Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Colony Ship Early Access Update: First System Update

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Colony Ship: A Post-Earth Role Playing Game; Iron Tower Studio

Vault Dweller and his team took a break from content creation this month to put together a systems update for the Colony Ship Early Access build. The centerpiece of the update appears to be the addition of an Easy difficulty mode and a tutorial. While this may anger purists, it has allowed Iron Tower to make the game's standard difficulty even harder. The update also overhauls the PSI system. Psi attacks will now always hit, but can be resisted by a new Neural Resistance stat which is determined by Charisma. Plus there are new weapons and armor, new feats, and plenty of balance tweaks. Here's the summary:

Difficulty & Tutorial

Despite our best efforts to keep the difficulty manageable and engage players who struggle, some players find the game frustrating and unplayable rather than challenging. Needless to say, frustrating people was never our goal, so we added Easy difficulty mode and a tutorial explaining key concepts.

Coincidentally, now that we don't have to worry about first-time players, we can make the Hard difficulty a bit more challenging.

Feats & Derived Stats

Charisma now adds Neural Resistance (see Psi Overhaul below). We added 3 new feats (Master Trader, Frog Hunter, Slow Metabolism) and 3 new mutually exclusive mutation feats as quest rewards. Plus balance changes to the existing feats as suggested by the players.

Weapons & Armor
  • Extensive balance changes, added new armguards and leg armor.
  • We added Old (-1DR) and Damaged (-3DR) armor sets to boost variety on the visual side. Most enemies will be wearing old and damaged armor. New armor will be sold in stores. Unique (custom-made) – looted from notable enemies.
  • New weapons: long requested laser cutter, two energy 'shotguns' (a close range energy gun, Earth-made and Ship-made) and 'SMG' (a rapid-fire energy gun), a Ship-made energy club, a clawhammer for the bashers, and a bunch of firearms: a revolver, shotguns, rifles, etc.
Combat & Stealth AI

Improved enemies behavior in combat and stealth: target and attack selection, grenade and stim use, reaction to sound and dead bodies, alert levels, etc.

PSI Overhaul
  • PSI attacks always hit (as they don't rely on sight), but the effect can be resisted and damage reduced by Neural Resistance (NR).
  • You can't be faster than a thought so PSI enemies have a much higher initiative
  • Charisma boosts your NR, which can be increased further with implants, helmets, feats, and stims.
  • Zen stim increases NR by 40 for 2 turns
  • Improved Mindworms' attacks
Fight Balance

Some fights were way too easy and we apologize to everyone affected.

Misc
  • Implants: you can extract them from dead bodies and repair them if they get damaged during extraction due to low skills.
  • Gadgets: new tier and rebalance
  • Expanded dialogues and quest improvements
  • Attack effects' balance changes
Sounds good. The full patch notes are available here. With this out of the way, Colony Ship is now ready for the second half of its Early Access roadmap, where the ship's major factions will come into play.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Implants: you can extract them from dead bodies and repair them if they get damaged during extraction due to low skills.

thanks Vault Dweller !
a419cc47e8601347ea174105149bbcf1.jpg

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Yeah, definitely not kidding there. The AI now uses stims and grenades, which makes a huge difference. Plus we upped the skills of several enemies that were a bit too easy after the addition of the Mission Control ruins.

My game's AI still does the thing where it gets into melee range and drops a grenade at its feet. It's either poorly programmed or I made a suicide bomber on accident.

:deathclaw:

I'll get there one day.

Joyvankek

Learned
Game look interesting so far, though I am no willing to do charity and support another ea game. I will keep this one on my radar though.
Hopefully they're actually working on it, and it won't be ea for the next 5 years.

elverkongen

Learned
Yeah, definitely not kidding there. The AI now uses stims and grenades, which makes a huge difference. Plus we upped the skills of several enemies that were a bit too easy after the addition of the Mission Control ruins.

My game's AI still does the thing where it gets into melee range and drops a grenade at its feet. It's either poorly programmed or I made a suicide bomber on accident.

:deathclaw:

I'll get there one day.
AI so sophisticated it has discovered monotheism.

gaussgunner

Arcane
PSI? They could have come up with a different nomenclature from underrail
Xcom had PSI or Psionics... it goes way back, maybe 100 years. Why mess with tradition?

I'm pumped for this game.
Yeah, and only this game. I trust Vault Dweller not to pull a Copper Dreams on us.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom