Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Choose your path to greatness, obscurity or death. A multiple choice LP

newcomer

Learned
3C 5B

6. Show slight disappointment / anger on the porter for not being able to keep the food hygiene. Give them an A-OK food & use our skills & charisma to convince them that you will shut your mouth for their own good, AND THEY BETTER DO SO IF THEY DON'T WANT TO LOSE THEIR JOB. TAKE AWAY THE PROBABLY-CONTAMINATED MEAT FOR HEALTH & HYGIENE REASONS

Either B or C will do in this case, since for C you can reason that you want to know whether there's bug nests nearby... B for now

But make sure you give them the food we have checked. For the food in the area nearby, tell them that you are checking whether the foods has been contaminated by bugs, and thus might not be healthy for them

Btw, have anyone eaten the preserved meat or anyhting else from that cask? Have them quarantinated for medical reasons, and if they turned out to be infected don't give them any water, just try to heal them / inspect them

And if possible, later on propose a system where all drinking water is placed in one big room & anyone who wants to drink has to put some sort of signature on their name... Of course not anyone can write, so instead put a trustworthy literate person on the door who will mark the people who drinks the water and how much. Will help identify infections at early stage
(On the other hands makes centralized water poisoning much easier... anyone can help suggest something for this?)

Oh btw, any large animals nearby (cattle / chichken)? Experiment by force-feeding them with one of the centipedes.This is what they did in the medical world right... Or maybe, a better "experimental rat" would be the enemy spy

GameOver

Educated
What will you do about these men Kyoss?
3) Use your natural charisma and your skills to persuade them that nothing really happened because bugs naturally live in the forest, and that the rest of the food is fine

We might as well go with a somewhat logical argument to keep this all hush hush. The bugs are about as long as a finger so this option actually could make sense. The issue with this is that you have no idea if the rest of the food is fine and something like this might be the cause of those centipedes exploding inside of people. I think it is important that we bring as many individuals from our centipede hunting team to check the rest of the food as an extra measure to ensure the supplies are not contaminated. Could you imagine soldiers exploding all over the place? All we need to do is place one of our civilians in charge of distributing all of the supplies. This way we can distribute only supplies we have checked to ensure no dead centipedes were with them for preventative measures.

We need to thoroughly examine the meat within the cask as well. We should also ask them if this has been the first instance or whether this has been a recurring theme with dead burnt centipedes in the food. If they ask why we are so curious, we always have the excuse of claiming protocol with our orders regarding reports and inventory.

Should you investigate the dead centipedes and the area nearby? (With the help of others from your small group of course!)

C) Yes, do it openly using your authority to keep other people out so nobody knows exactly what is going on here.

This is really easy to accomplish while keeping soldiers out of the know or wondering what is happening. Our public task is to do reports on inventory. We can assign our centipede task team to "counting" inventory. In addition, we can create a policy that while we are counting inventory nobody but those in association with this task can be near the inventory. This not only makes sense but also makes for good auditing practices. We might as well assign more troops to this particular task as well in case we need to squash some bugs.

Kashmir Slippers

Magister
5) Try to make a joke out of it. Try to get some of our helpers to join in on it (if any are around). None of the options sound particularly convincing, and i think that trying to force them to forget about it would raise more questions that it would stop.
B) For similar reasons.

Curufinwe

Learned
Maybe the kingdom of Avarlos once faced against these centipede tamers and developed anti-bug magic wards?
That could explain the crispy centipedes.

2C

This is a good theory, most definitely. And it also implies that the centipedes are at least somewhat magical in nature. Yay. Sucks to be us.

Regarding the options, 3 (as someone mentioned, they're small enough to make it plausible) B (it's either A or B. C makes no sense. If we barge in showing around our badges there will be no way in hell to make those porters shut up 'Hey, you know that young guy that came in with a few soldiers after we found those bugs in the food? Who is it? Why did he do that? Let's ask our quartermaster buddy.' etc etc).

Regarding the control on drinking water, not really feasible unless you want to start a rampart paranoia spree in the army.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
Dumbfuck
5) feign ignorance and chide them for letting bugs into their food
B)

Most interesting thing here is why they are burned I think, anyone got any ideas on that?

we should get our magic stone out as well and use it as a pendant, will be easier to detect hidden magic users/centipede controllers

Curufinwe

Learned
Whoever voted 3C, I strongly urge you guys to reconsider. Hell, whoever voted C should reconsider, but especially 3C.
First negative: we have been obviously sent here as a wildcard. Nobody knows who we are, we should use our authority only in extreme cases, this is not it.
Second, if we put an 'official seal' on this event we're just asking for rumors to start. Thus 3C is plain silly (why keep it hush hush by convincing the porters nothing happened then put a big 'bio-hazard' label on it?)

GreyViper

Prophet
C

Because 3rd choice can make us look as liars, when the other bugs turn out and when the real enemy is revealed. It will be interesting to explain the chestbursters, that nothing really happened because bugs naturally live in the bodies, and that the rest of the men are fine.:P

Baltika9

Arcane
3- they're not really interested in morale.
B- when you say "Move along, everything's fine", be ready to keep in line with your statement.

Baltika9

Arcane

Most likely magic, or a self destruct mechanism. It's pretty obvious they were immolated when they were discovered, not before or after.
Maybe the centipede overlords can possess them, or see through their eyes.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Yeah 3C doesn't really make sense to me. You try to keep it a secret with option 3, but then you make it a show with C so rumors will start to fly. And sooner or later someone is going to talk and tell them about centipedes.

Kyoss is pretty convincing with the natural charisma so 2 or 5 might go through to these people.

Monty

Arcane
Whoever voted 3C, I strongly urge you guys to reconsider. Hell, whoever voted C should reconsider, but especially 3C.
First negative: we have been obviously sent here as a wildcard. Nobody knows who we are, we should use our authority only in extreme cases, this is not it.
Second, if we put an 'official seal' on this event we're just asking for rumors to start. Thus 3C is plain silly (why keep it hush hush by convincing the porters nothing happened then put a big 'bio-hazard' label on it?)
I agree with this, hope a few voters reconsider. We're on a covert mission and attempting to throw our weight around in this way hardly seems like the best option.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
5B or 3B, whatever's closest to winning.

My concern with both of the options I'm condoning is they might think the rest of the food is safe and ingest it, paving the way for more chestburster activity.

I also support the idea of testing the food on some-sort of livestock and observing it in quarantine.

newcomer

Learned
There goes my magic wards theory. Maybe we should interrogate the porters, one of them could be the spy that set off the self-destruct mechanism when they discovered the bugs.

Hm? As far as I'm concerned wouldn't the spies be happy if the bugs actually spread through the whole castle? If I'm the one who actually sent them I would've taught them how to make sure they won't die from it in the first place.. It is possible though that the spy accidentally trigger the magic ward when he tried to confirm that the bugs are in the cask

newcomer

Learned
I just found a good alternative...

6. Show slight disappointment / anger on the porter for not being able to keep the food hygiene. Give them an A-OK food & use our skills & charisma to convince them that you will shut your mouth for their own good, AND THEY BETTER DO SO IF THEY DON'T WANT TO LOSE THEIR JOB. TAKE AWAY THE PROBABLY-CONTAMINATED MEAT FOR HEALTH & HYGIENE REASONS, AND ALSO FOR "THEIR OWN GOOD"

Either B or C will do in this case, since for C you can reason that you want to know whether there's bug nests nearby... Nah, the second option will become redundant since we have the entire contaminated supplies anyway... Combines secrecy of 3 and safety of C, effectively preventing these porters from serving chestbursters meal IMO

What do you guys think?

Baltika9

Arcane
Giving it more thought, the COs are the people directing and controlling the centipedes, as suggested by when we killed one. It wouldn't be much of a stretch to assume that they can kill them from a distance and see through their eyes, which would mean that the enemy is either digging through the underground, or coming through the forest as we speak.

We have to alert the General immediately. Tell him to double the night watches, and have the camp on high alert, or some such. Also, cordon off the whole central square, and set up a defensive perimeter facing inside. Shit's about to hit the fan here.

Edit: Newcomer has a point. That meat may be filled with centipede eggs.

Vernydar

Learned
Really nice discussion here, was rather entertaining to read.

What can I say, the GM derives his fun from seeing what the players think and do :lol:

Just a note, in case it was not clear for some. C means exactly what I wrote down.
"do it openly using your authority to keep other people out"

It says do it openly using your authority. You are not asking Irene to ask the general to order some soldiers to keep everyone out. It means you will use YOUR authority and you will keep other people out. As in: "I order you guys to leave, the people from our group will come and take over. No you soldiers can't come here either, leave."

You are giving an order openly. Not a bad choice per se, but forget staying anonymous, just saying.

Update in a few hours

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom