Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Character creation screen starts with race selection or worse

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I want to add that if we claim that books with any kind of FTL are "fantasy" then half of the most famous sf writers, including many that are considered authors of hard sf, wouldn't be ones. Just think about it for a moment, i had a list but i won't help you being lazy, just go trough some of the big names in sf. Basically any sf that wants to explore possibility of life on other planets in other solar systems, or any kind of encounters with extra terrestrial intelligence would be "fantasy". Unless someone wants to play with sub-light interstellar travel but that also is questionable from science pov. That is insane, would make the term "fantasy" completely useless.
A book that contains one or two concepts that are scientifically questionable and then 90% of rest of the book is undoubtedly great sf, even hard sf, is still SF without a doubt in my mind. FTL as in starships simply accelerating beyond speed of light is fantasy because we do know (or at least we think so) that it is impossible. But treating the exact same way every other hypothetical way would make exploring so many other classic SF themes impossible. It is not even funny.

I want to add that if we claim that books with any kind of FTL are "fantasy" then half of the most famous sf writers, including many that are considered authors of hard sf, wouldn't be ones. Just think about it for a moment, i had a list but i won't help you being lazy, just go trough some of the big names in sf. Basically any sf that wants to explore possibility of life on other planets in other solar systems, or any kind of encounters with extra terrestrial intelligence would be "fantasy".
Let me remind you that we have many examples of evolved life on Earth. Suggesting that extraterrestrials exist is one thing, but detailing anal probe visitations lies firmly within the realm of fantasy.

Unless someone wants to play with sub-light interstellar travel but that also is questionable from science pov.
Not really. Today interstellar travel is more of an engineering problem than a science problem.

That is insane, would make the term "fantasy" completely useless.
High fantasy. Low fantasy. Epic fantasy. Dark fantasy. Urban fantasy. Sword and Sorcery. Sword and sandal. Steampunk. Gaslamp. Dieselpunk. Isekai. Wuxia. On and on it goes...

Calling a story "fantasy" today is like using "rock and roll" to describe a new band.

A book that contains one or two concepts that are scientifically questionable and then 90% of rest of the book is undoubtedly great sf, even hard sf, is still SF without a doubt in my mind. FTL as in starships simply accelerating beyond speed of light is fantasy because we do know (or at least we think so) that it is impossible. But treating the exact same way every other hypothetical way would make exploring so many other classic SF themes impossible. It is not even funny.
Certainly, at the time it was written, H.G. Wells' The First Men in the Moon would have been considered science fiction. However, if the same story was written today, it would not be considered science fiction. Remember that science is not a static discipline. As our understanding of the natural world evolves, some themes originally within sci-fi get moved to fantasy and vice versa. That's the nature of a genre that is in part defined by something that stands outside of the whims of authors. I am simply applying this observation impartially.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
you might want to look up the difference between hard sci-fi and soft sci-fi before you go on autistic screeds

we get it, you have a degree in wikipedia, now go get a real one
How about the Proceedings from the National Academy of Sciences then?

Source: https://www.nap.edu/read/11876/chapter/2#11
In everyday usage, "theory" often regers to a hunch or a speculation. When people say, "I have a theory about why that happened," they are often drawing a conclusion based on fragmentary or inconclusive evidence.

The formal scientific definition of theory is quite different from the everyday meaning of the word. It refers to a comprehensive explanation of some aspect of nature that is supported by a vast body of evidence.

Codex Year of the Donut
we get it, you have a degree in wikipedia, now go get a real one
How about the Proceedings from the National Academy of Sciences then?

Source: https://www.nap.edu/read/11876/chapter/2#11
In everyday usage, "theory" often regers to a hunch or a speculation. When people say, "I have a theory about why that happened," they are often drawing a conclusion based on fragmentary or inconclusive evidence.

The formal scientific definition of theory is quite different from the everyday meaning of the word. It refers to a comprehensive explanation of some aspect of nature that is supported by a vast body of evidence.
lmao still beating up a strawman you constructed 5 posts ago

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Tp3yR9K.png

"Fantasy is gay, I only read novels about hard drinking, down on his luck detectives."

6ab.jpg

Don't read anything! Burn all the goddamned books!

cthulhu-696x391.jpg

Self-Ejected

Hafnar the Jester

Self-Ejected
you might want to look up the difference between hard sci-fi and soft sci-fi before you go on autistic screeds

Hard sci-fi is a super autistic idea, in which an author deludes himself he's actually writing non-fiction.

The difference is a myth. The bibliography of Stanislaw Lem is a proof to that. The guy thought that his works are some kind of predictions (there was even a, now long defunct, terminology for that: "futurology"). Now, 60 years later his works are aesop fairy tales with spaceships.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom