Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Colony Ship RPG Update #9: Locations Overview

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
It's not his moniker, its the name of his game and the course. He is Casey Muratori formerly of RAD Game Tools. The handmade part is where he makes a game live, using no engines or libraries,like they did back in Ye Olden Days. https://hero.handmade.network/episodes The cool part is his game and course has spawned a community of programmers, who are making their own projects using the handmade ideal.
Sounds cool but as humanitarian type I vaguely can imagine why "old programming" better or interesting then conditional "modern".
Can you clarify?

I have no idea what being a humanitarian has to do with programming. lol

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Get RPG devs to meet on it and start discussing whatever, then do a QA at the end with the audience. It would be more interesting than the garbage that is on TV.
In your suggestion hidden many different things.
First - ability to express his thoughts in speech and in text is a different things. Not completely but still, and that's because different sections of the brain are responsible for perception of voice, perception of visual information, perception of the text, and ability to express his thoughts in speech and in text.
Modern days are days of famous Video Era - where due to preponderance of video format attention span of a common man is significantly shorter, and section of the brain responcible for perception of text is underdeveloped (or untrained), while section of the brain responcible for perception of visual information is hypertrophied, that's why modern movies have in general stunning visuals and worst-than-mediocre script.
So, besides "ability to express his thoughts in speech and in text is a different things", there is another reason - whole PRGCodex looks like community that consist from people who prefer text over visuals, at least the basis of community.
And whole work of Vault Dweller looks like he refers specifically to this audience, and doing his work for such people.
So, when the Twotch aims and visual-voice oriented people, his audience is text-oriented, so it is actually a bad idea, e.g. I doesn't look videopodcasts and such thing even in Russian, and prefer plain and simple good old text (btw information in videoformat passes those sections of the brain that responcible for critical thinking that's why TV is such a invaluable tool for propaganda and lie).

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
It's not his moniker, its the name of his game and the course. He is Casey Muratori formerly of RAD Game Tools. The handmade part is where he makes a game live, using no engines or libraries,like they did back in Ye Olden Days. https://hero.handmade.network/episodes The cool part is his game and course has spawned a community of programmers, who are making their own projects using the handmade ideal.
Sounds cool but as humanitarian type I vaguely can imagine why "old programming" better or interesting then conditional "modern".
Can you clarify?

I have no idea what being a humanitarian has to do with programming. lol

Okay I see there is a minor language barrier. I wasn't sure if you were trolling.

I am not good at explaining things. Would be better to watch some of his videos, if you're not satisfied with your current programming approach, however:

He teaches the process of making your own engine from scratch without libraries. This way you can make your own engines, or modify existing ones to do things no one else can do, because unlike most you understand absolutely everything.

He thinks OO programming and design has been a disaster for programmers and gives many examples during the course to support his opinion.

He uses C programming with almost no C++ extensions, so you are thinking not in terms of abstract objects, but how the processor and memory of the computer works.

He uses an exploratory approach to programming that he calls Compression Oriented Programming, where you aim in the general direction of the solution, solve each problem as you encounter it and let the structures reveal themselves naturally. When the structures become visible, that is when you push them up (compress them). It can take several iterations to reach a good solution.

Sorry that is best I can manage.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Okay I see there is a minor language barrier. I wasn't sure if you were trolling.
I'm not trolling, I'm just said that I'm humanitarian but want to know "hows and whys" from programmers, it is mostly interest in modern education system and how it has affected programming. Thanks you for answer.
Also this man you talking about looks like Renaissance man. )

Basically it all goes to a point, I think, where programmers in the future will not be able to understand how that all works, and I can imagine distant future where programming languages developed so far, that you can just tell machine what to do, and it will do.
Also, I can easly imagine that such society will use caste system, and most likely machines will be perceived if not as gods, but at least the angels, demons, and other smaller intermediaries, and language of programmong as spells, witchcraft, arcane knowledge, mystical powers etc.

Vault Dweller do you have something like that in your CSG?

Last edited:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Not anymore. In the very first iteration we had a caste system and a certain group (descendants of the tech officers) able to interact with the ship via long-forgotten commands that would be like spells to everyone else, but the idea was too similar to AoD loremasters and mantras, so we discarded it.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm not trolling, I'm just said that I'm humanitarian but want to know "hows and whys" from programmers, it is mostly interest in modern education system and how it has affected programming.

I wonder if you by humanitarian mean someone who has arts major or not excessively mathematical education, I mean for instance in Finnish "humanistic sciences" is something you'd call arts in English.

Sorry for derailing, carry on.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Not anymore. In the very first iteration we had a caste system and a certain group (descendants of the tech officers) able to interact with the ship via long-forgotten commands that would be like spells to everyone else, but the idea was too similar to AoD loremasters and mantras, so we discarded it.

You know, you do understand what mantra really is.
Surprising.

Its just a way to operate world, no "magic" in it.

Also, with mantra our distant selves operated this world. Today this knowledge is all but forgotten since we have to rely on mechanisms (yantra), this reliance weakens us further.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
but the idea was too similar to AoD loremasters and mantras
Well, I didn't get to this point in game, so yeah, if AoD have it then yeah, something diffirent would be better.

No, it is actually a good question, now at least I know that it can be misleading.
Humanitarian sciences are - history, languages, philosophy etc.
It is opposition of exact sciences - mathematics, physics etc.
A traditional division for Russia.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom