Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Colony Ship RPG Update #9: Locations Overview

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Infinitron, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: Colony Ship RPG; Iron Tower Studios; Vault Dweller

With Dungeon Rats out of the way, it looks like Iron Tower have returned to their monthly schedule for Colony Ship RPG updates. This month's update is a brief overview of the game's locations:

Now that DR is out, we return to our regularly scheduled program. So locations...

- 16 locations. Thematically, we can split them into 5 groups: engine (more than one area), "wasteland" (completely destroyed decks, including areas with zero gravity), cargo holds, residential, bridge.

- Most locations will be 'revisitable', i.e. you will have reasons (new objectives) to go back, which will boost reactivity when you get shot in the face.

- Each location is designed to support 3 main paths through the game: brute force, diplomacy, infiltration. Most locations are populated by various small groups and factions, so killing everyone will limit your endgame options, which is fitting.

- Many locations will have multiple levels and the "vertical element". We played with it in DR a bit. For those who didn't play the game, you're looking at the previously visited areas from a higher point you couldn't reach directly.

In the CSG, for example, you would be able to take a safe way through a certain area via the walkways (a toll road) and see the area below (and go down if you see something shiny) or if you're too cheap to pay make your way through the debris below and brave the dangers undoubtedly awaiting the unprepared.

- Most locations are interconnected in logical ways (i.e. not isolated areas), which will create many interesting opportunities for the explorers as well as occasional quest solutions for the gadgeteers.

In the past updates I've briefly introduced the Pit (the Freemen's Camp), the Hydroponics, the Armory, and the Shuttle Bay. The final "cargo hold" location is the Factory - a large industrial complex that was designed to teach the new generation various engineering skills and provide simulated environments to practice them. Today it's an abandoned and thus somewhat dangerous area connecting the Pit with the City. It's been stripped clean from the 'big ticket' items but there's plenty of junk left for the scavengers willing to risk their lives for a few coins.

[​IMG]
    The full update has two additional concept images of the Pit, which use a style similar to this one. Apparently, Iron Tower have chosen a new art direction for the game, as they're quite different from the Pit concept we saw back in April.

• Brofist x 10
    • Thanks! x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Goral Arcane Patron The Real Fanboy

Goral
    Looks gay. [​IMG]

Show Spoiler
    :troll:

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. M0RBUS Augur

M0RBUS
    I'm gay for Colony Ship RPG.

• Fabulously Optimistic x 3
    • meh x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. karfhud Savant

karfhud
    Sweet concepts, those.

Vault Dweller, from a purely pipeline perspective, do your artists work on the levels directly from these concepts, or are they provided with the isometric ones as well?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. circ Arcane

circ
    colonship.

^ Top  
  6. Klarion Arcane

Klarion
    is this gonna be built in the same engine as AOD?

Dis gaem gonna be yuge anyway...

A real sci-fi RPG finally.

^ Top  
  7. Goral Arcane Patron The Real Fanboy

Goral
    Klarion
    They'll try Unreal engine 4 with this game but in case they can't handle it they will get back to Torque.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Kev Inkline Arcane Patron

Kev Inkline
    A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    My suggestion for a dandy name

:y Ship

:shittydog:

^ Top  
  9. Lurker King Self-Ejected The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    Guys, they will use Unreal engine 4 for this game, but the game will not look like the concept art. Don't get your hopes up. They are choosing Unreal because it is a more functional engine, not because it has a graphic card in it, because it doesn't. They hired one more artist, but that is it. Expecting that the gameplay will be like the concept art is like expecting that the gameplay of AoD would look like its concept art.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Kev Inkline Arcane Patron

Kev Inkline
    A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    So are you saying, that before we know it, they will do conceptual renders for their Figstarter campaign?

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Lurker King Self-Ejected The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    That is exactly what I'm saying! :D

^ Top  
  12. Lurker King Self-Ejected The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    ITS is taking cRPGs to a whole new level. The writing and C&C will be like AoD, which already beat FO and other classics, and the combat system will knock JA2 out of the park.

• retadred retadred x 3
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Fenix Arcane Vatnik

Fenix
    Cologne Ship.

• Funny Funny x 4
    ^ Top  
  14. Klarion Arcane

Klarion
    Yes, and best of all, it's gonna be Sci-Fi... a genre which is very lacking in real(hard-core) CRPGs. I don't remember being so pumped up about CRPG.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • incline incline x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. covr Prophet Patron

covr
    Colony Ship Rats or gtfo

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    We're aiming to do much better in the visual department. With AoD we had to compromise a lot and go with 'generic' most of the time. We didn't have proper concept art, proper references, manpower, etc. Almost everything you see in AoD that's not animated was done by Oscar who also handled quest scripting, which is a massive task in itself. So essentially we had half an artist, which isn't a lot.

Now we have Mazin (he joined us too late to make a strong impact on the art direction, other than the portraits, the interface, and uniqiue icons, his main contribution was the tower and it shows), so he will oversee each area. Now we have a good concept artist who understands what we're trying to do. Now we have Joao (he's doing guns now and it's a top notch work, never seen better). If we're lucky, we might get a good texturer to free up Oscar's time but that's down the road.

So basically, here is our process now. First I do a level in Excel, figure out what we need and what it should look like. Then I pass it to the concept artist along with the references. Once we have all the concept art and Joao is done with the weapons, he'll make the models we need to ensure that the in-game locations look as close to the concepts as possible. Then we put it together. It doesn't mean that it will look exactly like the concepts but you should definitely expect more than AoD level of visuals.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
    • Brofist Brofist x 10
    • Excited! Excited! x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Lurker King Self-Ejected The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    I remember that he was involved in everything, but I didn't know it was to such an extent. Kudos to you, Elhoim! While I think it is important to improve the looks, I also think it would be unwise to make too much sacrifices in that departament. I have the impression that Aterdux spent a fortune improving the looks of LoE, but the sales didn't pay off. It seems that you need the whole package (looks + lack of challenge) in order to attract more players.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    At the same time LoE sold pretty good for an unknown indie (same as AoD) - 62k copies according to SteamSpy. There are many indie strategy games that did a LOT worse and failed to hit even 10k copies sold. These days 60k copies isn't something that can be taken for granted.

^ Top  
  19. Davaris Australian Game Developers Developer

Davaris
    So you don't use anything like Articy by the sounds of it. An article documenting your process with pictures would be a very interesting read. Or perhaps do what all the cool kids are doing and use Twitch. :D

^ Top  
  20. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    I don't even know what Twitch is (some social network faggotry, no doubt), so that's a no. After a certain age, you just draw the line and start ignoring all tech/cool new shit above that line.

• Old x 7
    • Prestigious x 4
    • Salute x 3
    • Brofist x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Davaris Australian Game Developers Developer

Davaris
    Twitch is just live streaming, so you can have your own live TV show. I've been watching a show on Youtube called Handmande Hero where teaches old school programming and promotes and raises money for his game at the same time. He broadcasts it live on Twitch, then archives the old shows on Youtube, Far better than any course I took at Uni.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Developer

Elhoim
    Thanks!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Kev Inkline Arcane Patron

Kev Inkline
    Anyone with a moniker Handmade Hero sounds an awfully lonely, but at least he meets his own needs, if you know what I mean. *nudge, nudge, wink, wink*

^ Top  
  24. Davaris Australian Game Developers Developer

Davaris
    It's not his moniker, its the name of his game and the course. He is Casey Muratori formerly of RAD Game Tools. The handmade part is where he makes a game live, using no engines or libraries,like they did back in Ye Olden Days. https://hero.handmade.network/episodes The cool part is his game and course has spawned a community of programmers, who are making their own projects using the handmade ideal.

I saw another indie dev named Cliffski of Positech say that blogging isn't working for him anymore when it comes to promotion, so he's using video more. That's why I suggested Twitch to VD. Get RPG devs to meet on it and start discussing whatever, then do a QA at the end with the audience. It would be more interesting than the garbage that is on TV.

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Fenix Arcane Vatnik

Fenix
    Sounds cool but as humanitarian type I vaguely can imagine why "old programming" better or interesting then conditional "modern".
    Can you clarify?

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.