Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Character Creation philosophy

What type of RPG player are you?

• I make a character that resembles me as much as possible (loser RPG player)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I make a character that gives me as many combat options as possible (tacticsfag)

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I make a character that is more likely to give me better control over the story (storyfag)

• I try to make interesting characters and enjoy watching the game unfold based on the character I mad

• I make a character that is as powerful as possible in every respect (egofag)

• Character creation just gets in the way of popping moles (KC option)

• Total voters

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So, what goes into the decision making process when creating a character for you? I generally try to make interesting characters and stick to them, but it frequently descends into powergaming, particularly if the game is easy to abuse (M&M7, Morrowind).

Zomg

Arbiter
New game: Make a generic fighter or tank-killer-healer party, get annoyed halfway through the game when I realize all the unpredictable ways that the build sucks. Turns out you only ever get a wooden pistol of shittiness, woops

Game with known system: Make some shit that has a objective as an interesting or strong tool, like exploiting some particular mechanic or another. It doesn't have to be the ultimo badass build, especially some shit that only starts working with 80% of the game finished, but all the parts should work together - a gameplay-aesthetosperg if you will

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I voted the classical RPG choice.

I enjoy crafting a character (assuming single character game) who is going to be a challenge to play, but who won't face any unreasonable hardships. intentional weaknesses are common for me in a D&D system, as I think that adds spice, but going in blind and just choosing what strikes my fancy is best for gameworlds I'm not familiar with.

For some people any signs of weakness or inefficiency stirs mad rage, and that's interesting to me. The age-old story of power gamer vs. purist, I guess.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
"I try to make interesting characters and enjoy watching the game unfold based on the character I made (classical RPG player) "

I just make a character I wish and play as that character. It doesn't matter how good or not i will be in combat and other things. Of course I put at least a little in combat skills, so I can manage to fight.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Fantasy Themed RPGs - Make battlemage or kamikaze dual-wielding dude.
Modern Times RPGs - Make agile Gunslinger/Sniper.

mondblut

Arcane
"A character"? What kind of a popamole newfag consoletard RPGs-were-invented-at-Black-Isle poll is that?

I create a well-rounded PARTY, you 97-bandwagon-hopping fag.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Isn't your party composed of characters you create individually? Or was your post just meant to show how much a of a dungeon crawling badass you are? We already know that. :M

Anyway.

If I have to create a single character, it's most probably a magic user (or equivalent in non-fantasy settings) with some persuasion skills.

If I have to create a party I try to make it as varied as possible. One of each class, one of each race. Of course if the selection is limited and some options are gimped, I'll pick repeats.

Ebonsword

Arcane
My first play through of a game is almost always using a character (or characters) that have whatever abilities seem cool to me at the time (I think my first playthrough of NWN2 was with a warlock/assassin because having an assassin who could cast invisibility at will seemed really badass--probably wouldn't have been my first choice if I had known how undead-heavy the game was going to be).

On my next playthrough, I've usually read all of the available FAQs for the game and end up creating something uberpowerful, or, perhaps, a build that lets me experience as many alternate paths as possible.

I try to make an interesting character. I don't care if he's not very efficient, as games are rarely that demanding. For example, in NWN a monk is much stronger if it's a pure class all the way, but around chapter two I also took a level or two of Shadow Dancer, because I though the summonable shadow was cool.

Excidium said:
Isn't your party composed of characters you create individually? Or was your post just meant to show how much a of a dungeon crawling badass you are? We already know that.

Mondblut must be so used to blobs that he can't tell individuals apart, anymore.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
mondblut said:
"A character"? What kind of a popamole newfag consoletard RPGs-were-invented-at-Black-Isle poll is that?

I create a well-rounded set of numbers, you 97-bandwagon-hopping fag.

Fixed, monseigneur

mondblut

Arcane
Excidium said:
Isn't your party composed of characters you create individually?

If that is the case, I create a party consisting of a fighter, a paladin, a ranger, a cleric, a thief and a mage. Incredibly novel and poll-worthy idea, huh?

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
I try to make an interesting character. I don't care if he's not very efficient, as games are rarely that demanding. For example, in NWN a monk is much stronger if it's a pure class all the way, but around chapter two I also took a level or two of Shadow Dancer, because I though the summonable shadow was cool.

Excidium said:
Isn't your party composed of characters you create individually? Or was your post just meant to show how much a of a dungeon crawling badass you are? We already know that.

Mondblut must be so used to blobs that he can't tell individuals apart, anymore.
Mondblut has said that he prefers top down to blobs, so this joke doesn't work.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I'm mostly an ego/tactics fag lately. If the game has a good story and many choices and paths, then I might be more of a RP fag and go with any of the other options.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
At my first playthrough I try to spend as little time as possible creating my character and only look if some skills/functions are "cool" initally to me, then I roll with them and see ingame how my character sucks at aspect a or b but play through it nonetheless, to make my second playthrough more thought out and planned.

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
I generally make an interesting character, something tactical between stealth, lockpicking, hacking, with a minimal magic ability, or at least some interesting weapons and tactics to use on the battleground with final build choices.

However, I am a terrible powergamer/munchkin, so I picked egofag, because I like to go back and experience every choice, and given the option, will roll for stats for hours, placing them in options I *know* I want to max out given time...

Not that it matters, but thinking back, I wish I'd taken a much more brilliant patch of simply roleplaying my character, instead of worrying about how powerful they become--it would have made MUD's, for instance, a much better experience for me, when I was intense into them, instead of a rollfest for the most powerful character, which inevitably ended up getting PKilled by someone who'd spent less time rolling, as opposed to exploring and building their character a place IN the gameworld. Spreadsheet logic sucks...

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
mondblut said:
Excidium said:
Isn't your party composed of characters you create individually?

If that is the case, I create a party consisting of a fighter, a paladin, a ranger, a cleric, a thief and a mage. Incredibly novel and poll-worthy idea, huh?
Indeed. :lol:

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Übermensch is always my goal. Master as many things as possible - or at the very least the most powerful ones.

MMXI

Arcane
mondblut said:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
mondblut said:

That's pretty funny seeing how I

a) Barely played torment.
b) Did play Icewind Dale, BG2, m&m 6-7, Wiz 8 and Icewind Dale 2, all of which had full party creation and were released past '97.

I'm sorry if the past 15 years of your gaming time was spent playing first person shooters with stats. :M

MMXI

Arcane
DraQ said:
MMXI said:

I recruit a well-rounded PARTY, you 97-bandwagon-hopping fag.
Fix'd.

:smug:
Didn't I state many times that I much prefer creating an entire party? Oh look, I did!

Go back to your single character action games. :smug:

DraQ

Arcane
MMXI said:
DraQ said:
MMXI said:

I recruit a well-rounded PARTY, you 97-bandwagon-hopping fag.
Fix'd.

Didn't I state many times that I much prefer creating an entire party? Oh look, I did!

Go back to your single character action games. :smug:
I will. In between my romantic evenings with true party based ones.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I only play RPGs that allow me to make extremely hot and sexy female characters with excuse that I do this only to watch their asses, but in truth I do this because I dream of having breasts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom