Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

hacknhack

Literate
If you want to learn C# (programming) best way is to keep it simple and generic to start. You’ll really struggle learning in or alongside Unity as you’ll be learning Unity primarily and probably try to implement things that you don’t have the skill and experience to do. Look for a structured online course, doesn’t even have to be C#. Programming principles are mostly the same, it’s just changing syntax and slight differences with different languages. Once you actually understand programming you can switch pretty easily between the main languages.

You need to learn to code properly or you’ll just sit in iteration hell writing the same shit over and over because you keep doing things incorrectly because you have no experience and foresight.

Learn - practice - experiment with smaller projects.
Thanks, man. I did quite a bit of JS many, many years ago and was hoping that would be enough of a foundation to serve as a starting point, but.... you're probably right. Anyway, taking the time now is 100% preferable to tying myself in knots somewhere down the line. Thanks again.

It was fun last year so I made a shmup for the Bullet Hell Jam this year again. The theme was "Consequences" so I went for a loser superhero and casualties. There are 4 different final bosses and 5 endings (because during the boss battle where you proceed to save the world you might also destroy the earth, you can see it in the end of the video) depending on what you kill.
Hey, Misunderstoodman looks great! That naive aesthetic can be really hard to get right. Well done. Though, I must say, since I've been playing Twin Cobra and Truxton recently, how ******* tiny are modern day hit boxes? :)

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
Does anyone else have any advice for other good passion project working practices for people who have jobs in a similar domain and find themselves feeling burnt out juggling the two at the same time?
I only did updates for months ... huh, I still do. It's not even feeling burnt out, I just need uninterupted time to get something going. Do a gamejam - maybe built on it afterwards. I think the biggest roadblock is to start in a way that you have something tangible even if it is small. Because then a longer break doesn't affect you as much. At least that's the case for myself.

In your specific case I would just dedicate a certain amount of time in a week for the game (maybe waking up half an hour earlier or do 2 hours on a Sunday, just something which you can repeat). And if you want to be done in a reasonable amount of time: scope as much down as possible. Cut like 75% of the game and make a big nice-to-have-list. Or just work on it for 20 years and be the next Grimwah.

Justinian

Arcane
Developer
Getting into a steady work place. I decided to work on fun stuff like attacks first to build enthusiasm and it seems to be working. And actually it works out anyway since getting the base gameplay to feel good is the most important part early in development.

Hopefully there will be something playable by the end of next week.

vtCvKGh.png

y0mkhYZ.png

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
The last time I posted here I was having problems with the wheat fields. They were fun to walk through, but they caused a slowdown because of the sheer number of interactive foliage actors on screen. I roughly doubled the length and width covered by a cluster of wheat, so was able to bring the count down to 1/4 while keeping the same density and the effect is pretty much the same. Thanks for all of your suggestions.

I've been adding some other stuff. I wanted the areas to have more unique enemies so I made a few.
FrogAndCrab.jpg

Tortoise.jpg

The frog, crab, and tortoise are all new. The bird is mostly a recolor of another sprite. The crab and tortoise share a new leveled loot table. Right now monster shells can only be sold for money, but in the future I might add some quests or crafting recipes for them. The frog uses goblin loot tables.

I've been a little concerned that maybe the enemies are too cute. The player might feel bad about killing them. I hope not. Maybe the tortoise needs a spiky shell, at least on higher-level variants.

Today I've been trying to get the look right for this level.
Gloomwood-PostProcess.gif

It's called Gloomwood. Enemies will be undead, bats, wolves, pumpkins, and bandits. I'll add some fog volumes among the trees. Not sure what else it needs. Maybe some lamps along some of the paths. I'll keep working and give it some thought.

Did I post this here?
GearSphere.gif

I thought the town of Gearbridge needed something unique. If I had more time and resources I might add more stuff. This will do for now.

Zeusington

Literate
I thought the town of Gearbridge needed something unique. If I had more time and resources I might add more stuff. This will do for now.
My feedback here is kinda general regarding what I can see for your whole game, not just this part. It definitely looks competent on a technical level and the combat looks like FF12 but it doesn't waste your time, which is a good thing imho.

What kinda rubs me wrong is that your store page leads with "The borders of reality start to crumble as an unseen threat breaks its way into the world" and some other rhetoric it doesn't really indicate visually. It really just looks like a bunch of dudes whacking flora and fauna because they can. I'm all for whacking monsters with misfits, but a looming threat needs presence lest it just sounds like marketing. Maybe some baddies / vfx with a distinct look marking them as the looming threat? It'd be a good way to indicate "oh SHIT we gotta WHACK THAT" without being too heavy-handed. Aesthetic choices like that are better done sooner rather than later so give it a thought.

Hobknobling

Learned
The last time I posted here I was having problems with the wheat fields. They were fun to walk through, but they caused a slowdown because of the sheer number of interactive foliage actors on screen. I roughly doubled the length and width covered by a cluster of wheat, so was able to bring the count down to 1/4 while keeping the same density and the effect is pretty much the same. Thanks for all of your suggestions.

I've been adding some other stuff. I wanted the areas to have more unique enemies so I made a few.
FrogAndCrab.jpg

Tortoise.jpg

The frog, crab, and tortoise are all new. The bird is mostly a recolor of another sprite. The crab and tortoise share a new leveled loot table. Right now monster shells can only be sold for money, but in the future I might add some quests or crafting recipes for them. The frog uses goblin loot tables.

I've been a little concerned that maybe the enemies are too cute. The player might feel bad about killing them. I hope not. Maybe the tortoise needs a spiky shell, at least on higher-level variants.

It's called Gloomwood. Enemies will be undead, bats, wolves, pumpkins, and bandits. I'll add some fog volumes among the trees. Not sure what else it needs. Maybe some lamps along some of the paths. I'll keep working and give it some thought.

Did I post this here?
GearSphere.gif

The font and the health bar in the combat screen clashes with the art style and the character's head needs more work. I know this is work in progress, but just to make sure you know since most people won't give you proper feedback in game development communities.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
My feedback here is kinda general regarding what I can see for your whole game, not just this part. It definitely looks competent on a technical level and the combat looks like FF12 but it doesn't waste your time, which is a good thing imho.

What kinda rubs me wrong is that your store page leads with "The borders of reality start to crumble as an unseen threat breaks its way into the world" and some other rhetoric it doesn't really indicate visually. It really just looks like a bunch of dudes whacking flora and fauna because they can. I'm all for whacking monsters with misfits, but a looming threat needs presence lest it just sounds like marketing. Maybe some baddies / vfx with a distinct look marking them as the looming threat? It'd be a good way to indicate "oh SHIT we gotta WHACK THAT" without being too heavy-handed. Aesthetic choices like that are better done sooner rather than later so give it a thought.
Unfortunately, that actually is a bunch of marketing speech. I put that trailer together over a year ago when I had just the beginning of a procgen campaign and hadn't even started working on the story campaign. I need to make a new trailer now that I'm working on the main campaign. I'll definitely give some thought to unique/tougher enemies, especially the enemies behind the whole plot. Thanks for the feedback!

FrogAndCrab.jpg

Tortoise.jpg

Did I post this here?
GearSphere.gif

The font and the health bar in the combat screen clashes with the art style and the character's head needs more work. I know this is work in progress, but just to make sure you know since most people won't give you proper feedback in game development communities.
Thanks for the feedback! I based them off of FFXII's health bars.
ff12.jpg

FFXII's user interface is a lot more colorful than mine, which probably works better with the more colorful characters. My user interface is based on Octopath Traveler, which is mostly black and white. (I'm just now noticing this: I don't know what language Treffler, Angriff, and Aktion are. I just grabbed this from the internet somewhere.) Should I make my HP bars less colorful to match the rest of my UI? Or when you say it clashes with the art style, do you think it would look better more pixelated? Bigger? Bigger would be fine, except that we're actually looking at a zoomed-in and clipped screenshot, and with a full party of 7 and lots of enemies on the screen it can get kind of chaotic.

If I'm going to rework the HP bars, I was thinking of doing something else. I need to include character level somewhere. I was thinking of writing the character level next to the character/enemy name.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
The gear thing looks really cool
Thanks! It's a geodesic sphere from Blender with two materials. There's a big gear spinning counter-clockwise and a small gear spinning faster clockwise. I split the sphere where I wanted the gears to be, and then expanded the faces slightly so that the teeth will overlap.

baboogy

Literate
Does anyone else have any advice for other good passion project working practices for people who have jobs in a similar domain and find themselves feeling burnt out juggling the two at the same time?
I had to work on a project with a rather strict deadline alongside a day job with even worse deadlines.

Short-term advice: break things down into tasks you can finish in an hour or two.
Long-term advice: watch your energy and trim as much fat as possible to finish the project before you lose interest. Otherwise, you're fucked.
I only did updates for months ... huh, I still do. It's not even feeling burnt out, I just need uninterupted time to get something going. Do a gamejam - maybe built on it afterwards. I think the biggest roadblock is to start in a way that you have something tangible even if it is small. Because then a longer break doesn't affect you as much. At least that's the case for myself.

In your specific case I would just dedicate a certain amount of time in a week for the game (maybe waking up half an hour earlier or do 2 hours on a Sunday, just something which you can repeat). And if you want to be done in a reasonable amount of time: scope as much down as possible. Cut like 75% of the game and make a big nice-to-have-list. Or just work on it for 20 years and be the next Grimwah.
Thanks, the scoping down is something I've already accepted as a must do. Have cut the scope from what I originally set out to do more than once now, really trying to focus on making the essentials feel as good as I can make them. It'll be something to build off of.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Short-term advice: break things down into tasks you can finish in an hour or two.
Long-term advice: watch your energy and trim as much fat as possible to finish the project before you lose interest. Otherwise, you're fucked.

Man, based on past experiences, for the sort of (most of) the games i'd want to make i'd need to be trimming through the bone to avoid losing interest :-P

PlayerEmers

Educated
Started learning some godot. Going to mess around with it and prototype something... probably something top-down... IDK
What i know for sure is that i need to stop procrastinating and actually do something.

rap2h

Arcane
Developer
Started learning some godot. Going to mess around with it and prototype something... probably something top-down... IDK
What i know for sure is that i need to stop procrastinating and actually do something.
I randomly clicked on your itch link and tried rockitcarnage, I like it!

PlayerEmers

Educated
I randomly clicked on your itch link and tried rockitcarnage, I like it!
ty
I abandoned with because at the time I though a speeding type of platformer was not a good match for shooting mechanics + physics based platforming skills
But recently Laika got released and for the looks of it, it did a good job.

Might come back to it but my mind for now is set in other style of games

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer

Man, based on past experiences, for the sort of (most of) the games i'd want to make i'd need to be trimming through the bone to avoid losing interest :-P
Sometimes big projects can be broken down into several smaller games that work as stepping stones towards the original goal.

I don't think it's a good example but think of trying to tackle Daggerfall on your own by starting with a pure dungeon crawler and building the open world in a sequel.

IMO, getting shit done and seeing the results is the best way to maintain interest, and the "less is more" rule is king here.

Yuber

Educated
I am trying to make a 4X AI that is not cheating with same capabilities as the human player. But if I make a map with much ocean and the AI is done discovering their starter continent it can happen that it is traveling many many turns through the ocean trying to find a new continent.

SMjKyD8.png

I guess it is realistic but it can make the AI take forever to find other players.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
I am trying to make a 4X AI that is not cheating with same capabilities as the human player. But if I make a map with much ocean and the AI is done discovering their starter continent it can happen that it is traveling many many turns through the ocean trying to find a new continent.

SMjKyD8.png

I guess it is realistic but it can make the AI take forever to find other players.
Yeah, why change it given your mission is not to let the AI cheat?

SMjKyD8.png

Could you make it search smarter? It would not be cheating to check more likely places first.

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
Yeah, Yuber just draw a circle in the center (or an oval with the minor axis as phi if the map isn't square) and set a preference for targets on or near the outline of that circle. It's what humans do subconsciously and it's also the likeliest place for land tile aggregation if you're generating it minesweeper style.

Last edited:

ciox

Liturgist

FrogAndCrab.jpg

Tortoise.jpg

Did I post this here?
GearSphere.gif

Since you're also on UDK, you could maybe look into spline loft actors, they can be used to make nice-looking roads, paths, rails, and other winding things, since right now it seems you use landscape painting for that. It works nearly as good as the spline meshes in UE4 and later.
The setup takes a little while to figure out, but there are tutorials. https://docs.unrealengine.com/udk/Three/UsingSplineLoftActors.html https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=0OlHcOUWfsU

GoblinGrotto

Novice
I don't think the zig zag pattern represent how a player would travel. Probably should make it pick direction and have it somewhat keep to it for some turns.

Also I don't mind an AI cheating as long as it's not too blatant and in the player face. I'd rather have an AI provide an interesting challenge than be "human" like.

SMjKyD8.png

Doesn't the problem come from AI having too short line of sight? Increase seeing radius for both player and AI and check what happens.

Justinian

Arcane
Developer
wasted all day but finally found a fairly easy way to do chain lightning. Unfortunately I will be limited in what I can do for the chaining sprite since I have to stretch it (for whatever reason, the tiling sprite function doesn't have a length you can set).

zvlryQQ.png

SMjKyD8.png

I know that looks like a dumb path to take, but in fairness, that kind of pattern can happen in a 4X even as a human player. You go one way, you don't find anything. Maybe you could keep going... or maybe you turn around and start searching in another direction. I think the only problem here is that it sometimes travels too close to known areas - arrow 4 passes pretty close by the end of arrow 1, arrow 5 passes by land that's presumably already known, and arrow 9 returns to an area that's been visited already. I would suggest that when it's on "exploration" mode (as opposed to just trying to traverse the ocean to a known location) it should avoid setting locations that are within a given distance from already-visited locations as its next area to check.

Basically, I think doubling back should be ok, it should just spread its targets out more.

ciox

Liturgist
This might be interesting when it comes to the idea of searching with limited information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lévy_flight_foraging_hypothesis
Anyway I'm pretty sure the solution is for the AI to use more and more probes to search, based on what its resources allow, think hiring more heroes in Heroes 3 to explore the map faster.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom