Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Chaos Chronicles, Turn-based Fantasy RPG Announced

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Okay that overland map looks pretty fucking awesome.

kaizoku

Arcane
We are preparing the game for being modded in future (by massively using LUA scripting), but the editor will not be part of the first release.
What do you mean by first release?

Will you be releasing an expansion or another full game before that?

Glad to hear it's going to be mod friendly. Does this include the ability to modify core rules, spell behavior etc?
Yeah, was also curious about this one.
Are the game mechanics hard coded in C++ or are they scripted in Lua?

Actually you can have all kinds of GUI measures rendering those extra difficulties nonexistant - For example highlighting available targets and drawing character's attack range "shadow" on the ground at the movement cursor, possibly with tooltips indicating percentage of turn that will spent getting there and, for example remaining of attacks or AP in this turn after reaching the destination.

In Wizardry 8, for example (yeah, I know, FPP, blahblah) I didn't have any trouble assessing what targets will I be able to hit with my cone or AoE spell, because the game kindly highlighted the targets for me while I was aiming my spells. Had it not done this, it would be a potential argument for going fake 3D tile-based but it would be wrong argument nevertheless.

OTOH finer representation of the worldspace adds to the gameplay - it allows for better use and monitoring stuff like line of sight or weapon ranges, it allows for subtle and non-grotesque implementation of stuff like throwing potions, bombs AoE arrows or grenades, without resorting to silly shit like character throwing 'nades in completely wrong direction, because granularity of tiles doesn't allow for meaningful differences of accuracy when trying to keep stuff reasonably real (I'm looking at you, Fallout) and it allows much more organic environments that are still traversable.
In a top-down tactical turn based RPG where the positioning of many different characters matters a lot (not just the approximate positioning of the whole party like in FP W8), I can not possibly imagine these graphical aides used to remedy the situation as turning into anything else than a complete clusterfuck of epic proportions. In W8, I don't have to care wether or not I position my fighter in a way so that my own AoE spells do not hit him, when it is not my mage's turn yet. Will my ranger be able to shoot here if I put my fighter here, or will he be in the way, providing soft cover for those enemies in the distance? I'm trying to cover the escape of my mage, and thinking about how to do it. Is that space going to be big enough to pass through without triggering an attack of opportunity from that other bad guy? With a visible grid all of this is extremely easy to determine just by looking at the grid. In Wiz 8 I can highlight the enemies about to be hit by my cone spell when my mage is about to cast it, but IIRC there is no way to do it during my fighter's turn in order to position him somewhere where he won't get hit by it because that's not even an issue I need to take into consideration when planning out my moves in Wiz 8.

In fallout I hit my companions a lot while shooting. I think a lot of people can relate to this. Imagine how often that would happen if there wasn't even a hex grid to help me judge just how close to the target/my line of fire he's standing.

Or are you proposing some system where you could take out any template used in the entire game for measuring purposes all the time, like measuring on the tabletop in a wargame before moving and shooting? In that case, see the graphical aide clusterfuck comment I made. It's so much easier to just look at the grid. And, well, did I ever wish there was a clearly visible grid in ToEE? Yes! ALL THE TIME!

And regarding the world design having to all be all blocky hexagonal and shit to work, I think that's not entirely true. When I make battlemaps for use in PnP games, they don't conform to the grid, the grid conforms to the terrain, using the simple logic "if most of the tile is accessible, you can stand on it". The grid is put on top of the maps, with the only eventual confusion surrounding the doors, which I sort of conform to fit with it (AKA, make it obvious which grid border they conform to, or which grid they are on if they are on a gric, in which case you can stand on that grid if the door is open). I dould definitely imagine a game that works through rendering a combat grid on top of some pre-rendered levels, where the matching to the grid remains really subtle. If the levels are handmade and not generated, this should be perfectly doable.

And regarding meaningful accuracy fails, I don't see why this can't work on a grid. Just one tile wrong/a little bit in vectors can make a difference as to who gets hit with smaller AoEs. With really large ones you need lots of tiles or a greater distance to make a difference. Don't really see the issue, or the difference the use of a vector space would make, rather than the tile system not being able ti take into account the subtle nuances of throwing the grenade a few millimetres off target, rather taking into account only the more significant deviations of the grenade landing one or more tiles off the target. Yes, in games like Fallout and Arcanum, missing with grenades was sort of ridiculous, but I seriously doubt this was a result of the game not being vector based.

Ok, so a little on topic, I have a question about this implementation of transition from real time exploration to turn based combat. How much control will you have of your party's formation and positioning outside of combat and how will this affect the starting positions of your party members when combat has begun? Can you position your party meaningfully before combat begins or dou you have to do it like in Knights of the Chalice and jiggle the entire party around like an idiot to make sure the wizard isn't standing in the front row when you open the 2-tile wide door because there really is no way to reliably affect positioning outside of combat? This might sound like serious nitpicking, but I was really, really annoyed with this in KOTC and I would think this really easy to avoid just by giving some means to affect party formation during exploration (aside from just jiggling the party around until the formation that comes up is sort of decent).

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Does this mean you have Storm of Zehir-style overland map world maps? Or what does it mean that World Map travelling is real time?

Yes, it's similar to the NWN2 worldmap but our scale is different (perspective and scale are more like in Mount&Blade, a game that I personally enjoyed).

That is really really good. Also appreciate that you go for M&B scale and perspective.
Another very promising game for 2013!

ps.
Just a few days ago I was contemplating that 2012 has been, by far, the shittiest year for PC gaming (for me) I remember (like 13 - 15 years) with no prospect for the rest of the year. The only redeeming factor was Kickstarter projects being worked on (but promised to be delivered in 2013), and very few enjoyable games that saw the light of the day so far. To be honest, Game of Thrones cRPG and King Arthur 2 were the only games I remembered so far. Titles to come are probably, Dishonored and Stalker: Lost Alpha mod (if they are not fucking with us). And that is all.

ps2.
What is promised in 2013 looks like an old bottle of champagne that was supposed to be opened 4-5 years ago, but was left in the cellar and forgotten. Although, someone was manipulating with the cork, it did not burst. Now it looks like it will, and I just hope it will not taste like shit.

Marsal

Arcane
Why don't you tell us what exactly happened with JA and how it went from TB to RT, after you asked the fans and got an answer you didn't honor? Did you lie from the beginning or did something change to cause the shift in direction?
Ask somebody at bitcomposer, that's not our cup of tea. I already told you that we didn't decide anything of significance regarding JA:BIA. And we never had any kind of customer relationship - maybe you didn't notice it yet but we are a different company than bitcomposer.
Remember your opening post?
Hey there, I've just registered here to answer some of your questions.
I didn't force you to post here. You wanted to answer some questions? Then answer the questions.

You did make the game, did you not? Was it RT from the beginning or not? If not, when was it decided it would shift to RT and what was the reason for the change? Oh, you'd like to answer only softball questions? You have your blog for that shit.

What exactly is different this time in your relation to the publisher, why you lied about being self funded and why should we trust you this time?
Please read my previous posts, I already described the differences between both productions. And please go into details if you are talking about lies - you should carefully tell us what you exactly mean. And again, I already wrote Grunker about our funding.
You want details about your lies? Did you lose track? Whatever, here:
I am one of the guys who is currently developing (in my case: programming) the game Chaos Chronicles. In contrast to games we'd developed before, this game is our own project and we are free to talk about it without any control of some hesitant marketing/PR people.
So, it's your own game, no masters, no limitations, no PR bullshit. Great.

Those are not our words and you won't find them on our webpage (so just ignore them).
Oh, I guess there is some PR bullshit after all? What else should we ignore?

The pre-production started January 2010 but after 6 months we ran out of cash and that's why we had to start another commercial project. Earlier this year we went on with Chaos Chronicles. So, in total we already spent about 14 months development on this project. Beside self-funding with money from commercial projects we did, we've got funded by a german film funding called FFFBayern. To successfully complete the project we also receive payments from our publisher bitcomposer who is going to distribute the game worldwide.
Well, would you look at that! It's not your game, you're being financed by the same publisher you were making JA for. Isn't that interesting! I guess: "Hi, I'm one of the guys who fucked up made JA in cooperation with Bitcomposer! We're fucking making a new game, again in cooperation with Bitcomposer!" contains too much truth to be a suitable opening.

So, to sum up, the only difference is that it's your idea for a game (if you call ripping off D&D and Goldbox games an idea) and JA was licensed. Financing is the same. The development team is the same. Strings are being pulled by the guys with the money, again the notorious Bitcomposer. What if they decide that the game should be more like Baldur's Gate and imply they'll cut funding should the requested changes not be implemented? No need to answer that, you'll do as you did before, take the money and do as you were told.

Ignoring my posts may seem like a good idea, but it doesn't exactly make you look trustworthy or honest. I don't think you understand where you are. We are not here to provide you cheap publicity (except Grunker). If you continue to be vague and misleading, you needn't have come here at all.
I am not sure how YOU define "to ignore" but until now I answered to all your posts - but it could be a serious mistake to feed notorious trolls as you obviously are.
It could be a serious mistake to lie to and bullshit an angry hive of scum and villainy, and yet here you are. It could be a serious mistake to ruin Jagged Alliance franchise. Your life is riddled with questionable decisions, it would seem.

Notorious troll? Obviously. Tell me, what would you call a guy going around Internet forums peddling his game and lying while doing it? How about a guy who ruined a franchise by helping make a shitty sequel to one of the best games ever made? How about a guy that did both?

You answered nothing. All your "answers" are vague PR bullshit. Your game is scheduled to be released in half a year and you can't tell us any specific rules nor show us screenshots of the combat?

All you can say is that it's like those old games we liked, there are classes, you kill stuff and level up, but not too much, the rules are similar to D&D (you don't say) and it has hexes. Show us the fucking combat rules! It's not like anyone is going to rip off your D&D ripoff, FFS. Let us see the UI. Give us something that proves you're serious and committed. Your words carry no weight after JA fiasco.
I understand your anger regarding JA:BIA but when you have to decide between bankruptcy or developing a tactical game with an existing franchise as work-for-hire job I would choose the second option. And so I did.

I'm not angry about JA. I didn't even play your shitty creation. I am fucking pissed off that you would dare come here and "forget" to mention your previous and current connection to Bitcomposer. I am mildly annoyed that everything you say about your game is generic bullshit any random RPG player could make up on the spot. I am not amused that you refuse to give a straight answer to any of my questions.

You made a though choice and took the money? Good for you. I'd have taken the money too. Now, it's time to face the consequences and take the flak for it. See how that works? C&C, bitches! You even get to learn something about RPGs.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Website seems to be up again. Found this little titbit from the Nitsune preview:

Coreplay is going for a niche audience but wants this audience to be challenged to the point of breaking. In harcore mode, if one of your party members is lethaly wounded you can carry him to the nearest town to heal. In case he dies, there is still a chance he can be revived by taking his ashes to the nearest town. By investing gold and having a bit of luck the character can be resurrected. In what the developers called “insanely hardcore” you will not be able to resurrect squad members. But it goes further than that, the developer plan to only allow save point in towns. So no saving during dungeon, which will greatly increase the challenge to possible extreme levels.

I never liked straight up Ironman much, but save scumming isn't my thing either. Being able to save freely in towns sounds but having to take the dungeon from beginning to end without saving sounds good to me.

Actually you can have all kinds of GUI measures rendering those extra difficulties nonexistant - For example highlighting available targets and drawing character's attack range "shadow" on the ground at the movement cursor, possibly with tooltips indicating percentage of turn that will spent getting there and, for example remaining of attacks or AP in this turn after reaching the destination.

In Wizardry 8, for example (yeah, I know, FPP, blahblah) I didn't have any trouble assessing what targets will I be able to hit with my cone or AoE spell, because the game kindly highlighted the targets for me while I was aiming my spells. Had it not done this, it would be a potential argument for going fake 3D tile-based but it would be wrong argument nevertheless.

OTOH finer representation of the worldspace adds to the gameplay - it allows for better use and monitoring stuff like line of sight or weapon ranges, it allows for subtle and non-grotesque implementation of stuff like throwing potions, bombs AoE arrows or grenades, without resorting to silly shit like character throwing 'nades in completely wrong direction, because granularity of tiles doesn't allow for meaningful differences of accuracy when trying to keep stuff reasonably real (I'm looking at you, Fallout) and it allows much more organic environments that are still traversable.
In a top-down tactical turn based RPG where the positioning of many different characters matters a lot (not just the approximate positioning of the whole party like in FP W8), I can not possibly imagine these graphical aides used to remedy the situation as turning into anything else than a complete clusterfuck of epic proportions. In W8, I don't have to care wether or not I position my fighter in a way so that my own AoE spells do not hit him, when it is not my mage's turn yet. Will my ranger be able to shoot here if I put my fighter here, or will he be in the way, providing soft cover for those enemies in the distance? I'm trying to cover the escape of my mage, and thinking about how to do it. Is that space going to be big enough to pass through without triggering an attack of opportunity from that other bad guy? With a visible grid all of this is extremely easy to determine just by looking at the grid. In Wiz 8 I can highlight the enemies about to be hit by my cone spell when my mage is about to cast it, but IIRC there is no way to do it during my fighter's turn in order to position him somewhere where he won't get hit by it because that's not even an issue I need to take into consideration when planning out my moves in Wiz 8.

In fallout I hit my companions a lot while shooting. I think a lot of people can relate to this. Imagine how often that would happen if there wasn't even a hex grid to help me judge just how close to the target/my line of fire he's standing.

Or are you proposing some system where you could take out any template used in the entire game for measuring purposes all the time, like measuring on the tabletop in a wargame before moving and shooting? In that case, see the graphical aide clusterfuck comment I made. It's so much easier to just look at the grid. And, well, did I ever wish there was a clearly visible grid in ToEE? Yes! ALL THE TIME!

And regarding the world design having to all be all blocky hexagonal and shit to work, I think that's not entirely true. When I make battlemaps for use in PnP games, they don't conform to the grid, the grid conforms to the terrain, using the simple logic "if most of the tile is accessible, you can stand on it". The grid is put on top of the maps, with the only eventual confusion surrounding the doors, which I sort of conform to fit with it (AKA, make it obvious which grid border they conform to, or which grid they are on if they are on a gric, in which case you can stand on that grid if the door is open). I dould definitely imagine a game that works through rendering a combat grid on top of some pre-rendered levels, where the matching to the grid remains really subtle. If the levels are handmade and not generated, this should be perfectly doable.

And regarding meaningful accuracy fails, I don't see why this can't work on a grid. Just one tile wrong/a little bit in vectors can make a difference as to who gets hit with smaller AoEs. With really large ones you need lots of tiles or a greater distance to make a difference. Don't really see the issue, or the difference the use of a vector space would make, rather than the tile system not being able ti take into account the subtle nuances of throwing the grenade a few millimetres off target, rather taking into account only the more significant deviations of the grenade landing one or more tiles off the target. Yes, in games like Fallout and Arcanum, missing with grenades was sort of ridiculous, but I seriously doubt this was a result of the game not being vector based.

These are pretty much my sentiments on the topic. Compared to how incredibly little of value taking away the grid adds, the advantages of it are simply huge. But this is a difference of opinion; in my mind, RPGs are all about abstractions. Most of DraQ's posts are, in one way or another, about removing abstractions for the sake of "realism." I guess that's a valid opinion, but I just don't care personally, the gameplay comes first, and I have no problem immersing myself through the abstraction.

Removing abstractions ultimately means shifting to first person perspective and direct control of combat, and I like my RPGs isometric and the combat results to be handled by statistics and dice, thank you very much.

It's like when people discuss the realism in a Civ game. Come the fuck on man, Civ is as unrealistic as it gets, it's just really good at using abstractions to convince you it contains some realism. That's why you should question Longbowmen taking down tanks and shit like that from a realism perspective, it doesn't matter. Gameplay does.

Ok, so a little on topic, I have a question about this implementation of transition from real time exploration to turn based combat. How much control will you have of your party's formation and positioning outside of combat and how will this affect the starting positions of your party members when combat has begun? Can you position your party meaningfully before combat begins or dou you have to do it like in Knights of the Chalice and jiggle the entire party around like an idiot to make sure the wizard isn't standing in the front row when you open the 2-tile wide door because there really is no way to reliably affect positioning outside of combat? This might sound like serious nitpicking, but I was really, really annoyed with this in KOTC and I would think this really easy to avoid just by giving some means to affect party formation during exploration (aside from just jiggling the party around until the formation that comes up is sort of decent).

Good question - I'm curious about this too. I always thought ToEE's party formation system was fucking amazing, it gave you complete control and you could position characters as you saw fit within any distance from each other.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Marsal said:
It could be a serious mistake to lie to and bullshit an angry hive of scum and villainy, and yet here you are.
Yes, that's what Marshal likes to think about himself, he's the poster at the den of scum and villany, 6-years veteran of the Codex, internet toughest sonofabitch; just look at how good he is at pointing finger at those whom, unlike him, actually have to work and face life's tough choices... and this time is a RPG developer! Clearly this is his high point of his month, bashing developers for working for hire and them pursuing their dreams of making a classic, turn-based RPG with the money they earned.... what a man bros, WHAT A MAN!!

:bravo:

HobGoblin42, there's a very usefull ignore feature in this forum, I recomend using it.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
:lol:

Just couldn't take it anymore, huh? Well, feeding the troll is probably pretty much the definition of what you're doing there, but whatevs. Marsal is a cool poster oft times, but lately he gets these trolling-fits where he turns into an abberation, like a more efficient version of Skyway. Easy to see through, since he tends to take them over the top. Maybe he just up and decided the legitimate discussion wasn't worth it anymore. Hell hath no fury like a Codexer scorned.

Laugh with it, that's my advice for all the troubles of this worrisome little corner of the interwebs* :)

For me personally, my goal shall be to have such an honored place in his signature that he will reach the word limit.

*Ignore is for pussies though, ditch that shit bro.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Laugh with it, that's my advice for all the troubles of this worrisome little corner of the interwebs :)
Things like this hit me deep bro, I know too well the feeling of working for years of something you don't believe just to be able to follow your dreams later... it eventually pays off, but is a long, hard road.

Also, I tire of seeing developers come to the Codex only to be met by 1-2 retards that want to show how tough they are... that's why the likes of MCA, Fargo, Sven and Sawyer never post here.

*Ignore is for pussies though, ditch that shit bro.
I don't use it, it would just make me click more times per page... :roll:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
felipepepe said:
Also, I tire of seeing developers come to the Codex only to be met by 1-2 retards

I get ya bro, but that's the nature of this place. Never was a case were 'the sweet with the sour' was more true.

that's why the likes of MCA, Fargo, Sven and Sawyer never post here.

Bullshit, but this has been discussed to death. See the old topics on this. You're even factually wrong here, in the case of for example Avellone (see Bonus Info #3).

Summa summarum, most developers do not post here for one of four reasons:

1) They were unable to see past the bullshit. I guess this is your reason but without your bullshit implicit defence of the dev. A dev posts here on the same terms as every one else.

2) Someone told them their game/writing/dog was crap, they took offence and left.

3) They have to stay away for business-purposes, because we are not a "reputable" site. (I.e. we say what we mean and don't kiss their ass everytime they pass by). This can be self-decreed or a demand from their surperiors.

4) There simply isn't anything to be gained from posting here. This is probably the most likely reason, most often.

Enforcing rules on any of these points to get more devs to post here would compromise the very thing that makes the Codex, i.e.: not gonna happen. Devs can come here if they like, we're happy for it, but we're not going to treat them special and shoo all the trolls away. Grown people should be able to handle that shit, but many devs feel entitled.

The very reason I respect HobGoblin42 is the fact that so far he's remained calm in the face of bullshit. You know. Like regular Codexian bros.

Bonus Info #1: https://twitter.com/chrisavellone/status/161547382100729857

Bonus Info #2: The Watch is basically The Nice Guy version of The Codex, and no developers ever post there either. Why, I wonder? See reason #4.

Bonus Info #3: Avellone actually cannot post on the Codex under contract. This goes for many of the ones you list.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yeah, I read those topics back then... To be clear, I like the Codex the way it is today, it evolved well in the last years I've been following and I'm in no way asking for moderation, a "developer defense mechanism" or anything like that... but I still find personally annoying when people see a developer and decide to mount a "developer offense mechanism", in a way that only a shitty buzzword like "entitled" can define...

And I can't but think that MCA and the rest prefer to rule as "absent deities"; God-Emperor Avellone sits on the Golden Throne at Obsidian, praised he be; for if he actually came down here we would ask the hard questions, demand results and reopen the old wounds... not that we shoudn't, but the internet tend to make poeple too blunt, and probably no one is more bothered by Alpha Protocol shortcoming or "Obsidian=bugs" than MCA himself...

Call it latino heart, faggotory or whaterver, but I do feel empathy for people working hard to make something they believe in, that's why I was so glad to help doing those trailers for Oscar and why I get so pissed off at people that only focus on pulling them down, that's not what bros do. :cool:

ironyuri

ITT:

HoboGoblin42:

Sheepskin.gif

substitute "daughter" for, game genre you love

we the inept producers of jagged alliance back in action are making a totally true to the golden age rpg, just the kind you love.

you won't give us any problems, right?

Marsal: wrong.

Codex response:

JEKKYLJEKKYLHYDEJEKKYLHYDEHYDEJEKKYL.gif

Marsal:

sylvester-stallone-rambo-dvd-movie-films-3d-gif-animation-blogspot_206210226.gif

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
You did make the game, did you not? Was it RT from the beginning or not? If not, when was it decided it would shift to RT and what was the reason for the change? Oh, you'd like to answer only softball questions? You have your blog for that shit.
You want details about the JA:BIA development? Then find a way how I can bypass our NDAs and contracts, and I will tell you everything. Until then, I can only refer to my previous posts. I came here to ask some core RPG player for their feedback and if you think this is some kind of PR promotion then it's your business. But after working in the games industry for more than 18 years now, it would be a surprising news for me that people from Marketing or PR are posting in a hardcore RPG forum during their weekends.

You answered nothing. All your "answers" are vague PR bullshit. Your game is scheduled to be released in half a year and you can't tell us any specific rules nor show us screenshots of the combat?
Marsal, you will definitely find your way into our game - as malificent troll chief. Feel honored. I think during our combat beta tests, I'll enjoy slashing him and his evil breed again and again (in a turn-based combat of course).

And we will go into details with the combat, but first of all we have to finish the first complete playable version of it. After that happens, you guys will see screenshots of the combat in the first place. We will not promise anything that we can't deliver later.

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Glad to hear it's going to be mod friendly. Does this include the ability to modify core rules, spell behavior etc?
Yes, all skills, powers, actions and spells are scripted in LUA.

What size is the team? How much do you need to sell in order to continue making games like this? Is this planned as a long-term affair (or at least, are you hoping for it to be so)?
About 15 people. I would really to create a long-term series of it, like Phantasie I-III for example. In contrast to other games we did before, I can definitely imagine to spend many years with this project. I can't tell so much about sales projections right now but this project isn't without financial risks - we still don't know the number of core RPG player outside.

Also, is the ToEE engine recreation guy somehow associated with you, perchance?
No.

Lastly, as others have said, you say the right things, but a gameplay video would go a long way towards gaining trust. I'll gladly promote you if a favourable one is made available.
There will be gameplay videos, and until then I don't ask for trust but for your feedback.

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
ForeverdarkWoods and DraQ:

We are attentively following your discussion about grids vs free movement like ToEE. Although we already decided to go with a hexgrid, it's always interesting to hear opinions outside the own studio.

Currently, when changing into the combat mode our game switches from real-time free movement to a turn-based grid limited movement. This works pretty well until now, because the transition between exploration and combat feels very smooth and natural. But this system also implies that you can't select your initial combat position after the combat has been initiated. Fortunately, in the exploration mode you are able to select the leading character and the kind of formation you want to use. We will see if this mechanic is already sufficient regarding the tactical effect of your character's initial positions in combat. But it's definitely not a good idea to enter unknown rooms with your Wizard first.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Wow, almost missed this thread, mistakenly thinking it was about a jRPG ! What I've read so far, sounds very promising and when delivered will hopefully be successful for you guys. I always loved the more dark settings in D&D and await eagerly to this gem. Overland map looking great btw. Oh Msrsal's last words in-game should be along the lines of "I concede !!" :)

kaizoku

Arcane
Marsal, you will definitely find your way into our game - as malificent troll chief. Feel honored. I think during our combat beta tests, I'll enjoy slashing him and his evil breed again and again (in a turn-based combat of course).
9hALF.jpg

make him gay, just for the additional butthurt :smug:

I have a feeling Grunker will be pleased with this.

Yes, all skills, powers, actions and spells are scripted in LUA.
This is excellent!
So in theory one could mod any ruleset in it.
*so much win*

About 15 people. I would really to create a long-term series of it, like Phantasie I-III for example. In contrast to other games we did before, I can definitely imagine to spend many years with this project. I can't tell so much about sales projections right now but this project isn't without financial risks - we still don't know the number of core RPG player outside.
Cool. I wish that the next iterations will allow for your party to get corrupted and join the evil forces (similar to ToEE).

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I really like the screenshots that have surfaced and your game concept sounds promising, HobGoblin42. :salute:

Count me in among those Codexers who are looking forward to your game and wishing you all the best.
Aber wenn ihr's verkackt, dann gibt's Donnerwetter. :P

Suchy

Arcane
I'd be fapping furiously right now, but I'm at work unfortunately. Fuck the haters, make this game happen and take my money.
:takemymoney:

How will the dialogue system work? Any stat/skill checks or possibility for a more diplomatic character build?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Bonus Info #2: The Watch is basically The Nice Guy version of The Codex, and no developers ever post there either. Why, I wonder? See reason #4.
Gaider posted at the Watch until he got bored. Patrick Weekes, another Bioware writer, did as well, until they offended him with their anti-Bioware attitudes and he made a big weepy post on his livejournal about how he had to stop visiting another RPG forum because of it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom