Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Chess

Lucumo

Educated
Why did Magnus retire anyway? I don't really follow chess but watch a chess streamer (ChessNetwork) on Twitch from time to time.
After more than 10 years of first trying to gain the title and then maintain it after he won it, he just lost motivation. Plus, it's a lot of physical and mental strain to prepare for and then play a WC match, and he did it 5 times already. Does he really need to prove himself anymore against the players of his generation? But yeah, I guess the main reason is, it stopped being fun for him.
Of course he didn't retire from chess, he just doesn't participate in the WC cycle anymore, but for example he took part in the speed chess world championship last december and won both the rapid and blitz titles.
Thank you. It absolutely makes sense. Personally, my biggest issues would probably be all the media with their interviews after each match and all the photos etc etc. Playing the same opponents over and over again in formats that take forever certainly seems draining. Considering that chess skill seems to be longer-lasting, wouldn't it make sense to have a WC match every four years, or so?

Syl

Cipher
And the new world chess champion is:
Ding Liren
Congratulations to him.

and 8 others

Savant
And the new world chess champion is:
Ding Liren
Congratulations to him.
Indeed, congrats to Ding.

I can't help but feel bad for Nepo though. He's won the candidates tournament twice, gone through the brutal prep for the world championship twice, only to lose in the tiebreak on his 2nd attempt, after a very close match.

When he lost I suddenly realised I was hoping for him to win it, as a redemption after the match against Magnus.

Syl

Cipher
Yeah, I was rooting for Nepo too.
And I would have loved to see Naka get the second place in candidates, but that's another story.

The match was more entertaining that the last, with many victories and less blunders.

Not a redemption but it's some kind of revenge for Ding after he couldn't participate in the previous candidates because of the insane covid rules in China.
I guess that's why he was so emotional after winning. At some point, he probably thought he missed his chance as he was favorite to challenge Magnus.

Speaking of Magnus Carlsen, I wish he finds the motivation to win the next candidates and challenge Ding (and win his title back of course).

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I usually dismiss the Mandela Effect as people just being retards with faulty memory, but I could've sworn Nakamura had placed second in the Candidates and was supposed to be in this match. Still, I recall thinking a few years ago that Ding looked like WC material, and it was just a shame that he had to be contemporary with Carlsen (in the same way Korchnoi had the misfortune to be contemporary with Karpov). I think Magnus would've wiped the floor with him if he'd cared to participate, so he got lucky with the timing I suppose.

Man, Nepo's reaction during the final game was really some heart wrenching shit, like him or not. The knocking off the pieces with a shaky hand, the blank stare of dismay and disbelief, the struggle to get up from the chair..
:negative:

I wish as many people played Stratego as chess since the former is practically an upgraded version of the latter.

Then again it's easy to see why as chess is ancient and in public domain whereas Stratego is copyrighted.

Chess is the soccer of board games.

Soccer is the best team sport tho?
I meant it was like soccer in that just about everyone knows the rules and you can find a game just about anywhere.

(Although now that I think about it maybe checkers is more the soccer of board games so my analogy was dumb from the get go IGNORE ME.)

odrzut

Arcane
Nah I think you're onto something. Chess and soccer are very swingy. One bad or brilliant move turns the game on its head. Which makes watching and playing it interesting.

Games where you mostly win if you have early advantage are boring.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom