Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Character Creation philosophy

What type of RPG player are you?

• I make a character that resembles me as much as possible (loser RPG player)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I make a character that gives me as many combat options as possible (tacticsfag)

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I make a character that is more likely to give me better control over the story (storyfag)

• I try to make interesting characters and enjoy watching the game unfold based on the character I mad

• I make a character that is as powerful as possible in every respect (egofag)

• Character creation just gets in the way of popping moles (KC option)

• Total voters

mondblut

Arcane
ever said:
I think of a character as a person I'd encounter and then create them with their strengths and weaknesses.

I'd recruit all the fighters and fighter paladins and be a paladin myself

ever said:
I'm actually anti larping

:lol:

ever

Scholar
Yeah I'll give you that, you have a point.

It's the strategy I employ by pursuing the option:

"I try to make interesting characters and enjoy watching the game unfold based on the character I made"

When I think of larping I think of pretending to do things cause the game doesn't let you, not staying "in character." But I can see why staying in character may be larping for someone who considers the goal of playing a role playing game to become as powerful a combatant as possible.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Probably a mix between 2 and 4. I'll usually set out with a certain character type/types in mind and won't change it up too much as the game mechanics become known to me, instead focusing on making my characters as powerful as they can be with what I've given them; for example, I'm playing Wizardry ATM, and despite multiclassing many times to make the most of my characters, I've always put them back in their "default" roles after doing so, with only slight changes in what they actually do in combat save better. If that makes sense.

DraQ

Arcane
ever said:
When I think of larping I think of pretending to do things cause the game doesn't let you, not staying "in character."
Pretty much the definition of virtua-larping (also things that game lets you do, but doesn't react to while it should). It's not that there is a lot of room for ambiguity here.

VirtuaLARP = working around system (or lack of threof) to roleplay.

nihil

Augur
Project: Eternity
I usually create a character based on Beat Takeshi and see what unfolds.

violent_cop_3.jpg

sonatine_beat.jpg

But sometimes I invest a little in it and take the "classical RPG player" approach, if I feel the game might be worth it. For party based games, I'm usually lazy and pick a number of characters from movies/books/games and use as templates. I don't know what that approach would be called.

malichaixx

Novice
ChristofferC said:
mondblut said:
Mastermind said:
b) Did play BG2... all of which had full party creation and were released past '97.

:what:
??? BG2 does have full party creaton and it was released past '97.

In what universe is creating ONE character and then having a bunch of NPCs tagging along constitute full party creation?

malichaixx

Novice
markec said:
I only play RPGs that allow me to make extremely hot and sexy female characters with excuse that I do this only to watch their asses, but in truth I do this because I dream of having breasts.

the reason that 95 percent of all Oblivion mods exist :smug:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
malichaixx said:
ChristofferC said:
mondblut said:
Mastermind said:
b) Did play BG2... all of which had full party creation and were released past '97.

:what:
??? BG2 does have full party creaton and it was released past '97.

In what universe is creating ONE character and then having a bunch of NPCs tagging along constitute full party creation?

Dumbfuck detected.

SkeleTony

Augur
Seems that RPGamers tend to go with character builds that are the exact opposite of who they are in real life. I tend to prefer huge, brawny, intellectually challenged and ugly orcs, ogres, trolls and shit. My friend who is a big guy prefers(and pretty much always creates) elvish rogues/assassins. Another friend of mine from back in the day was rather portly and always created fairies, elves and shit. Guys I knew who really COULD fight if they had to tended to play wizards or thieves or scientists and other guys who could not fight their way out of being bukakied by wheelcharied rapists tended to play rogues, barbarians, thugs etc.

jancobblepot

Educated
SkeleTony said:
Seems that RPGamers tend to go with character builds that are the exact opposite of who they are in real life. I tend to prefer huge, brawny, intellectually challenged and ugly orcs, ogres, trolls and shit. My friend who is a big guy prefers(and pretty much always creates) elvish rogues/assassins. Another friend of mine from back in the day was rather portly and always created fairies, elves and shit. Guys I knew who really COULD fight if they had to tended to play wizards or thieves or scientists and other guys who could not fight their way out of being bukakied by wheelcharied rapists tended to play rogues, barbarians, thugs etc.

Thou hast lost an eight.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I try to make interesting characters and enjoy watching the game unfold based on the character I made (classical RPG player)

Especially in True Fallout and FIMO2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom