Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

ds

Cipher
Patron
Both crisp nu-pixel art and CRT-filtered pixels can be great looking art styles but it takes more than slapping on a shader to go from one to the other. Art that is intended to be displayed on a CRT-like display (real or simulated) needs to take into account of the resulting blending between pixels and take advantage of it where possible while counteracting it where it isn't desired (e.g. for small fonts). Even if there is an option (I'm all for options) the game will be designed primarily for one and not both.

baboogy

Literate
Honestly, I don't like CRT shaders in games and keep them off if they're an option, I feel like it's very rare that it's pulled off in a satisfactory way. And (for me) it will never really capture the best qualities (better colors / darker blacks) that a CRT has anyways, so usually I feel like I am just making the image quality of the game harder (more eye strain) to look at without getting any of the actual upsides. For emulation and when I play old games I prefer to hook up my PC to a CRT and play it that way.

But I can respect that they usually add an interesting aesthetic that is more eyegrabbing at a glance than sharp pixels.

Zeusington

Literate
Hmmm, alright. The general consensus amongst people who've played the demo and you guys seems to vary between "This ain't a CRT shader but I like it" to "Please let me turn that shit off." I'll throw in some sliders to tweak it, but I think I'll leave it off by default. I don't want to commit to it as my primary aesthetic.

Yuber

Educated
I made a few RPG Maker games but they are lost by now lol
I also released a Monster Catching Dungeon Crawler RPG on Steam and a short 2D Survival Horror.

Very soon I am done with my next game a 4X Strategy game. After that I probably want to try a JRPG again or maybe a farming game.
I must say making games is my second favorite hobby right after gaming it's so addicting.

GoblinGrotto

Novice
Got some basic movements in, tweaked the in game camera so it feels better to move around and you can drag it, and finally drew an armor for the character.

Also updated the fog effect to support heavier fog as well

Going to take a small break from the coding, make some art and animations. After that I will get squads and turns in.

hacknhack

Literate
Has anyone here come across Eldiron? It's a still-in-development open source tool for making classic cRPGs. I saw it mentioned briefly in another thread, looked it up, and was pretty excited. At first glance, it includes a map editor, 2d and pseudo 3d, day/night cycles, lighting effects, and visual scripting. 3D proper and procedural generation are coming soon, too, apparently. Like I said, it's still in development, but you can compile a current build in Rust if you want to give it a go.

So, yeah, Eldiron. It looks promising and I'm slightly perplexed as to why it's not getting more interest.

https://www.eldiron.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCmrO356zLQv_m8dPEqBUfA
https://ultimacodex.com/2022/03/check-out-eldiron-a-rust-based-cross-platform-rpg-engine/

[I posted something similar in another thread but I think it got squashed in the moderation queue for whatever reason. So, sorry if this ends up being a kind of double post.]

Has anyone here come across Eldiron? It's a still-in-development open source tool for making classic cRPGs. I saw it mentioned briefly in another thread, looked it up, and was pretty excited. At first glance, it includes a map editor, 2d and pseudo 3d, day/night cycles, lighting effects, and visual scripting. 3D proper and procedural generation are coming soon, too, apparently. Like I said, it's still in development, but you can compile a current build in Rust if you want to give it a go.

So, yeah, Eldiron. It looks promising and I'm slightly perplexed as to why it's not getting more interest.

https://www.eldiron.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCmrO356zLQv_m8dPEqBUfA
https://ultimacodex.com/2022/03/check-out-eldiron-a-rust-based-cross-platform-rpg-engine/

[I posted something similar in another thread but I think it got squashed in the moderation queue for whatever reason. So, sorry if this ends up being a kind of double post.]
I would not touch anything engine related unless it was reasonably mature.

I have not tried this but https://nightmare-82.itch.io/rpg-tools, I had actually wanted to make something like that myself.

It does have that awful RPG maker asset pack look, and you just know this is going to suck somehow.

tritosine2k

Erudite
pseudo 3d, day/night cycles, lighting effects,
Extremely Dubious even 1 of those is implemented properly.

If you want this stuff use Blender and get several isometric/ top down layers out of it in order to overlap full hemisphere lighting with partial. That will be reasonably fast to allow 3D characters (you need to use ssao/ssdo on ).

3D proper and procedural generation are coming soon
:lol:

Last edited:

hacknhack

Literate
You mean bugs, optimization, et cetera? True enough. Despite all that and the early stage of development, I'm still surprised it's not getting more interest. Maybe classic style cRPGs are even more niche than I thought?

iu

I have not tried this but https://nightmare-82.itch.io/rpg-tools
It does have that awful RPG maker asset pack look....
Cool, a Jeff Vogel simulator! Seriously, though, thanks for the tip-off, I'll check it out.

I've got it into my head to try and work off my midlife crisis by hacking together an old fashioned cRPG. The aspiration is to find something to handle the basic mechanics while I focus on the world building, art and exploration crafting. If RPG Maker had workable on-map battles with movement, I'd use it. As things stand, it looks like I might have to bite the bullet and learn C# or whatever.
I'm sure you're right. I'm not really qualified to say. But the dev here does at least have a good pedigree. He's a onetime Chief Technology Officer at DivX and spent years developing 3D software. So, let's see. Fingers crossed.

As an aside, here's a screenshot to show the kind of pseudo and node based 3D he's talking about. It's definitely not an attempt to compete with modern 3D engines.

Rr6yNYi.jpeg

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Absurd claim anyone delivering on that wouldn't just give it away.
Maybe you need to express yourself with more clarity, because I have no idea what's supposed to be absurd about 3d models in an engine, or procedural generation of locations.

tritosine2k

Erudite
Absurd claim anyone delivering on that wouldn't just give it away.
Maybe you need to express yourself with more clarity, because I have no idea what's supposed to be absurd about 3d models in an engine, or procedural generation of locations.
Well maybe it's absurd because this stuff is stuck in rut so bad all ARPG procgen can be traced back straight to Diablo1 and 3d nowdays is synonymous with "shader stutter" and low unit count and (...).

And why would you spend time on this stuff if it's not an improvement.

tritosine2k

Erudite
He's a onetime Chief Technology Officer at DivX and spent years developing 3D software. So, let's see. Fingers crossed.

I think some way better than before 2.5D stuff has viral potential. Esp. with these ARPG influencers around so some ambition is certainly not a bad thing.
I just don't believe 3D is worthy goal unto itself. Characters in a prerendered 2.5D game? That'd do ( I'd even draw that during loading screen into sprite).

You mean bugs, optimization, et cetera? True enough. Despite all that and the early stage of development, I'm still surprised it's not getting more interest. Maybe classic style cRPGs are even more niche than I thought?

iu

I have not tried this but https://nightmare-82.itch.io/rpg-tools
It does have that awful RPG maker asset pack look....
Cool, a Jeff Vogel simulator! Seriously, though, thanks for the tip-off, I'll check it out.

I've got it into my head to try and work off my midlife crisis by hacking together an old fashioned cRPG. The aspiration is to find something to handle the basic mechanics while I focus on the world building, art and exploration crafting. If RPG Maker had workable on-map battles with movement, I'd use it. As things stand, it looks like I might have to bite the bullet and learn C# or whatever.
I'm sure you're right. I'm not really qualified to say. But the dev here does at least have a good pedigree. He's a onetime Chief Technology Officer at DivX and spent years developing 3D software. So, let's see. Fingers crossed.

As an aside, here's a screenshot to show the kind of pseudo and node based 3D he's talking about. It's definitely not an attempt to compete with modern 3D engines.

Rr6yNYi.jpeg
Hehe yeah it does look a bit Vogelish. I must admit I dislike the art style of the loon who churns out those RV Maker asset packs.

But coming back to that engine. It raises an interesting point. Is it indeed just more niche than you thought? I don't know but I would have to say, yes, that particular style of cRPG seems very niche to me, at least the way it currently presented. So no I am not surprised that only about 6 people are interested.

If you have a full game, that looks like that with a proper trailer and so on, then thats a different matter entirely.

In my honest opinion I would not use an engine because honestly non exists for cRPGs.

I would go with something like monogame or libGDX or SDL.

hacknhack

Literate
Hehe yeah it does look a bit Vogelish.
Don't get me wrong, I do like Vogel, but he's such a tempting target. :)
But coming back to that engine. It raises an interesting point. Is it indeed just more niche than you thought? I don't know but I would have to say, yes, that particular style of cRPG seems very niche to me, at least the way it currently presented. So no I am not surprised that only about 6 people are interested.
Yeah, the presentation isn't great. Still, I'd have thought more people would get excited over the (theoretical, yes) idea of an RPG Maker like engine for cRPGs, even if the orientation is very retro. Also, assuming everything works, I can see the potential for producing decent looking games despite the rudimentary assets included in the demo.
I would go with something like monogame or libGDX or SDL.
Thanks for the advice. It looks like it's time to learn scripting.

iu

Either that or start trying to work with the pre-release engine and hope the gods of jank smile on me.
I just don't believe 3D is worthy goal unto itself.
Yeah, I'm personally not particularly interested in 3D options either. Each to their own, I suppose.

Last edited:

Zeusington

Literate
It's one of those genres like adventure games where the elements everybody likes just get cooked into more in-vogue stuff. I enjoyed just finding stuff in crpgs but the combat was usually pretty ass. We can play something like ER, BotW, Elder Scrolls, even BG3, etc. where's there's stuff EVERYWHERE but the combat doesn't waste your time. Same with visuals, sound, etc.

tritosine touched on it, but if an engine / framework / etc. limits you in some way, then it should limit you in a way that doesn't detract from what makes the game good and special while also making you get creative to shine past said limitations. It shouldn't just make the same type of game but shittier while STILL requiring an insane asset grind.

hacknhack

Literate
It's one of those genres like adventure games where the elements everybody likes just get cooked into more in-vogue stuff. I enjoyed just finding stuff in crpgs but the combat was usually pretty ass. We can play something like ER, BotW, Elder Scrolls, even BG3, etc. where's there's stuff EVERYWHERE but the combat doesn't waste your time. Same with visuals, sound, etc.
And yet there are seemingly millions of people churning out cutesy little 2D JRPGs that no one ever plays?

Like the pyramids, it's a mystery.

Oh, and have a fist bump for being a fellow explorer type.

It shouldn't just make the same type of game but shittier while STILL requiring an insane asset grind.
Since my goal is to make a (hopefully enjoyable) concoction of untamed jank, I'm not too concerned about shitty at the mo. Worse is better and all that. Also, low fidelity graphics do at least reduce asset grind. :)

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
What is Codex's opinion of Unreal Engine 5?

Anybody here working with it?
I can only speak for myself but I am baffled why any solo dev would choose UE5.
Only good reason I can see is if you already have years of UE4 experience. If someone has no experience and no tech background at all then they should go with Godot

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik

Normally, for large companies, Blueprints exist for iteration and quickly testing some implementation. Then you put it into C++.
But as a solo dev, you just do it ALL on blueprints. And the speed of development on BPs is blazing fast.

A special word on animation. Unreal can do it all. Automatic animation retargeting. The animation blueprint is unparalleled in what it can do. And if you're interested in something like motion matching, UE has got you covered with paid (torrented) plugins.
And that's just one aspect of the high level functionality - animation. You have a sound designer on your team, Unreal has MetaSounds. You want networking - Unreal has unparalleled network system that you can work with in the editor - you select the number of clients and hit play: it launches a dedicated server and any number of client windows that immediately connect to the server... in EDITOR.

The only reason why not to use Unreal is if you want to do 2d. Otherwise, if you're not using Unreal, it's only out of ignorance.

Normally, for large companies, Blueprints exist for iteration and quickly testing some implementation. Then you put it into C++.
But as a solo dev, you just do it ALL on blueprints. And the speed of development on BPs is blazing fast.

A special word on animation. Unreal can do it all. Automatic animation retargeting. The animation blueprint is unparalleled in what it can do. And if you're interested in something like motion matching, UE has got you covered with paid (torrented) plugins.
And that's just one aspect of the high level functionality - animation. You have a sound designer on your team, Unreal has MetaSounds. You want networking - Unreal has unparalleled network system that you can work with in the editor - you select the number of clients and hit play: it launches a dedicated server and any number of client windows that immediately connect to the server... in EDITOR.

The only reason why not to use Unreal is if you want to do 2d. Otherwise, if you're not using Unreal, it's only out of ignorance.

So you are the "more is better" type. Look at all these fancy features, it makes UE5 x10 better. The gypsy wedding of engines.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom