Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Civilization V : THIS! IS!

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
sparta001.jpg

Arise Spartans! Tis' time to reclaim our glory!

A source of marble to fuel our glory. At the moment, we lack the knowledge to process it.

sparta002.jpg

Our warriors are mighty but lack the necessary weapons of war. A fine bronze plumed helmet and spear shall suffice...

sparta003.jpg

An eastern kingdom made contact this year. They call themselves 'Japanese'. Their battle raiment looks impressive. We shall see if they can match our fine spears.
sparta004.jpg

From the west, a kingdom called 'Russia' arise to meet us. Its queen looks...weak.

sparta005.jpg

The Japanese empire signed a pact of Cooperation with us. Buying us a little bit of favor and time before hostility increases.

sparta006.jpg

To the south hails the Germans. Their ability to tame barbarians are exceptional. We must not let them get too strong.

sparta007.jpg

Our scouting warrior found the city state of Copenhagen to the north. They are weak and alone.

sparta008.jpg

Our scribes completed their research on bronze working. Our metalsmiths will now begin forging our weapons and arms. We will need plenty of gold.

sparta009.jpg

Meaningless treaties are signed in exchange for gold.

sparta010.jpg

Forests are cut down to accelerate the production.

sparta011.jpg

War can't come soon enough.

sparta012.jpg

The tiny state of Lhasa neighbours Copenhagen to the north-west. It is weak militarily compared to Copenhagon and presents an easy opportunity.

sparta013.jpg

Finally we can exploit the marble resources, workers were sent immediately to work on a quarry.

sparta014.jpg

Our excited scouts reported the capital of Russia just to the west of us. A chariot stood guard over it.

sparta015.jpg

Nobunaga is a snake. I wonder if he's also plotting behind me? Whatever. That means he will not get angry if I attack Catherine of Russia.

sparta016.jpg

Two divisions of Hoplites marched forth towards Lhasa, intent in capturing it.

sparta017.jpg

Unsuspecting workers. And no warriors to defend their town. It's finished.

sparta018.jpg

RK47

Patron
spartan-workout1.jpg

The First of Many.

sparta019.jpg

Lhasa fell without a hitch. Despite losing one Hoplite.

Two freshly formed divisons, one purchased by gold, the other produced by the city marched towards Moscow.

sparta020.jpg

The bandit kingdom of Songhai hails us. They bring many gold they've plundered for trade...

sparta021.jpg

And we have just the perfect item for trade.

sparta022.jpg

The city of Lhasa was sold for a princely sum. Its gold spent on more Hoplites.

Moscow beckons.

sparta023.jpg

spartans300.jpg

GarfunkeL said:
Whoa whoa whoa. No wonder Skyway hates the game :D

So can you annex these new minors without repercussions?

The other Civs and City-States will eventually start calling you out about being a conquering douche...but by that point you may be strong enough to just bulldoze whoever complains.

Nickless

Educated
Interesting let's play. Are you planning to have a one city empire? I heard solitary cities can perform much better comparative to Civ 4 against large civilisations.

Nickless said:
Interesting let's play. Are you planning to have a one city empire? I heard solitary cities can perform much better comparative to Civ 4 against large civilisations.

It's actually pretty viable, as long as you make sure to have a decent reserve force in case some Civ unexpectedly declares war with you. Even considering buildings and policies that reduce training/build time, you'll get steamrolled by a multi-city Civ without prep work. Purchasing units on the fly can buy you time, but of course that's going to send you to the poor house quick.

But it's fun to play, and definitely a different game style.

RK47

Patron
You can either tribute gold to get a piece of their resources, but since I'm playing Deity, I really need gold to make a strong start. Taking those state cities allied with other civs will piss them off, but this is pretty early, so they're free game.

sparta024.jpg

sparta025.jpg

Speak for yourself, bitch. Also, we sold our 30 year supply of Marble to a Chinese Empress for more gold.

sparta026.jpg

The battle of Moscow is underway. One unit of Russian warrior is garrisoned within the capital, facing four scores of elite Hoplites.

sparta027.jpg

If you look carefully there's an Oracle under construction just outside the city's southeastern border. Now you'll know when your opponent is building a wonder. And that is why Moscow is lightly defended!

During Russia's turn, the city defenses fired at the southern unit and attacked with its warrior. The hoplite survived, but suffered high casualty. We need to pull it back and recover while the other three get into position to the attack the city directly from the north.

sparta028.jpg

Two more divisions of hoplites are marching from Sparta to Moscow to reinforce the three currently in combat. The captured worker is bring marched back to Sparta to be sold as slaves.

sparta029.jpg

Somewhere in the south, Germans are making expansion plans of their own.

sparta030.jpg

Just as Moscow was about to fall, two Russian chariots arrived to complicate matters, thankfully one reinforcement arrived.

sparta031.jpg

The two war chariots were quickly dispatched. The heavily wounded Hoplite pulled out of city defenses range. The fresh one engage the city once more.

And nobody like Catherine.

sparta032.jpg

It's over. Moscow has fallen. Russia has lost its capital.

sparta033.jpg

The two gem mines outside the city was quickly brought into operation and sold to the highest bidder.

sparta034.jpg

Scribes at home has successfully learned how to plant cash crops. As a result, plans were made to exploit the nearby cotton fields.

sparta035.jpg

sparta036.jpg

sparta038.jpg

sparta037.jpg

RK47

Patron
16 Iron - That means they're going to have swordsmen soon. I have to finish Catherine off ASAP.

Cassidy

Arcane
If Paradox also falls into the path of POPAMOLE I'm going to find another hobby.

Sid Meier is officially another Molyfail from now on.

Nickless

Educated
I'm interested in what you think constitutes the popamole aspects of Civ 5. The ability to create puppet states is great, and although I haven't played the game yet, I feel that 1 unit per square was a fine decision. Zones of control are back too, are they not?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Nickless said:
I'm interested in what you think constitutes the popamole aspects of Civ 5.
Everything.
No need to manage economics (leave any city be and watch it grow in any case - it was problematic for me to even cause starvation when I specially tried to)
No civil unhappiness per cities (no uprisings yep) which caused you to keep an eye on each city and sacrifice gold income just to please those pricks - now it's some abstract "empire happiness" which just slows down city growth when it goes below 0.
All policies are nothing but unlockable bonuses (+X to stuff)
All city buildings are nothing but buildable bonuses (+X to stuff)
All combat boils down to bigger strength = win (archers can easily beat melee units in defence if melee units have a lesser strength)
No need to think about unit transportation as they can magically turn into ships later on so water becomes just another ground square.
Tech-tree is now smaller.
You can instabuy units the same turn.
And more dumbing down.

So basically every single Civ5 game goes like this - build more bases, gather more resources, build more units, research some techs to make those units better and kill everything that moves.
It's just a turn-based Warcraft clone where conquest is the only point in playing because everything else is just too primitive.

The ability to create puppet states is great
How exactly? It's basically equal to building a mine in some RTS - you don't even have to manage it and it will just generate you resources without any mess. And you can annex it whenever you wish. Vassals from SMAC f.e. were a much more complex deal.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
I have to agree with Skyway about everything except combat, which I actually like.

You'd think that all those things are somehow nit-picking, but I've noticed ALL of them and they do add up to a very dumbed-down game.

When I got to being able to build the Forge, it hit me: +25% production... what happened to pollution? Then I went back and re-examined everything in this game and there are no penalties for anything, only +, + and +. What happened to unrest, to fierce culture wars, to famine, to religions, to real navies? Ideologies are the most dumbed-down of all. You'd think that it was a no-brainer that every system of government had its own drawbacks, but noooo, now you get civil policies that work like building a character in Diablo II.

I will give credit where credit is due, however: I absolutely love this game's interface (even though the Civilopedia sucks ass and the lack of info means that there's no way of knowing what the fuck a Pact of Secrecy does exactly) and the strategic view is pure bliss to look at.

Nickless

Educated
Again, I haven't played it, but I like the idea that you can conquer enemy territory without having to 1. to destroy their cities, 2. add their cities to your civilisation, at the expense of less yield and control. Annexing a puppet state should have some consequences however, such as a chance of revolt or "empire unhappiness".

Your points are rather concerning and definitely count against Civ 5, although I do like that it's easier to transport units across sea tiles (representing requisitioned, converted merchant ships). In the earlier games it was annoying having to micromanage transport ships so I can transfer a worker unit between one sea tile. I also like that they seem to have made small civilisations viable, although perhaps they should have gone about it another way. I'd rather focus on improving say, five or seven cities than worry about having to spam cities across a quarter of the world, whose management then soon becomes tedious and dull.

MetalCraze

Arcane
but I like the idea that you can conquer enemy territory without having to 1. to destroy their cities, 2. add their cities to your civilisation, at the expense of less yield and control.
The point is that it's the same as in your point 2 except without those penalties. You still add them to your civilization, there are just no drawbacks to it.

representing requisitioned, converted merchant ships
Oh not this shit again
Yeah there are just hundreds of merchant ships waiting at the coast of each river for you to come and convert them into military transports :roll:
Water isn't a natural barrier anymore - it's just another ground tile now. Naval invasions are piss easy now.

Civ3 was the most inclined Civ not counting SMAC of course. It had that charm of naval invasions where you first had to establish the beachhead by sending transports protected by your fleet into the enemy territory and hold it while the rest of units will come. Losing transport with several units was a hit. In Civ5 you just take all your units and swim to the enemy coast (of course enemy won't be able to do anything about such zergrush in the sea due to numbers) - when enemy destroys the boat you just lose a single unit..

Nickless

Educated
It's mostly the micromanagement that comes with moving workers across an archipelago that annoyed me the most about water transportation in previous Civs. Allow workers to move across water tiles (With the limitation that they can't explore water tiles, and cannot disembark on previously unexplored land) and I'd be happy with the previous system.

MetalCraze

Arcane
The problem is that Water Walking is applied to everything. And transporting workers is easy too with it. Just too easy. I mean it's the sea out of all things.

Also if they'd allow that in previous Civs it would've created a big disbalance. You could've had tons of improvements on the overseas land right away. Like you just took a single city and already have lots of workers building forts.

Cassidy

Arcane
skyway, why do you waste time arguing with people who either were eager to play a Civilization game but thought the previous sequels were too complex and inaccessible for their dumbness or who have consented with playing dumber and dumber sequels of their favorite series? Do you think you can change their opinions?

No, you can't.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
why do your waste your time trying to argue with skyway?

Good LP so far, looking forward to moar.

RK47

Patron
Turn 52. 1920 BC

With the fall of Russian capital of Moscow, many predicted huge tributes and mercy of the Spartans.

They were wrong. The tribute of iron ores means Russians are ready to equip themselves with swords, capable of fending off our spears with ease. We must finish them off before they achieve critical mass. In a one to one fight, our hoplites will lose out. Numbers are all we have now. So let's keep it that way. St. Petersburg beckons.

sparta039.jpg

Recap: We conquered the city state of Lhasa to the north and sold them off to Songhai. With the gold, we bought ourselves an invasion force to attack Moscow. We recently took Moscow with minimal losses, but down to south, the city state of Cape Town reported that Germans are attacking them. We need to hurry up before we draw too much attention to ourselves.

Also, our glorious battle has birthed us a Great General. His presence alone will inspire our men to give 25% more in battles. Death enemies of Sparta!

sparta040.jpg

The Russian deployed their first swordsman backed with a lone archer, which is out of position and within striking range. The archer is of no concern, the strength 11 swordsman is our biggest problem.

sparta043.jpg

We used Moscow ranged defenses to weaken is slightly before setting up a flanking maneuver.

sparta041.jpg

Begin streamlined, next-gen, deep, tactical maneuver.

sparta042.jpg

Yep, that'll do the trick.

sparta044.jpg

Fucker did survive the attack, just barely. Killed it next turn though.

sparta045.jpg

Then another one came out with another archer.

sparta046.jpg

But this time, we have a great general. Engage skyway-disapprove-deep-streamlined-tacticular-maneuver.

sparta047.jpg

Surrounded and destroyed!

sparta048.jpg

Looks like that's all they got.

sparta049.jpg

Discovery of the wheel will allows us to connect our cities to the capital, therefore gaining revenue from established trade routes. Seeing as how these conquered cities have built roads for us, we'll take their workers captives and finish the job ourselves to Sparta!

sparta050.jpg

Hmm, so where were we...

sparta051.jpg

Last ditch diplomacy? You still have iron? I don't like that....

sparta052.jpg

St. Petersburg was captured and the extra Marble quarry load was sold to the Germans the very next day.

sparta053.jpg

Genoa is Catherine's final stronghold and it fell without challenge.

sparta054.jpg

We also developed new tactics and discipline as a result of our cultural advancement.

sparta055.jpg

sparta056.jpg

(Insert Catherine's Rape Scene here ala Rance)

sparta057.jpg

Genoa was previously a Maritime city state capable of producing lots of food for our capital and other cities when allied. Liberating them has secured their alliance. In the future, when they have sent a workboat, they will be able to provide us with Pearls.

Meanwhile, Cape Town's burning. We've got a city state to save next time! Vs the Germans!

sparta058.jpg

Nickless

Educated
Cassidy said:
skyway, why do you waste time arguing with people who either were eager to play a Civilization game but thought the previous sequels were too complex and inaccessible for their dumbness or who have consented with playing dumber and dumber sequels of their favorite series? Do you think you can change their opinions?

No, you can't.

Who's he arguing with?

Silellak

Cipher
sparta037.jpg

I laughed at this way longer than I should have.

All combat boils down to bigger strength = win (archers can easily beat melee units in defence if melee units have a lesser strength)
I have never seen this happen.

No need to think about unit transportation as they can magically turn into ships later on so water becomes just another ground square.
There is a huge combat penalty for attacking from water. Land units are for the most part defenseless against attack while at sea, so they'll get wiped out by an attack from a unit that's on land, or an actual naval unit. Not really "just another ground square" at all.

Annexing a puppet state should have some consequences however, such as a chance of revolt or "empire unhappiness".
It does. A puppet city generates far less "empire unhappiness" than an annexed city. No chance for revolt though, sadly.

The point is that it's the same as in your point 2 except without those penalties. You still add them to your civilization, there are just no drawbacks to it.
I'd consider not being able to choose what is built (the AI is pretty stupid in that regard) and the inability to buy units or builds in a puppet state as a fairly seriously drawback.

Water isn't a natural barrier anymore - it's just another ground tile now. Naval invasions are piss easy now.
The combat penalty for attacking from water is pretty severe, actually. It's much harder to conquer a city with only 1 or 2 sides bordering land than it is a purely land-locked city.

Who's he arguing with?
WhatTheHellYouTalkingAbout.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom