Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Colony Ship update #33 - State of the Game

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,7703.0.html

After nearly 2 years of work we finally have a playable build, which is very exciting. First, we finally get to see how things work in-game, not on paper, and second, it's great to see the game rapidly changing with every daily update. It's very rough, of course, as it's the First Iteration: a promise of things to come rather than an actual game, but the promise IS there and it's a good thing. Right now you can talk to people, fight, loot bodies, increase skills and equip new gear. The dialogue scripts are working like a charm, so you can go through all the fights and get one of 5 endings. The AI is doing a pretty good job seeking cover, flanking, and using different attacks. Collapsible textbox, pop-up attack icons with tooltips, status icons that tell you which enemies your character has a line of sight on, if the enemies are in cover, and most importantly, if you're still in cover when the enemies are flanking you; the cover provides the highest bonus when the cover is between you and the enemy; less when the enemy is at an angle), etc.

The only feature that's not done yet is the gadgets (energy shield and such), which gives us time to focus on the basic mechanics, iron them out, then introduce the gadgets. The armor sets are almost done, waiting to be textured. Plus tons of small things like various GUI improvements, proper textbox messages that show rolls Battle Brothers style (it's much easier to accept missing 3 times in a row when you see what you're rolling), blood splatters, a balance pass or two (changed AP from DEX+10 to DEX*1.5+5, working on the attack and weapon stats now), the cursor, etc. All in all, I'd say we need 2 months to get the combat system into shape before we start beta-testing, then another month before we release it.

It's longer than we expected but late is always better than never. In comparison, it took us over 5 years to reach this point with AoD (due to working part-time and being inexperienced), so overall the game is progressing nicely.

Anyway, here are some screens. Keep in mind, that's it's work in progress, as rough as the very first build can be:

YbfvSCW.png

hc6ninX.png

JxGvCpI.png

iMx03pa.png

jKeOB2H.png

eiGjFr4.png

ebRz38o.png

e5Mpksh.png

mBlOw8u.png

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and your families.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Looks great! Looking forward to seeing the non-railroaded dialogues when you're past combat demo stage.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
That looks really nice! Really looking forward to seeing more of the game!

Vault Dweller

Developer
Will you be able to kill communists?
Yes.

nuXcom combat? I assume that is half and full cover icons.
I'd say that nuXCOM combat is better defined by its two-action system (its biggest deviation from X-COM, the second being the squad size) than by its cover system, but yes, the shields represent half- and full-cover. Keep in mind that the arena is designed for combat and the amusement of the crowd watching from above, so it has plenty of cover (the current cover placement is wip though). Other areas won't have crates and containers conveniently placed everywhere, so you'll have plenty showdowns OK Corral style. In other times you'd have to rely on the gadgets.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'd say that nuXCOM combat is better defined by its two-action system (its biggest deviation from X-COM, the second being the squad size) than by its cover system, but yes, the shields represent half- and full-cover. Keep in mind that the arena is designed for combat and the amusement of the crowd watching from above, so it has plenty of cover (the current cover placement is wip though). Other areas won't have crates and containers conveniently placed everywhere, so you'll have plenty showdowns OK Corral style. In other times you'd have to rely on the gadgets.

Alright, yeah, I noticed you have AP and stuff. Just to be sure - you can still be hit hiding behind a box or a wall, it only lowers the chance of getting hit? Have you decided what the % protection will be?

Vault Dweller

Developer
I love that Chief Justice portrait. Mazin is worth every penny.
Yes, it's a great portrait that fits the Chief Justice like a glove. While he's no Miltiades, he's quite a fucking weasel and you'd want to murder him many times before the demo is over.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Dumb question, but is the THC heat bar to hit the thug, or the thug to hit us?

Vault Dweller

Developer
To hit the thug. Different attacks and weapons modify critical, hit, and graze ranges, so you need to see the whole thing to understand it better. For example, a shotgun would have a very high graze range (hard to miss at close range), a scoped rifle in aimed: head would have the highest critical range, etc.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Ok, that makes sense.

Have you looked at flipping the X axis, so it presents as miss to crit from L -> R? There’s something very natural, for me at least, to read line charts like that from less to more - generally speaking - as you go from left to right.

hivemind

Do you think there will be any avenues for like "content per run" minmaxing as there were in AoD as a consequence of like skill check gating certain content?

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
I presume that "fanning" -attack has change to hit multiple enemies on cone-of-fire.

Will there be any overwatch or attack-of-opportunity style mechanics on combat?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Ok, that makes sense.

Have you looked at flipping the X axis, so it presents as miss to crit from L -> R? There’s something very natural, for me at least, to read line charts like that from less to more - generally speaking - as you go from left to right.
Good point, I agree.

Now I have a question for you guys. Weapon range plays a very important role. There are two ranges: effective and maximum. Effective is the range the weapon is designed for, so for example, a homemade shotgun's effective range will be very short. Max range is the farthest you can hit something with this weapon. You lose 10% THC with every tile beyond the effective range, so for example, my THC with the rifle on that second combat screen was 74%, with the pistol only 5% because the pistol had a low range (on account of being crappy), but I didn't have to reload after each shot, which was a huge advantage (revolvers have the highest rate of fire).

Anyway, what's the best way to show the effective and max ranges without going overboard with colors? I was thinking something like a laser sight/beam that appears when you target someone and shows you both ranges.

Do you think there will be any avenues for like "content per run" minmaxing as there were in AoD as a consequence of like skill check gating certain content?
You won't be able to do everything with the same character and there will be many hard to reach areas, mutually exclusive decisions, especially related to factions, specific consequences and such, if that's what you're asking.

I presume that "fanning" -attack has change to hit multiple enemies on cone-of-fire.

Will there be any overwatch or attack-of-opportunity style mechanics on combat?
Yes. Attacks of opportunity with melee weapons similar to what we had in AoD and reaction fire, which has its own stat, feats, and weapon modifiers. You can see it on the last screen.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Vault Dweller Just to be clear, all areas seen in these screenshots are from the combat demo that will be released next year?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom