Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Citybound, an indy city-builder, announced

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Tags: Citybound

0037380.jpg

A challenger for SimCity appears. Citybound, an indy city-builder simulation has been announced. The game intends to be the game that the new SimCity was not, being a region-focused city-builder than can be played offline and does not rely on DLC.

The game will also be made with modders in mind.

You can check out the game's blog here. There's demo gifs of the road-builder tool right now.

AzraelDR

Novice
Is starting with the technology aspect really the right way to go? I would think that the gameplay mechanics/design notes would come first before the ability to create organic and realistic traffic flows and building layouts. Hopefully the next update has more to show for the gameplay aspects.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is starting with the technology aspect really the right way to go?
It depends.
If you have a pretty clear vision of the overall goals, without having every detail written down and defined, it makes sense to start creating the technology first.
The best idea is worthless if you cannot make it happen. And no 200-page-design document will change that.

So if you know you're going to create a city builder, it makes sense to build a technology first that can handle many buildings, lots of calculations going on in the background, etc.
During this step, you may notice that you will not be able to deliver everything, so you saved yourself the trouble of writing down all those little details that you couldn't implement anyway.

Once you have your basic technology running, you can start defining all the detailed game mechanics and implement those. That way, you will be much faster implementing, testing, changing, etc. a single feature. NOW is a good time to write your 200-page game design document and create all the tasks to prevent feature creep.

But I'm not a big fan of defining every little detail first and then implementing it, anyway. Game design is a highly iterative and feedback-driven process. You will never know if your idea really works until you see it in action.

About this actual project...
I'm very skeptical about the used technology here.
JavaScript is just slow as hell compared to other languages like C++, C# or even Java (stuff like asm.js and emscripten helps, but let's be honest, it is a looooong way till performance heaven). Though I can very much understand the decision, as that is what the developer is comfortable with.
Also, the game will basically be its own browser, so the problem of normal browser games - you have to share memory and cpu/gpu power with all those other open tabs - is at least reduced.

Still, I'll have to see it in action to really believe that this works. There is a reason we do not yet have highly demanding games running in the browser written in JavaScript. And I'd say a halfway modern city simulation is rather demanding.

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Citybound is written completely in JavaScript, it uses WebGL for 3D graphics

do not want
Huh? What weird place did you get your prejudice from?
It's not like there is any choice if you want to have 3D graphics using JavaScript. And WebGL itself is actually not that bad - it is a slightly slower (and less up-to-date) version of OpenGL. And OpenGL > DirectX for anything except bleeding edge tech.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom