Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Character Creation philosophy

What type of RPG player are you?

• I make a character that resembles me as much as possible (loser RPG player)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I make a character that gives me as many combat options as possible (tacticsfag)

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I make a character that is more likely to give me better control over the story (storyfag)

• I try to make interesting characters and enjoy watching the game unfold based on the character I mad

• I make a character that is as powerful as possible in every respect (egofag)

• Character creation just gets in the way of popping moles (KC option)

• Total voters

made

Arcane
First I pick the portraits that most closely resemble my favorite fantasy heroes (Raistlin, Drizzt, Conan, etc.) then I assign them a class and customize their stats to match the character (like, Raistlin is very smart, but has low strength and stamina). It puzzles me why anyone would do it any other way.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
made said:
First I pick the portraits that most closely resemble my favorite fantasy heroes (Raistlin, Drizzt, Conan, etc.) then I assign them a class and customize their stats to match the character (like, Raistlin is very smart, but has low strength and stamina). It puzzles me why anyone would do it any other way.

The characters I make up are vastly superior to the other shit out there, both obscure and mainstream. :rpgcodex:

Too bad virtually every game other than Arcanum and Daggerfall have shit character creators while those two are virtually unplayable.

made

Arcane
Mastermind said:
made said:

The characters I make up are vastly superior to the other shit out there, both obscure and mainstream.
I call bullshit on that claim. Raistlin > any character you could ever conceive.

Multi-headed Cow

"I try to make interesting characters and enjoy watching the game unfold based on the character I made (classical RPG player)"

Storyfag option also occasionally. Most of the time I just make a character and gimp myself in some way on purpose just because I want to play a pure fighter or pure wizard or whatever the hell. Last time I made a character purposefully as powerful as possible was when I was playing KotOR1 7 times I believe. Was doing smuggler for sneak attacks and jedi-fighter for leap so I could leap sneak attack.

TNO

Augur
Out of all the games you could try and power-game, you pick KOTOR? I bite my thumb at you sir. I'm pretty sure you could win any combat on normal with auto-attack.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Multi-headed Cow said:
Last time I made a character purposefully as powerful as possible was when I was playing KotOR1 7 times I believe. Was doing smuggler for sneak attacks and jedi-fighter for leap so I could leap sneak attack.

Wouldn't it be better to go scoundrel -> consular so you can stun them and turn every subsequent attack into a sneak attack?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Much cooler to train double-bladed lightsaber and flurry. It's like being a ventilator of death.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
I make characters thinking of power/meta-game and LARPing... but in general I find the character systems in every game a bit disappointing, kind of like when you meet an invisible wall or some sort of map boundary, know what I'm saying?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Four would be nice, but since so few games actually let you do it I can't pick it up as an option.

I'm somehow between 2 and 3, with more shift towards 2, unless the game is heavily geared towards story. I think PST is really the only game I play as 3 actually, even with Fallout I played as a combination.

hakuroshi

Augur
While I like to follow classic RPG approach, my first characters are always munchkins so I picked egofag option.

If I replay a game, then I may create a different build which is not nesessary powerful or efficient.

If there were still cRPGs made that accommodated option 4 in meaningful ways, I would've picked that.
But since the best to hope for in character builds is entertaining yourself with combat, I just go for the Option 2 (tacticsfag), so I don't fall asleep performing the same 1-2 maneuvers through the whole damn game.

And "control over the story"? It may sound all edgy and stuff, but I can't recall a single game in the last decade the story of which gripped me enough to make me want to willingly take part in it. It's all either boring old cliches or uninspiring attempts at epic emofaggotry. Bleh.
PS: VtMB had an okay - if themepark-ridiculous, by WoD setting - story. But the player had pretty much no control over any of it, bar the epilogue, so it's irrelevant to the 3rd option.

Multi-headed Cow

Excidium said:
Much cooler to train double-bladed lightsaber and flurry. It's like being a ventilator of death.
Yeah, I did that too. Pissed me off when Obsidian nerfed attacks per round in KotOR2 :x

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Shannow said:
I make a character that is as powerfulcompetent as possible in the role he supposed to have.
So you don't necessarilly want a mage that may be better in fighting than a fighter but bad in spellcasting? :smug:

But can't that sometimes be a good idea? You start out the game thinking that spellcasting is the way to go and defeat early enemies with spells. Once things change, you decide to put on some plate armour and longswords.

Frankly, that's how I think many RPGs were meant to be played. In my first playthroughs of Daggerfall and Fallout, the character I had halfway into the game was very different in purpose from the character I was building at the beginning.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
made said:
Mastermind said:
made said:

The characters I make up are vastly superior to the other shit out there, both obscure and mainstream.
I call bullshit on that claim. Raistlin > any character you could ever conceive.

“‘Raistlin! You have on black robes! How wonderful! Can I touch them? Oh, all right. You needn’t glare at me like that. It’s just that they look so soft. Say, does this mean you’re truly bad now? Can you do something evil for me, so I can watch? I know! I saw a wizard summon a demon once. Could you do that? Just a small demon? You could send him right back. No?’ Tas sighed in disappointment.”
:thumbsup:

Anyway,

I seem to always create the same (main) character in every game I play, be it true RPG or ARPG or Hack n Slash.. Just trying to come as close as I can to that ideal character that I have in mind. It changes slightly over time, Ranger, Ranger/Thief.. back to pure ranger.. with maybe different alinements to see what would work best storywise and for what I would hope to see unfold during gameplay.

Never been much of a power-player, I usually go for what feels right and then if I'm not allowed to use that super powerful Good-only sword, then so be it.

made

Arcane
DwarvenFood said:
“‘Raistlin! You have on black robes! How wonderful! Can I touch them? Oh, all right. You needn’t glare at me like that. It’s just that they look so soft. Say, does this mean you’re truly bad now? Can you do something evil for me, so I can watch? I know! I saw a wizard summon a demon once. Could you do that? Just a small demon? You could send him right back. No?’ Tas sighed in disappointment.”
:thumbsup:
Indeed. But let us marvel at a few select quotes from the Master Magus himself:

What magic exists that could be powerful enough to banish the knowledge from my heart that I had once been loved. Not even death can do so much.
I will do this. Nothing in my life matters except this. No moment in my life exists except this moment. I am born in this moment, and if I fail, I will die in this moment.
So dark. Endless darkness, eternal. It was not the absence of light that was so frightening as the absence of thought, of knowledge, of comprehension. Our lives, the lives of the living will go on. The sun shines, the moons rise, we will laugh and talk, and he will know nothing, feel nothing. Nothing. So final. It will come to us all. It will come to me.
In my sight, it is always winter, always night.
Someday, fat innkeepers will bow to me.
And bow they did.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Excidium said:

stasis/insanity + sneak attack does not preclude double-bladed lighsabers and flurry. In fact they work quite well together.

mondblut

Arcane
ChristofferC said:
BG2 does have full party creaton

mp.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom