Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cities : Skylines

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I wonder if Paradox is racking their brains over what DLCs to spam for Skylines that hasn't been already covered or are going to be covered by mods. The only thing I can think of is night mode.
There's already a night mode mod for CS. Although it doesn't turn lights on in buildings... yet.

baturinsky

Arcane
I have tried to build city blocks Soviet style - with a mini-park in each:
vVoqLVQ.jpg

Result: people are so happy with having parks that they don't need to buy things anymore. Nothing is built in commercial zones, and soon
JPScQEk.jpg

Half of factories closed because nobody buys their stuff.
Also, residential bildings stopped appearing too (even though I have a lot of free residential zones) and population stabilised at around 44k.

Angthoron

Arcane
baturinsky that's a known bug, I thought it was fixed, but if it's still happening this week, then you might want to look in the mods, there's something that decouples Commercial demand from Parks.

Turjan

Arcane
What the game gets reasonably well done is 70's style apartment clusters.

FFCE6303D8A99D2B5544E7070AF76F3C489581C5

I took a few screenshots from the train:

A29925BFC20E40F9C72571BD16E521DD4EA32FDF

86B69F484DEA3CF13CB6FBB089DE2AB8ADA216A4

2A577D0B8355E44E19A440D97300DD3A42BF336A

0BA7055AA2FDEE7B71FF18672C47ECCA8CF00A32

baturinsky

Arcane
Variant with a small park as the centerpiece. Nearly perfectly fits in 2x2 standart block widths square and Small Park upkeep cost is very low.
Inner road provides bonus space for car parking, though I'm not sure if that has any in-game significiance.
1gokwYO.jpg

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Tell me bros, is this game really that good? Because it is constantly one of the best selling game on Steam. Is this game the best in the series?

Angthoron

Arcane
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=413366627

What is this? A flight simulator inside a city builder? Yes! Follow your dreams!

Usage:
Press CTRL + A to enter flight mode. WASD+mouse controls. If you wish to change the flightmode shortcut, invert the axis or change sensitivity open the config menu with F8.

This is a work in progress.
Todo-list:
- Building collisions
- Engine sounds
- Better simulation

Well.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=412101021

Lane control for Cities: Skylines - Early Beta

Not ready for regular play in all but the simplest of cities, or very gridy layouts. Lots of bugs listed below, feedback is very much appreciated.When you are done experiencing the confusion, disable the mod, and restart your game.Order will be restored... suicidal, traffic-distrupting left-turners not withstanding.

Take control of your intersections:
  • No left turn for 3- and 4-way intersections.
  • No right turn for 4-way intersections.

Last edited:

Turjan

Arcane
Last edited:

Data4

Arcane
Tell me bros, is this game really that good? Because it is constantly one of the best selling game on Steam. Is this game the best in the series?

It's.... ah, well... Hard to explain. I'm probably not doing it right, but once I get a good city going with 40k+ population, I find myself going "Ok, now what?" and move on to another game. What I'd really like to see is a complete open sandbox with all areas available at once, and all items available to build, just to let myself go wild. I'm sure there are mods for it, but I haven't looked yet.

baturinsky

Arcane

It's.... ah, well... Hard to explain. I'm probably not doing it right, but once I get a good city going with 40k+ population, I find myself going "Ok, now what?" and move on to another game. What I'd really like to see is a complete open sandbox with all areas available at once, and all items available to build, just to let myself go wild. I'm sure there are mods for it, but I haven't looked yet.

After 40k traffic management starts to be interesting.

Turjan

Arcane
Yup. My city is at 115k at the moment, and from time to time, there's some traffic problem sprouting up. For instance, I'm starting to doubt that my placement of freight stations in industrial areas is good.

WalkinDude

Augur
Patron
Codex 2014
Is this game the best in the series?

It's not related to the cities: XL series, I feel like anything the name confusion will serve to hurt the game given that one's mediocrity. At least with people who don't look at any VG news stuff and are just on steam and go "the next cities game? Fuck that game sucked NEXT"

oscar

Arcane
Yeah why'd they pick this name considering how much of a public flop XL was?

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
It's.... ah, well... Hard to explain. I'm probably not doing it right, but once I get a good city going with 40k+ population, I find myself going "Ok, now what?" and move on to another game.
So basically Banished on a larger scale?

Caim

Arcane
I wanna give this a shot but I fear that my lack of imagination will have all of my cities look the same: Square block by square block over and over again.

Plus, it's kinda odd to see such detail to traffic yet there are no parking problems at all.

Data4

Arcane
It's.... ah, well... Hard to explain. I'm probably not doing it right, but once I get a good city going with 40k+ population, I find myself going "Ok, now what?" and move on to another game.
So basically Banished on a larger scale?

Can't say. I never played Banished. I definitely agree with what others have said about it feeling unfinished.

Angthoron

Arcane
I wanna give this a shot but I fear that my lack of imagination will have all of my cities look the same: Square block by square block over and over again.

Plus, it's kinda odd to see such detail to traffic yet there are no parking problems at all.
I used to be unimaginative like you, but then I found out that this game doesn't reward grids. It's unfortunate - my most important part of the city looks like shit with grid structure and the easiest thing to do would be demolish the fuck out of it entirely and remake it with a different layout and more options like rail and pedestrian passes. That's the thing though - I don't think any other city sim so far has actually "punished" you for gridding the fuck out of it. You sort of have to learn to do things differently in terms of transportation.

Turjan

Arcane
I took a few screenshots from the train:

0BA7055AA2FDEE7B71FF18672C47ECCA8CF00A32

This pic looks like Rollercoaster Tycoon to me.
It also feels a bit like it when you are "riding" the train. There is even a third dip after what you see here, down to the harbor station.

I tried several times to find a way to even the descent out in this specific case (it's usually no problem), but the pillar distance forced by the crossed structures needed this to be built in pieces, which then resulted in individual dips. Maybe, I can try my luck once more behind the first dip, but the clearances never worked in my attempts.

Edit: Tried once more, doesn't work. I might be able to redo the whole area as I had deleted an additional train line that ran here, but there isn't too much space here. The best solution would be a tunnel, but that's supposed to come in a free update at some point in the future.

040597F2EBCAB790246F744A3163F5C660E8D4A7

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom