Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum Chris Avellone Arcanum LP

Endemic

Arcane
I don't have any kotor2 examples off-hand but here's Torment

Your options are an overwrought compliment, the same overwrought compliment but it's a lie, and an insult.

I see. On the other hand, it does seem to be in-character for TNO. :P

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yay Arcanum 'date.

Haha he accidentally bought a schematic.

Ignores all those points he put into persuasion so he can attack and die to the bridge bandits again and again and again

Can't figure out waypoints

Finally puts a point into melee. Too bad his background gives him a penalty to combat skills.

Keeps skipping his combat turn in the cave for some reason

"This place is a gold mine... of garbage"

Aw Virgil. Looks like Chris is a reloader when it comes to Pyrrhic victories.

The plan finally came together. He wouldn't have ever been able to beat them without those items though. :M

Chris doesn't know he can bash locked containers. It's probably better this way.

This was possibly the funnest video; had some schadenfreude, Chris playing badly, dialogue node-criticism, and some actual victories. We're also finally out of Shrouded Hills.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I've stopped watching at this point.
It's too fucking awful.
I wanna smack him in the fucking head and shove him out of his chair and show him how a real fucking gamer takes control.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
He makes a fucking diplomatic character, that sucks in every fight, only to finally reach the bridge bandits, get bored of all the text and just decide to attack them... FFS Chris, you already failed the Trial by Arcanum, stop embarassing yourself even further.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Haha. Yes, but keep embarrassing yourself. It's pretty awesome! Seriously, all this could be solved by reading the manual and exercising a bit more awareness and common sense. At least he likes the music...

None of this embarrassment (well, most of it) would have happened if someone told him to just roll a melee-focused character. But no one did.

The game...was rigged from the start.

lightning___the_game_was_rigged_from_the_start_by_worshipthesatan-d609tmd.jpg

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Seriously, I can't have any hope anymore.... people here were anxious to see him reach Tarant.... for what? He'll probably arrive there and just waste like 1 hour trying to kill everyone in The Boil...

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
no. he'll die in the sewers to rats while trying to retrieve the family heirloom. :smug:

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Nah, he's recruit Magnus just so he can root around in more trash cans and keep every fucking thing he finds, more broken dresses? Yes please, lets throw away this stupid Toone boot to make room for it.

Shadenuat

Arcane
oh god he finally did it, he's out from Shrouded Hills

rage-guy-happy-face-tears-of-joy.jpeg

He has beaten the bandits, MCA you are a hero
Maybe he will even reach Tarant!

Ah who am I kidding. Next update: "Hmm you know I don't want to go to Tarant yet, I JUST WANT TO EXPLORE!" > ten videos of MCA wondering around map killing random enemies, dying to stone rats and barbarians

buzz

Arcane
Its a job. You don't ask strangers to help you fight off bankrobbers and expect them to do it for free. And who the hell would do it for free? Especially when the person is fully capable of paying (you're protecting the bank because he's got so much jewgold in there, remember). You're not even asking for payment. Payment is ASSUMED. You're just asking what it is. And any sane playstyle would. Why should devs cater to your retarded mary sue bullshit playstyle any more than they cater to my pikachu character? Do you expect them to add a "Pikachu" line at every dialogue node? LARP more, Avellone?

I think the problem is more with just placing the useless, meaningless question in the first place.
This is how Arcanum (and other RPGs) does it:
NPC: Hey man, can you help me kill this rats?
PC: What is the pay?
NPC: 20 gold coins.
PC: Ok, let's do it/I'll think about it.

How to do the same thing in a less annoying way:
NPC: Hey man, can you help me kill this rats? I'll give you 20 gold coins for it.
PC: Ok, let's do it/I'll think about it.

A better situation would be with choices. The NPC could reward you with more than monetary/physical goods, like putting a good word for you with the merchants/other quest givers, maybe he can help you with some other baddies and so on.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Will he walk to Tarant?
Reminds me, has anyone actually tried to play the game without using the world map? Does the game really have the entire world generated, but it'll just take you literally weeks to get anywhere?

MCA
Not sure what you mean by the distinction, @sea (whether the entire world is pre-generated or generated procedurally?). What I wonder is if the game-time it takes to travel on world map corresponds to the same time it takes to walk the distance in isometric game view. Anyone up to the task?

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Not sure what you mean by the distinction, @sea (whether the entire world is pre-generated or generated procedurally?). What I wonder is if the game-time it takes to travel on world map corresponds to the same time it takes to walk the distance in isometric game view. Anyone up to the task?
My question was more along the lines of whether the entire world map does indeed "exist" or if it's procedurally generated as you explore. I think this feature is pretty damn impressive, especially for its time, and it's rather funny it has no impact on the actual gameplay since nobody in their right mind would ever travel that way anyway.

Reminds me, has anyone actually tried to play the game without using the world map? Does the game really have the entire world generated, but it'll just take you literally weeks to get anywhere?
With careful world map travel, you can get very close to Gorgoth pass from the east, but not close enough to unlock it on the world map. But it is a very very very long walk to actually find it.
IMO, the world is procedurally generated when not in a point of interest, and the game keeps track of your world map co-ordinates.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
My question was more along the lines of whether the entire world map does indeed "exist" or if it's procedurally generated as you explore. I think this feature is pretty damn impressive, especially for its time, and it's rather funny it has no impact on the actual gameplay since nobody in their right mind would ever travel that way anyway.
That's not quite true, there are several things to find that you can't find if you only use the world map.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
What Chaotic_Heretic said.

I once wanted to travel to Tarant, but for some reason I didn't talk with anyone about it, so it didn't show up in my world map. Instead of going back to ask directions, I went more or less close to where I recall it was and then found it by just walking along the coast. But it took A LOT of time... going all the way to Tarant would take fucking ages...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom