Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Codex's Best DS RPGs

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Bros, since this month the New Generation of Consoles™ arrives I thought it was time for a nice retrospective look on what ye old console generation had to offer us. The PS3 especially holds many RPGs that would definitely be worthy of the Codex, such as Dragon's Dogma and Valkyria Chronicles, so let's give them some love.

After all the drama on the Top PC/Console list, this time I'll adopt a ranking/point system. 10 Codexers shall rank their Top 5 PS3/Xbox RPGs, each worth the following: 1° - 25 points, 2° - 18 points, 3° - 15 points, 4° - 12 points, 5° - 10 points.

We then add the points, and write about the the Top 5, with two codexers per game sharing a small review. Only console exclusives are in, so Demon's Souls is ok, Dark Souls is out. Also, no handhelds, they easily deserve a list of their own.

I need 9 esteemed codex bros that own(ed) a PS3/ Xbox 360/ Wii and have played at least 5 console-exclusive RPGs, who can join? :)

SuicideBunny spekkio cboyardee Vaarna_Aarne Damned Registrations DragoFireheart Hobo Elf Jasede Anthony Davis, IIRC, you guys have consoles, care to join?

Last edited:

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Besides obvious Valkyria Chronicles spot, I'd say either Way of the Samurai 3 or Way of the Samurai 4 deserves a place. WotS4 is my pick, the gameplay is superior and True Ending Path shenanigans aside presented with much more clarity for jobs and branching.

And it has the best pick-up lines ever ("You have a nice, firm ass" is just the beginning for the Ronin of Love).

Delterius

Arcane
Good to see that my suggestion of enslaving you in the name of Gamebanshee has yielded something of interest. In any case I hope you people don't forget Valkyria Chronicles. EDIT: Ninja'd.

Does Diablo 3 count? :troll:

By the way felipe, its your chance to defend FF XIII's systems in the name of the Codex. Seize this opportunity!

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
If we are taking TRPGs like Valkyria Chronicles into consideration, then of course Disgaea 4: Promise Unforgotten.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I have not played 5 console exclusive RPGs on the PS3. Sorry, can't help in that regard.

But if you have any Dragon's Dogma/Demon's Souls questions, I can answer them!

Edit: Mention of Dokapon Kingdom should be made even though it's for the Wii.

Delterius

Arcane
I read on this forum before that while the game on the whole seems average, Two Worlds II had some interesting ideas going for it. Namely the magic system, I guess. Something to do with cards. Could be something worth looking into.

Demon's Souls questions

I dearly hope people don't gloss over Demon's just because Dark Souls exist. Demon's is such an interesting game. The ambience is incredible.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I dearly hope people don't gloss over Demon's just because Dark Souls exist. Demon's is such an interesting game. The ambience is incredible.

Both games are great, but even with similar engines it's interesting how different they are. Overlooking either game is a mistake.

It was for the PS2 originally... not sure if the Wii version adds anything.

I don't think so.

Maybe include ALL console exclusive RPGs? Most of the really good ones are pre-PS3/Xbox360 era.

Vaarna_Aarne

I'm in. I can handle doing my take on Valkyria Chronicles. Heck, I'll replay it and the DLCs to be on the safe side (what a wonderful excuse to replay VC)! Has anyone else played Way of the Samurai 4?

EDIT: Should we do a special mention of Dynasty Warriors 7 Empires? I mean, in a lot of ways it'd fit and it's certainly nonlinear and replayable.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Man I would love to help with this but I honestly haven't even played that many console RPG's this gen and the few I have I only beat a couple of them. Still good luck to you.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
#1 Demon's Souls
#2 Dragon's Dogma
#3 Yakuza 3
#4 Way of the Samurai 3
#5 Nier

I'd put Nier, but no multiplat. Some others that I played, like White Knight Chronicles, were absolute shit. Didn't play that many PS3 exclusive RPGs because they mostly looked like pedoshit. Played a few exclusive RPGs on my 360 (before it RRoD) but they were all trite, generic animu shit. If the Wii counts as well then there's Xenoblade Chronicles, but that game falls in the "trite, generic animu shit" category. Some really hard hitters and some really shit games this gen. I feel that this sentiment is especially true for this gen.

Last edited:

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Sorry, on the PS3 I only played three titles:
1. Folklore
2. Valkyria Chronicles

3. Disgaea 4: Promise Unforgotten

There was also some stuff for PS2 like:
4. Xenosaga
5. Xenosaga II
6. Rogue Galaxy

I did not finish 1, 4, 5 and 6.

EDIT: Forgot FFXII.

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Ok, so far there's myself, Vaarna and Hobo Elf. Who else?

EDIT: Should we do a special mention of Dynasty Warriors 7 Empires? I mean, in a lot of ways it'd fit and it's certainly nonlinear and replayable.
Add whatever you wish to the list, even if it only has your vote, I'll make a ranking with all entres in the end. And maybe each voting person can add a special mention at the end, we'll see. :)

Kem0sabe

Arcane
You guys mentioning Way of the Samurai 4 got me interested. Is it truly an inclined Samurai RPG or is it some kind of otaku madness?

way_of_samurai_4_thumb1.jpg

This is one of the first images i see when i searched google for it.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
They are cool CYOA games where you can LARP just about any kind of Ronin you ever saw in movies. It's fun to replay the game over and over again to see how the stories twist and turn based on all of your choices. I say stories because it can be completely different depending on what you do, who you meet and how you talk / act with them.

Vaarna_Aarne

I can do a Valkyria Chronicles look-see with Whiskey. Should be fun. (Incidentally, I'd put VC as #1)

You guys mentioning Way of the Samurai 4 got me interested. Is it truly an inclined Samurai RPG or is it some kind of otaku madness?

way_of_samurai_4_thumb1.jpg

This is one of the first images i see when i searched google for it.
The result of letting the player use ALL the body and head models in the game as they please. It does cater quite a bit to the madness (WotS3 is more serious overall), but at the same time it has stronger characterization and a far better enacted plot (the True Ending has some awesome Zorro shit going on for it). The True Ending in particular has lots of nice scenes (it's True Ending mostly because it's the one where all the nice characters survive, other endings end up with around half of them dead), like when the buddy lieutenant of the leader of the local anti-foreigner rebels is convinced to go take a class at a Western school (incidentally, depending on prior playthroughs your character may not understand English), where he gets to learn a little perspective and humility.

The biggest carrot is that gameplay and swordfighting is excellent, and the fact they separate Fighting Styles from your weapon is a superb improvement from 3. The sheer quantity of possible moves you can use to craft your custom style, and the weapon creation system just add up to a very personalized experience (and it has pistol, rifle, and VIABLE unarmed in addition to just sword, dual sword and spear styles).

And as mentioned, like every WotS game it excels in branching storyline. The game might be short per playthrough, but when you have ten distinct endings achieved through different general story paths, and with quests that have multiple outcomes that matter, you end up with a much longer total playtime than norm.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Also my list of favorite console of this generation rpg's:

1. Dragon's Dogma
2. Valkyria Chronicles
3. Ni no Kuni
4. Dragon's Crown
5. Resonance of Fate

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Mine are :

1. Demon's Souls
2. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
3. Final Fantasy XIII-2
4. Valkyria Chronicles
5. Disgaea 4

5th spot was hard to decide, but I'm too much of a combat fag. :3

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom