Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Character Creation philosophy

What type of RPG player are you?

• I make a character that resembles me as much as possible (loser RPG player)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I make a character that gives me as many combat options as possible (tacticsfag)

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I make a character that is more likely to give me better control over the story (storyfag)

• I try to make interesting characters and enjoy watching the game unfold based on the character I mad

• I make a character that is as powerful as possible in every respect (egofag)

• Character creation just gets in the way of popping moles (KC option)

• Total voters
Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I think you can create a full party on multiplayer. But you're going to miss all the awesome party banter and romance.

MMXI

Arcane
s4bfvs.png

:M

PorkaMorka

Arcane
In the very rare event that I'd deign to play a game where you only get to control one character...

Hybrid melee fighter / magic user.

I like the ability set of a D&D fighter/cleric, although I don't particularly like the cleric's fluff if I only get the create one character, as I'd prefer to be out for myself rather than for a god.

Fighters are too simple to have as your only character in most games. You don't get very many abilities so winning often just comes down to luck and stats.

Mages are pretty tactical but too one dimensional and their loot isn't very much fun for me. I'd rather get a suit of magic plate than a magic dress and certainly a magic weapon > a magic staff. And from a fluff point of view mages tend to be girly men.

Seems a bit silly that most adventuring mages wouldn't learn how to defend themselves passably with a weapon.

If it's a game like Baldur's Gate where I can only create one character but get to control a full party of NPCs then I'd be a lot more willing to play a limited but important role like fighter.

Nukester

Novice
For single characters I almost always choose whatever race/profession has some sort of healing and I tend to turtle up and go heavy on defense and armor, figuring I could always boost the offensive side of things with some "fat loot". Interestingly enough I very rarely play paladins though. So normally Id go Cleric or Fighter/Cleric if its feasable with the engine

mondblut

Arcane
Excidium said:
I think you can create a full party on multiplayer. But you're going to miss all the awesome party banter and romance.

You can create a full party in PST using character editors. Does it count too?

What matters is how the game is supposed to be played, not the exploits.

MMXI

Arcane
mondblut said:
You can create a full party in PST using character editors. Does it count too?

Yep. Multiplayer is an exploit. Playing multiplayer is not how multiplayer is meant to be played.

made

Arcane
mondblut said:
Eh? What matters is that you have the option to create a full party if you can't stand joinable character faggotry. You of all people should appreciate that.

mondblut

Arcane
made said:
Eh? What matters is that you have the option to create a full party if you can't stand joinable character faggotry. You of all people should appreciate that.

I can do that in nearly any game featuring followers with only a few minutes of modding, hex editing or googling for console commands. From JA2 to Morrowind. That doesn't make them games with a full party creation, and neither does running BG in fake multiplayer mode.

You did gave me an idea, though. If I'll ever have a perverse urge to try BG series again, instead of foregoing party banters and romances, I'll just hack the followers to be whatever stats and classes I wish them to be (i.e. the kind of people I used to create in fake mp). And nothing will be lost :smug:

MMXI

Arcane
mondblut said:
I can do that in nearly any game featuring followers with only a few minutes of modding, hex editing or googling for console commands. From JA2 to Morrowind. That doesn't make them games with a full party creation, and neither does running BG in fake multiplayer mode.
Ah, but it's not a fake multiplayer mode. The multiplayer mode merely allows the host to delegate control of characters to players in the game. If no players are in the game then the host gets full control. There's nothing fake about it.

mondblut said:
You did gave me an idea, though. If I'll ever have a perverse urge to try BG series again, instead of foregoing party banters and romances, I'll just hack the followers to be whatever stats and classes I wish them to be (i.e. the kind of people I used to create in fake mp). And nothing will be lost :smug:
Oh, but if you care so much about romances and inane banter you can still recruit those NPCs in multiplayer games. Therefore you can have your full party creation as well as the storyfag shit that you secretly enjoy.

:smug:

FatCat

Educated
Creating custom party in BG&BG2 can be overkill , unless you play on insane.

+ Edwin (best NPC in BG series) is better than anything you can create without cheating.

mondblut

Arcane
MMXI said:
Ah, but it's not a fake multiplayer mode. The multiplayer mode merely allows the host to delegate control of characters to players in the game. If no players are in the game then the host gets full control. There's nothing fake about it.

Fake multiplayer = creating an MP game with custom characters, saving it, copying the folder to sp saves and playing it sp from then on. If that doesn't qualify as exploit, I don't know what does.

Therefore you can have your full party creation as well as the storyfag shit that you secretly enjoy.

Except that custom mp followers disappear for good if dismissed.

MMXI

Arcane
mondblut said:
Fake multiplayer = creating an MP game with custom characters, saving it, copying the folder to sp saves and playing it sp from then on. If that doesn't qualify as exploit, I don't know what does.
:retarded:

I never said to do that. Just play through in multiplayer without transferring the save to single player. It's not difficult. And it's not an exploit. So why the bitching?

mondblut

Arcane
So you rather pretend you're playing with 5 imaginary friends and are just taking care for their characters until they reconnect?

:retarded: indeed.

MMXI

Arcane
mondblut said:
So you rather pretend you're playing with 5 imaginary friends and are just taking care for their characters until they reconnect?

:retarded: indeed.

So just because it's called multiplayer you are forced to LARP multiplayer? Is the urge to LARP so great for you that you have to transfer your save to single player?

Johannes

Arcane
Doesn't matter if it's an exploit really. If you enjoy playing that way, just do it, unless you or your computer have some huge issue with slight cheating in a singleplayer game. It's not that different from playing with the recruited guys anyway. Yeah, not much different from editing the stock partymembers either, but sure go ahead with that too if it suits your fancy. Or download some awesome 3rd party NPCs, with luck you'll get some sweet gay romance on the side as well.

Though there's some disadvantage in having a MP created party compared to the normal SP mode. Usually the followers scale to your level (possibly only when you first enter the area where they're in, not sure), but with a 6-man party at start, you'll have to distribute it between all of them from the very start.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
MMXI said:
So just because it's called multiplayer you are forced to LARP multiplayer? Is the urge to LARP so great for you that you have to transfer your save to single player?
ITT mondblut comes out as a closet LARPer :smug:

mondblut

Arcane
So copying a mp save to sp is an exploit (nobody argued otherwise) yet leaving it in mp folder, all other things equal, isn't? I guess picking several sides in a TB strategy and playing them all at once pooling their resources isn't an exploit in your book too?

Hint: a "multiplayer" mode is for all purposes designed for a *group* of players. What Johannes said, one can do whatever the fuck he wants with a game - hell, I do that all the fucking time - but claiming his antics are the way the game is supposed to be played by design is one of the precious few things he can't.

Is the urge to LARP so great for you that you have to transfer your save to single player?

On a 120 mhz pentium, a "true" mp mode is signifantly slower than sp. Even if your friends are imaginary.

edit: also, IIRC in mp the game doesn't autopause when you go into inventory, whereas in sp it does.

MMXI

Arcane
Yes. Moving your save from the mp to sp directory is exploiting the game. Leaving it in the mp folder to carry on playing in multiplayer mode isn't exploiting the game because the multiplayer mode is designed to be played by up to 6 players controlling a minimum of 1 character each. A single person controlling 6 characters is legitimate, and so is six people controlling 1 character each. The game lets you do this without have to modify files or dump saves into different directories. Therefore it's not exploiting. If the game only let each player in the multiplayer mode control a single character, and then you found a way to hack it to allow you to play with 6, then that would be exploiting. However, this isn't the case. The mode lets you play with 6 characters on your own and is therefore completely legitimate.

Radisshu

Prophet
Sceptic said:
MMXI said:
ITT mondblut comes out as a closet LARPer :smug:

Hahahaha, talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

mondblut

Arcane
A TB strategy, let's say Warlords, is designed to be played by up to 8 players controlling a minimum of 1 race each. The game lets you alone control up to all 8 races without having to modify files or dump saves into different directories. It doesn't check for a player's fingerprints whenever the move is passed. Is it therefore not exploiting and completely legitimate?

The very definition of "exploit" is making an unintended abuse of legitimate features rather than hacking the data or what have you. Creating dozens of dummy characters and pooling their starting items and gold to your primary party is an exploit, an unintended abuse of legitimate features. Using quirks in character import-export routine to clone unique artifacts is an exploit, an unintended abuse of legitimate features. Simultaneously controlling several factions in a strategy in order to advance one of them is an exploit, an unintended abuse of legitimate features. And so is taking an advantage of mp party creation while playing single-player.

Radisshu

Prophet
So this is the thread where mondblut realises you can make your own party in BG and goes ballistic?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom