, Kingdoms of Anteria, is a little different.

Ubisoft today released a few brief gameplay details and a handful of screenshots that suggest BlueByte's new Settlers plays like a city building game, as the series has traditionally, but in certain sections switches to a Diablo-esque action real-time strategy style of gameplay.

As Ubisoft puts it, Kingdoms of Anteria offers a "unique combination of persistent city building and real-time action strategy".

As you'd expect, you build and manage production chains and an economy, unlocking building upgrades and new sectors for your kingdom to expand into.

But you also fight enemies and bosses in tactical battles to earn resources and special loot as you level up. You choose a champion class and skill set to suit your style of play. There are thousands of different combinations possible, apparently.

Now for the action RTS part: you can team up with three other players to take on adventures and collect loot. The screenshot, below, shows a co-op boss fight in action.

jpg

You can also trade resources with friends to boost economic growth.

From the sound of things you can focus on either of these two gameplay styles. "No matter what players prefer, they will be able to focus gameplay on their favourite feature, either developing the Settlers' kingdom and optimising the economy or seeking tactical fights and new adventures," Ubisoft said.

The Settlers - Kingdoms of Anteria closed beta launches soon. Screenshots are below.

186x100
186x100
186x100
186x100
186x100
186x100
186x100
186x100
186x100
186x100

Dead Guy

Cipher
Yeah these are some true Settlers alright. They settle fights with epic bosses in REAL TIME ACTION and then settle arguments about distribution of phat lewt.

Not so much of the third dictionary entry though, adopt a more steady or secure style of life, make one's permanent home somewhere. This might be the most confused launch I've seen in a while...

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
As if the trailer wasn't an indication already.

Learn to trust the appearances you gullible doofuses.

If this did not ring anything in your brain, consider lobotomy.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Why does everything look like Warcraft 3/WoW?
:negative:

The "part city builder, part action RTS" reminds me of Stronghold, which was enjoyable, though.

m_s0

Arcane
Is "tactical" the new buzzword since even Ubisoft uses it in the context of a "real-time action strategy" now?

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I liked reading this thread from the beginning, second-guessing internally everyone who had hoped, to finally reach those final posts.

It's like I won whatever there was to win in Settlers 8.

Mazisky

Magister
The final game was announced today.

Actual game play for those interested (it is in german, but it's the only actual\recent gameplay avaiable)

GrainWetski

Arcane
I shouldn't be surprised, but I really am surprised that they tried to pass this off as a Settlers game. Has any franchise been raped as much as Settlers?

vonAchdorf

Arcane
They dropped the micro-transactions and gems - can't say the game interests me though.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
At least they are no longer claims this is a Settlers game:

After much discussion, we made the decision to steer this project in a new direction, meaning The Settlers: Kingdoms of Anteria as you know it no longer exists. However, we are excited to announce that we have been working hard to create a new game, a challenging real-time strategy experience that we are revealing to you today, Champions of Anteria. To be clear, the game isn’t part of The Settlers series, but a new adventure that will further explore the lands of Anteria.

For those who are wondering about the classic The Settlers series, rest assured that The Settlers is alive and kicking!

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
The entire production of that project was a big fuck-up. I heard a couple of stories from people who worked and who are still working at Blue Byte and I am actually surprised Ubisoft hasn't closed the studio yet (eventually they kicked some leads/manager).

It's sad for the series, because I really liked Settlers 7. Let's hope, they will go for another real Settlers.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Well, the project was kinda doomed when you saw the "gems" in the first trailer. It screamed F2P, but then turned out to be a full-price title with "micro transactions". I wonder which manager thought that would be a) a good idea in general b) be well received by the audience of a game with a long history. It worked for Settlers online, because Germans lover their browser games, but for a main title in the series, not really.

insukk

Augur
Patron
Codex 2012
Awesome, this game is what all my workers and generals in Settlers 2 were dying for. :shittydog:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom