Official Codex Discord Server

  1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

    "This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Cloud is Dead (Final Fantasy VII CYOA)

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by Random, Dec 12, 2013.

  1. Elfberserker Liturgist

    Elfberserker
    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2013
    Messages:
    1,540
    A.Tifa is currently the powerhouse in our current party, we should try to create openings for her.

    Just out of curiosity. Nice to see that Rufus doesn't have any strange moral reasons to not to create such methods or
    equivalent evil machines.

     
    ^ Top  
  2. Baltika9 Arcane

    Baltika9
    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2012
    Messages:
    9,510
    Finally, a long update. Going with A, trying to bluff these things is probably not going to work, considering that we don't have a single point in Bluff.
     
    ^ Top  
  3. Elfberserker Liturgist

    Elfberserker
    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2013
    Messages:
    1,540
    We actually do 1 rank in bluff, but I we still don't know how effective pistols are against these things.
     
    ^ Top  
  4. GreyViper Erudite

    GreyViper
    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2011
    Messages:
    1,297
    Location:
    Estonia
    A but i suspect he will miss, in his current condition. I do have to say things are getting interesting, what with Seph on rampage and all.
     
    ^ Top  
  5. Azira Arcane Patron

    Azira
    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2004
    Messages:
    8,193
    Location:
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Codex 2012
    Shoot the mutie pooch. A
     
    ^ Top  
  6. Jester Arbiter

    Jester
    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2013
    Messages:
    1,493
    E)
    Tell Tifa to get second dog while you keep first one suppressed. (actually she could use nightstick if she wish to)


    Rush the dog with nightstick shouting "For Engenieringggggg Corpsssssssss". Could be fun death to.
     
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
    ^ Top  
  7. a bear named spigot Arcane

    a bear named spigot
    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2012
    Messages:
    777
    Drop our guard and strike with what, the butt of our pistol? Really doubt that'll do any significant damage. I'm all for sticking with what we do best and right now that is shooting things.

    A) Fill it's head with lead.
     
    ^ Top  
  8. Imperator Scholar

    Imperator
    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2012
    Messages:
    190
    A
     
    ^ Top  
  9. oscar Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

    oscar
    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2008
    Messages:
    7,646
    Location:
    NZ
    A
     
    ^ Top  
  10. Stygian Lurker Scholar

    Stygian Lurker
    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2011
    Messages:
    577
  11. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

    The Brazilian Slaughter
    Joined:
    May 11, 2007
    Messages:
    1,872,530
    Location:
    Belém do Pará
    A

    Shoot them
     
    ^ Top  
  12. Zero Credibility Arcane

    Zero Credibility
    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2007
    Messages:
    2,881
    A.

    What else is there to do? Wait for what, they are waiting for our mistake and I somehow doubt they will be the first to blink. As for lowering our guard, a few seconds ago we almost got our face chewed off because they were too fast. Let's shoot them while they are as far away from us as possible, not while they are jumping at our throat.
     
    ^ Top  
  13. Grimgravy Augur Patron

    Grimgravy
    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2013
    Messages:
    3,290
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
  14. Gondolin Arcane

    Gondolin
    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2007
    Messages:
    4,373
    Location:
    In the Playground, reading LPs
    A
     
    ^ Top  
  15. Jick Magger Arcane Patron

    Jick Magger
    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2010
    Messages:
    5,655
    Location:
    New Zealand
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
    A
     
    ^ Top  
  16. Random Arcane Patron

    Random
    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    Messages:
    2,679
    Chapter 1: The Hero Returns, Part II

    You waste no time. You carefully aim down the sights of your pistol, swinging it around as the mutant hound leaps from place to place in an attempt to confuse and intimidate you into slipping up. You have no intentions of making such a mistake, however, and pull the trigger. The bullet ricochets off of the floor where the monster had been only a split second before. You fire again, and it is once again one step ahead of you. You are accurate as always, but the monster is too fast for you to adjust your aim without errors. By the time you've zeroed in on it again, it has already jumped to a new location. You feel like you're playing an old arcade shooter against a boss. Only problem is, this is for real. You send bullet after bullet after the monster, and none reach their mark. On the fourteenth bullet, you manage to graze it in one of its hind legs, but it is only slightly slowed down by the pain. You have one bullet left in your magazine, and you know that you probably can't reload it faster than the monster can reach you. You hesitate, unsure of what to do. You want to save the bullet for when an optimal shot presents itself, but if you wait for too long, it will realize you are struggling, and come for you.

    In that moment of hesitation, the creature seems to recognize your indecision as a sign of weakness, and leaps for you. You yelp and draw your nightstick, holding it out defensively as it nears - the next thing you know, you've been knocked onto the ground, and the monster is trying to bite through the metal nightstick to get to your throat. You are barely strong enough to hold it back using both of your hands on each end of the nightstick. Thanks to the acidic poison leaking from its jaw, it is slowly dissolving your only defense. You curse under your labored breath, then realize that the monster is stationary for the moment. You could pick up your pistol and shoot it right in the head, but that would mean letting one hand go of the nightstick, and you're certain that you lack the strength in one arm to hold it back. But the metal is being torn through even as you think this. Throwing caution to the wind, you do the only thing you can do - reach for the pistol. Thanks to your agility and reflexes, you manage to seize the pistol and press it against the monster's head before it can overpower your one arm. You pull the trigger and blow its green brain matter out, all over the floor. Then you kick the damn thing off of you before any of its poison drips onto you.

    Whirling to see how your temporary ally is doing, you find that she has jammed the other monster's head into an industrial wood chipper and is slowly feeding the thing into it. Nothing but gory chunks fly out of the other end. You almost gag. Once the monster is halfway gone, and most definitely dead, she turns it off and walks up to you, pulling her leather gloves off. She doesn't seem to have anything to say. An awkward silence sets in when you realize that she probably still hates your guts for killing someone important to her. She probably spent most of the time between her capture, and now, grieving. Your eyes almost start to trail over her body, but you avert your gaze before you give into your urge to check her out again. You aren't that pathetic. You climb to your feet and reload your pistol, placing it back into the holster where it belongs. "Let's get going," you tell her. She nods slowly, and after giving the area a once-over to determine that there's nothing useful around, you start heading further into the science labs, following the blood trail.

    Everything is eerily quiet, as you expected. When you spot some movement coming around a corner, you quickly push the woman into a small crevice between some crates and follow her in, hiding. You wish you had a mirror to peer around the crates and see what is coming, but that would be too convenient. Instead, you keep your ears open. You can hear something slithering around, slowly. Then it passes by the crevice, followed by one or two more of what appears to be the same creature. They are some kind of bizarre slug-like monsters with multiple tendrils flicking through the air. They leave disgusting slime trails as they go, and after a little while, you no longer hear them. You are not sure what they were, but you can assume that they, just like the mutant hounds, came from somewhere within the science labs. Were all of these things experiments gone horribly wrong? What exactly was Shinra researching? You find yourself more and more suspicious of the corporation you work for.

    "Are they gone?" the woman whispers. You just shrug your shoulders, still peering out the crack between the crates warily. After a few minutes pass and you don't hear anything, you decide to peek out. You stick your head out and quickly glance both directions, and find nothing. You carefully turn to the woman, giving her a nod, and scooch out of the crevice and draw your pistol, double-checking both directions. There was nothing. The woman climbs out as well. You might have secretly peeked at the way her jubblies drag along the crates due to their size and softness, but your nerves are far too wired to indulge in your animal urges for the moment. You continue onwards.

    You pass by some offices, including Professor Hojo's office. Out of curiosity, you open the door and peer inside. It's pitch black in there, and the lights aren't working. You judiciously close the door, having no intention of exploring the place when you can't even see anything in it. You glance around. You know that the main warehouse is nearby. That's where the staff puts all of their experiments when they aren't working on them. And if your guess is right, that's where a horde of monsters is going to be waiting. Unfortunately, going through the main warehouse is the only way to get to the main laboratory, and then to the stairs that lead to floor 68. You silently creep up to the swinging double doors that lead into the warehouse and peer through the blood-stained glass windows. You very clearly see a lot of movement and activity in there, confirming your fears. You voice your concerns to your ally.

    "We should sneak through," she suggests. "We're no match for that many monsters at once."

    "I don't think that is a very good idea. What if we get caught?" you ask.

    "Then we run, obviously," she says, folding her arms under her bosom, holding it up slightly.

    "That isn't a great plan..."

    "Do you have a better one?"

    "How about we create a diversion?"

    "I'm listening. How do you intend to do that?" she asks, brushing her hair back behind her ear.

    "Err... we could look for a grenade or something else explosive. That would be pretty effective."

    "Where are we going to find something explosive?"

    "I don't know!" you reply hastily.

    "Then your diversion plan isn't a great plan either."

    You fall silent. This is a tough situation. You aren't sure what you should do. And the longer you wait, the more likely some monsters will come prowling out of the warehouse in search of victims. You could go on a search of floor 67 to find something you can use for a diversion tactic, but that will take a lot of time and it greatly increases the odds of you being found. On the other hand, you can try to just sneak through the warehouse. Or, you could hole up in one of the offices and hope for the best, but those monsters can probably smell you and will find you eventually, even if you hide in an office as silently as possible.

    What do you do?

    A) Charge the warehouse and fight your way through it!
    B) Sneak through the warehouse and pray you aren't caught
    C) Search for something you can use for a diversion
    D) Hide in Hojo's office until the situation changes
    E) "By the way, how much did those jugs cost you?"
    F) Other

    Character Sheet

    Show Spoiler
    Name: Marcus "Maverick" Westford
    Class: Ranger
    Profession: First Lieutenant of the Shinra Peacekeeping Corps
    Age: 23
    Inner Nature: X
    Dominant Inner Nature: None
    Status: Flesh Wounds (Scars on hands)

    Characteristics:
    Strength 4 Agility 7
    Tenacity 5 Intelligence 7

    Skills:
    Marksmanship Lvl. 2, Discipline Lvl. 2
    Hand-to-Hand Lvl. 1, Athletics Lvl. 1, Fieldcraft Lvl. 1, Bluff Lvl. 1, Stealth Lvl. 1, Academics Lvl. 1, Observation Lvl. 1, Electronics Lvl. 1, Computer Use Lvl. 1

    Inventory: SM-3 Service Pistol, two clips of 9mm ammunition, ruined civilian casual clothes, Shinra Employee ID Card, Jupiter Energy Bar, Pocket Knife, Spearmint Gum, Portable Handheld System, Wallet w/ 20,000 Gil, keys to the display vehicles
     
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  17. Baltika9 Arcane

    Baltika9
    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2012
    Messages:
    9,510
    As much as I'm tempted to screw around and go E, that's not way to get in her pants. With our Agility, Intelligence and Discipline, we should have a good chance at sneaking through the place and if we get caught, we'll be a good runner.
    By the way, Random, will we still be able to develop an Inner Nature later on, or was that just available for the prologue?
     
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Random Arcane Patron

    Random
    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    Messages:
    2,679
    Your Inner Nature is malleable as always (because Westford is clearly mentally insane). If you behave in a specific way for long enough, you might solidify your inner nature permanently, but that also means you lose the handy utility having all of them at once grants you.
     
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Jester Arbiter

    Jester
    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2013
    Messages:
    1,493
    hmm i dont remember layout still...
    was there executive elevator before this and is it possible to get access to shaft without power?
    You written before that shinra corps guards had to memorize floors layout, so shouldn't Marcus know where or if there is guard room or some kind equipment storage on this floor?
    Sneaking is stealth lv 1 right?
     
    ^ Top  
  20. Baltika9 Arcane

    Baltika9
    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2012
    Messages:
    9,510
    Sanity is for the weak.
     
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Random Arcane Patron

    Random
    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    Messages:
    2,679
    The executive elevators aren't accessible because you don't have a Shinra Executive ID Card.

    Floor 67 has no equipment storage, as it is entirely dedicated to science and research.
     
    ^ Top  
  22. Kipeci Magister

    Kipeci
    Joined:
    May 22, 2012
    Messages:
    2,960
    Location:
    Vicksburg
  23. Random Arcane Patron

    Random
    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    Messages:
    2,679
    Hey Baltika9, you forgot to post what your vote was.
     
    ^ Top  
  24. Zero Credibility Arcane

    Zero Credibility
    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2007
    Messages:
    2,881
    Hmm, a diversion. And only science and research on this floor. Sounds too risky - what if we don't find any explosives?

    Except... did we already pass through or by some labs? And if yes, were there any Bunsen burners in there? Because that would have diversion written all over it.

    It has to be either B or C. We can always fight if we get discovered anyway (but with just two clips of ammo that would be a bad idea).
     
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
    ^ Top  
  25. Stygian Lurker Scholar

    Stygian Lurker
    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2011
    Messages:
    577
    let's try C
     
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.