Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[closed] Codex Best jRPGs Ever Poll

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne - 5
Chrono Trigger - 2
Dragon Quest V - 1
Earthbound - 1
Lufia II - 1

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
Ys Origin - 3pts
Ys Oath in Felghana - 2pts

Fantastic ARPGs with heavy emphasis on the A. ¾ from above fixed camera 3D action at it's finest, superbly designed bosses being the highlight. There's something magic about 80s Japanese PC gaming culture, and both these games capture a bit of that, but add far more solid play than their originals and inspirations. They're both just as good as eachother, but I wanted to save a point for a 5th entry in this list, so I took it from Oath in Felghana, which has one very annoying boss that almost ruins the boss rush mode at higher difficulties.

Fire Emblem 7 - 2pts

Whole campaign XP as a resource strategy paired with on field positional tactics are the hallmarks of all the better Fire Emblems. I chose 7 to represent these over the others as it's very challenge rich both in its ranking system and difficulty modes.

Labyrinth of Touhou 2 (hard mode) - 2pts

Excellent blobber combat and party building. Some say the best. Hard mode almost plugs the leak most straight RPGs have that prevent them from being sound games of cerebral skill. It does so by adding level caps for bosses (you can level down and back up to whatever your max XP allows). The problem is bought stat increases are preserved, so alas, no strict skill check is present. In practice though, you're always strapped for cash, so it's a very small leak.

Mercs ("original" mode, SMD) - 1pt

Based on a played straight arcade action game from Capcom, Sega's port for the Megadrive adds an "original" mode where you recruit party members, raise their stats, find cash, consumables and equipment as you advance forward guns blazing against constant back pressure (enemies spawning near your ass) and no way back (literally the screen won't scroll backwards). I wish there were more ARPGs in the arcade format, as this game proves it can be done well.

Last edited:

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Black Souls 2 - 1pt (note that this is not a FromSoft game)
Shin Megami Tensei IV - 2pt
Sengoku Rance - 3pt
Rance X - 4pt

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Just came a bit late to vote.

My votes would have been:

SMT3 - 2
FFXII - 1
Vagrant Story - 1
Dark Souls - 3
Dragon's Dogma - 3

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom