Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Codex Bloodbowl League

Zanzoken

Arcane
Want to play a game?

Saw-II-Billy-e1566999702813.jpg

Harthwain

Magister
It's too late for me to play today as of right now, but I am up for games during the weekend.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Fuck's sake, I just lost 3-0 to some fag in a Reddit league thanks to rolling 1s and/or snake eyes on pretty much every critical roll of the match.

Opponent chose to kick to start the game.

Turn 1: 2+ pickup, rolled 1
Turn 3: 2+ pass, rolled 1 into 1 (snake eyes)
Turn 4: 2+ pass, rolled 1
Turn 5: 4+ pickup, rolled 1 into 1 (snake eyes) and gave up a TD
Turn 6: critical 2+ GFI, rolled 1, reroll succeeded, needed one more GFI to make a key position, rolled 1
Turn 8: needed a 4+ handoff 2+ dodge to score, rolled a 1 on the dodge

At this point I am down 1-0, which is shitty since I received but not insurmountable.

enemy Turn 11: opponent snake eyes a 2+ dodge... pretty much the only bad thing that happened to him all match

Turn 11: I get 2d on the ball, roll a push, get another 2d on the ball, knock the ball carrier down
succeed a 2+ pickup to recover the ball and move it into range for a score next turn
I need to make a 2+ dodge to prevent his witch from an easy dodge out, roll 1 into 1 (snake eyes)

enemy Turn 12: he makes a 2+ dodge, 2+ GFI to put an assist on the ball
then another 2+ dodge to blitz my blitzer with his witch (i.e. player without Block hitting a player with Block), rolls a push, then a pow
knocks my blitzer down against the sideline and surfs the ball, which flies downfield right to where his guys can easily get it

Turn 12: I manage to get 2d on the ball again, roll a push
I stack a bunch of dudes all around him to prevent him from easily getting, need a critical 2+ dodge to finish trapping him, roll a 1

enemy Turn 13: he makes a 1d blitz with his ball carrier, rolls a push, then makes a 2+ dodge and two 2+ GFIs to score again

Turn 14: The game is now lost but I've managed to get in a great position to at least get one score, faking right but then screening up the left sideline
need to make a 2+ pass into a 2+ catch and we're sitting pretty
first roll is a 1, reroll succeeds, second roll is also a 1, turnover

Turn 15: Need to make two 2+ GFIs to even have a chance at preventing opponent's third score, roll a 1 on the first one
I know I am still not a very good player and I'm sure I made some preventable mistakes that could've made things less bad, but I've had a run of several infuriating games in a row and I'm finding myself asking whether Blood Bowl is worth continuing.

The game is fun and compelling at times, but given the amount of effort it will take the keep improving and the inevitable rage spikes I can't help but wonder if this is really a good use of my time.

Harthwain

Magister
I know I am still not a very good player and I'm sure I made some preventable mistakes that could've made things less bad, but I've had a run of several infuriating games in a row and I'm finding myself asking whether Blood Bowl is worth continuing.

The game is fun and compelling at times, but given the amount of effort it will take the keep improving and the inevitable rage spikes I can't help but wonder if this is really a good use of my time.
Such games are bound to happen from time to time. Even the best coach can do little to nothing when luck is completely against him. The best one can do is acknowledge your bad fortune and hope the next match will be less "spiked". I found that taking a break after a particularly bad match helps, because it's not a good idea to go into the next match while still being upset about the last one, as it can lead to unnecessary mistakes and quickly spiral out of control.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Such games are bound to happen from time to time. Even the best coach can do little to nothing when luck is completely against him. The best one can do is acknowledge your bad fortune and hope the next match will be less "spiked". I found that taking a break after a particularly bad match helps, because it's not a good idea to go into the next match while still being upset about the last one, as it can lead to unnecessary mistakes and quickly spiral out of control.

Good advice, as usual. I think the real cause of my frustration is that I feel like I've stalled in my development as a player. I am not a raw beginner anymore and have worked pretty hard to learn the fundamentals, but the more esoteric aspects of Blood Bowl like positioning and overall strategy are much harder to grasp.

For instance, here are a couple of scenarios from my last game to illustrate.

This is second half. I'm down 1-0 and know I need to force a turnover to have a chance at a win or a tie.

A couple turns in, the opponent has moved several of his guys forward with only a loose screen around the ball. Questionable strategy on his part... if the roles were reversed I'd just be trying to stall and slowly move the ball up for a late score.

i9Bf62R.png

I decide to ignore his players downfield and put pressure on the ball. I blitz the line elf adjacent to the ball carrier and manage to get a removal.

kddAas5.png

Now I take the rest of my guys and base his players around the ball. The goal is to trap the ball carrier, giving him no easy dodge out and no easy way to block the ball carrier free.

qGKThqd.png

Was it a good defense? I really don't know.
Here's another one, this time on offense.

The game is out of reach at this point but I want at least get a score if I can. I push a couple of players forward and manage to draw the opponent completely away from the left sideline.

90kQmjT.png

Seeing the opening, I punch away his line elf on the LoS and swing my free players to set up a screen down the left sideline. Just need to pick the ball up and pass it to the free blitzer for a score in turn 15 or 16.

o2vAz4b.png

Again, good strategy? Maybe, idk.
Maybe it's just something that develops with experience but I wish I had a more systemic way of thinking about the game. I watch AndyDavo a lot and thought about getting some coaching from him but I don't really have room in my budget for it right now.

Anyway, the league I'm signed up for is only 5 games so I guess I'll stick it out and then decide later if I want to keep playing.

Last edited:

bionicman

Liturgist
What you have to learn is to score reliably when on offense, in such a way that you score the touchdown at the last turn (by stalling). So, that (unless your opponent does a one-turn touchdown, which is possible vs. the disgusting rats) when the second half starts and your opponent is on the offense now, you are leading 1:0.
In this position, vs. slower teams, as elves, you can slow them down from scoring altogether, but vs other fast teams like other elves or skaven, you want them to score quickly. So, accept that they will score just make them score quickly so you can have as many turns as possible to score when you get on the offensive again, and then you would win 2:1.

I wish I had a more systemic way of thinking about the game

There was some 'turn order' I remember reading about on bbtactics or some other site, but I can't find it anywhere now...

It was something like:

1. first make sure to do least risky (no dice) plays, e.g. get your guys up etc.
2. then, when you have to do risky plays, do the most important ones first

How do you know which plays are most important ones? If you're on the offense: securing the ball (placing as many players around the ball so it's more difficult for the opponent to pick it up himself), protecting the ball carrier, making sure opponent doesn't get to blitz/block your ball carrier, or scoring.
If you're on the defense: making the opposing ball carrier uncomfortable (like you're doing in that first screenshot), but also afterwards doing the screen properly. Make sure to not base too much (as you're playing elves), although this all depends on the situation.

With blood bowl it's really the more you play, the better you get at it eventually, and the learning curve is steep. I take a break from blood bowl once in a while (like right now), cause it's a frustrating game to play sometimes. IMO it's too random, in a sort of unpleasant way, I wish they designed it differently. RNG in something like Wesnoth is a lot better...

We could do a Codex Wesnoth tournament, that could be fun.

Zanzoken

Arcane
What you have to learn is to score reliably when on offense, in such a way that you score the touchdown at the last turn (by stalling). So, that (unless your opponent does a one-turn touchdown, which is possible vs. the disgusting rats) when the second half starts and your opponent is on the offense now, you are leading 1:0.
In this position, vs. slower teams, as elves, you can slow them down from scoring altogether, but vs other fast teams like other elves or skaven, you want them to score quickly. So, accept that they will score just make them score quickly so you can have as many turns as possible to score when you get on the offensive again, and then you would win 2:1.

Right, what you've described is the approach I take. If I get the ball first, score on turn 8. If they get the ball first, either make them score quick or not at all... bonus points if I can turn them over and score myself.

You're right though, on offense is where I'm weakest because I have a tendency to (a) lose control of the ball or (b) not move the ball efficiently down the field to set up a reliable touchdown. So I often end up failing to score when I really need to.

There was some 'turn order' I remember reading about on bbtactics or some other site, but I can't find it anywhere now...

It was something like:

1. first make sure to do least risky (no dice) plays, e.g. get your guys up etc.
2. then, when you have to do risky plays, do the most important ones first

How do you know which plays are most important ones? If you're on the offense: securing the ball (placing as many players around the ball so it's more difficult for the opponent to pick it up himself), protecting the ball carrier, making sure opponent doesn't get to blitz/block your ball carrier, or scoring.
If you're on the defense: making the opposing ball carrier uncomfortable (like you're doing in that first screenshot), but also afterwards doing the screen properly. Make sure to not base too much (as you're playing elves), although this all depends on the situation.

That's true. Also in one of Davo's teaching videos he says to think about the following...

1) Know what your goal is for the drive / half. Basically what we were just talking about above.
2) Make sure the ball is safe.
3) Figure out where your blitz needs to be.
4) Figure out the area of the pitch you need to control, and for any of your pieces that are based, determine if you can block them free or if they need to try to dodge.

There's other stuff I've picked up from him too. Like he says if you're confused about what to do on your drive, first figure out where you want to be on Turn 8, then work backward from there to figure out Turn 7, Turn 6, etc.

It all makes sense to me in principle but of course in Blood Bowl there are always a dozen variables to think about each turn, and then the RNG to boot.

:rpgcodex:

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
I just got promoted and have less free time.
I'm not sure I want to spend it in Blood Bowl...

On the other hand, it would be fun to have another match with Darth Roxor. Just a good ol' fashioned show of skill, no lucky streaks, like always.

Harthwain

Magister
Greetings men! I guess I don't have enough pain and suffering in my life at the moment, because I am feeling to itch to play some Blood Bowl. Anyone up for a game of BB2 at some point in the not too distant future?
Not this week and the next, I am afraid. I have a bunch of family matters and a few other things I will have to juggle so I am going to have even less time than usual.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
BB is really rage inducing for me, I have no clue why I even own it, I'm interested in watching how a tournament would unfold though.

Zanzoken

Arcane
BB is really rage inducing for me, I have no clue why I even own it, I'm interested in watching how a tournament would unfold though.

I assure you, you are the only person who's ever raged at Blood Bowl. It's such a chill and relaxing game. Perhaps you should seek counseling?

:troll:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm up for another league. Not sure I've got the enthusiasm for random pickup games, sorry. I've lost my taste for non-league BB.

boot

Prophet
I'll play a quick game or two, also up for Valheim

Pick a time bro

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom