Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Clive Barker's Undying

Neerasrc

Learned
I recently played the game again. The music and atmosphere is still incredible. It's still the best example of what a thriller / horror game should be. Wouldn't it be great if the EA would let DICE do the new one? (It's a harder dream than HL3.) :)
Re, sh, amnesia, outlast ... etc. does not contain enough tension / horror story I think. Maybe "stephen king" games need to be done. A true thriller story, is the only thing I think is missing. (In today's horror games)

Bonus:

PrettyDeadman

A Masterpiece.
Really powerful EDGE in a good way.
I love Ambrose voice acting by Cleve Barker:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
ouldn't it be great if the EA would let DICE do the new one? (It's a harder dream than HL3.)
?!

If you like the game, why would you want anyone to violate it like this?

Clive barker's undying developer: EA Los Angeles and dreamworks (DICE). I think that DICE should do more. Who do you think should improve the game?
What's the name of the company has to do with the people who made the game?

What does the EA Los Angeles from 20 years ago has to do with anything EA-related today?

You seem very confused about the whole business.

Neerasrc

Learned
ouldn't it be great if the EA would let DICE do the new one? (It's a harder dream than HL3.)
?!

Clive barker's undying developer: EA Los Angeles and dreamworks (DICE). I think that DICE should do more. Who do you think should improve the game?

What does the EA Los Angeles from 20 years ago has to do with anything EA-related today?

The undying was visually great when it first came out. Frostbite game engine is visually great. I'm not talking about an online game. Single player games supported by EA. Maybe half the staff doesn't exist or we don't know. maybe have? Think of Clive barker + DICE and a single player game. (AAA-fear) Why not?

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
?!

The undying was visually great when it first came out. Frostbite game engine is visually great. I'm not talking about an online game. Single player games supported by EA. Maybe half the staff doesn't exist or we don't know. maybe have? Think of Clive barker + DICE and a single player game. (AAA-fear) Why not?
Nobody makes carbon copies of older games on newer engines. When they make modern remakes, they change everything, make every normal charater into a nigger trans butch dyke, so that's exactly what you'd get.

Neerasrc

Learned
?!

Nobody makes carbon copies of older games on newer engines. When they make modern remakes, they change everything, make every normal charater into a nigger trans butch dyke, so that's exactly what you'd get.

remaster / remastered maybe be done. But I wouldn't say no to a new horror game with a good story. (Clive barker signed)

Neerasrc

Learned
sh ... does not contain enough tension

hwat?

a small sample: Nemesis(re) or an unknown monster (amnesia) does not provide enough tension. Because the game continues through the same object. Thriller must be told with a story. Many years ago undying has already created a character that you can not attack. (He did this for just one episode. -aaron Of course, there was a way to escape, but the tension continued.)

What a great game. I love how it did Bioshock way better, and years before its release at that. (Weapon and Magic usage at the same time as opposed to swapping between the two. No obnoxious currency to purchase upgrades, just amplifier stones that required exploring each level.) Most of the weapons were great, all were creative. Good length and variety in environment. Irish Highlands were a fantastic setting, and the skyboxes were particularly beautiful. Sent my young mind traveling to fantastical places, especially Eternal Autumn. (Even though the gameplay there was kinda shitty in my opinion, unfortunately.) The spells weren't arbitrarily balanced, a fully upgraded haste spell had you flying through the levels and cleaving heads each second with the Scythe of The Celts. Make sure you have 4 amplifier stones stashed for when you beat the first boss Lizbeth (who is hot if you can deal with undead chicks), that's when the game is opened up, I'd say it's about 1/3rd of the way through. The subsequent sibling bosses also come much faster since you have the tools needed to kill them, story-wise. The Aaron vs Bethany feud was great and I love the boss arena for Aaron looking back on it, as he was the scariest and his arena definitely helped augment that. He's probably my favorite of the siblings, anyway, with Bethany and her occult interests being a second, even though her part of the story feels rushed and is kinda shitty. Isn't she nearly equally responsible to Jeremiah for what happened to the Covenants or am I misremembering?

Neerasrc

Learned
It was lizbeth that impressed me the most. I fell in love with him because I was so young, :) (Like everyone) Reflection of the monastery in the lake and journey towards the past. It's a great story and we saw it at the AAA level. I think we're the lucky ones. Of course, a comparison should be made for that period. Not for today. Despite all this, it is still impressive. Seeing invisible events is one of them. "god, I'm coming to you." priest commits suicide. There were many interesting details.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Only the first two chapters had a horror atmosphere; they lost it completely with the Quake crap in the third, tried to feebly get it back in chapter 4, then turned into caveman-killing grinder for the final part.

PrettyDeadman

Only the first two chapters had a horror atmosphere; they lost it completely with the Quake crap in the third, tried to feebly get it back in chapter 4, then turned into caveman-killing grinder for the final part.
delet this.

Neerasrc

Learned

I agree with the last part. I don't agree with the other chapters.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
delet this.
The Quake Dimension wasn't scary, it felt like playing a regular fps.
10_1.jpg

When they tried to go back to a horror atmosphere with the next guy, it was too late, I already felt like a badass fps protagonist with my collection of powers and guns. Then Eternal Autumn is non-stop
8658_full.jpg

I once read a dev posting about the experience, the original scope was absurdly overambitious and massive cuts came in the middle of chapter 2. Originally that involved you going into a full-fledged town taken over by the pirate guys. This is why the later chapters are the way they are, they're truncated versions of sections they wanted to be as long and script-heavy as the already-really-long-and-script-heavy Lizbeth section.

PrettyDeadman

It's pretty obvious that the game got rushed.
I didn't care much about any of the non-estate locations (including time travel parts and astral planes).
What the game did best was it's gothic story of a family ruined by some curse or smh, like ruin of the house of ushers or how it was called but more edgy in a good way.

JDR13

Arcane
Undying was good for its time, but it's far from being the best example of a thriller/horror game. Games developed with the original Unreal Engine haven't aged well.

Neerasrc

Learned
Undying was good for its time, but it's far from being the best example of a thriller/horror game. Games developed with the original Unreal Engine haven't aged well.

Or was it the best RE or SH? funny.

Every game has its flaws. The important thing is that they did it 20 years ago. I think they performed close to the best level for that period. Think of today's horror games. We still have not encountered a horror game at the level of the "undying" horror game. Today's horror games are still at the "cam scare" level. So it is extremely unfair to discuss the flaws of the game. Especially in today's conditions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom