Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Combat sucks or what? Imma noob lulz!!!

Justaguy45

Literate
Sup?
I've got some stuff and wouldn't mind some opinions from "experts"...

I start to play with assassin background 'cause I'm a nice guy...
Ha-ha.
Trader shot, merc owned in plain text.
So far so good, yes?
So I guessed!
But alas sometimes you can't just pawn guys during scripts!
Well, could have but I wanted to try a fight. 'Cause you know I'm a nice guy!
Choose to get into one with a loremaster, I figured they are not paladins from WoW.

Characters got level 5 88 dagger rate, 95% chance to hit with aimed arms strike against the guy and CASSIUS dodged.
Yes, you read that right.
My grandma could slice his arm and she's dead!
Then I went with a flurry to soften his intestines to witness the iron dagger doing zero damage against a clothed guy.
WTF?

Let's start again! 'Cause I'm not playing this sucker.

Level 6 98 rating crossbow skill assassin standing literally one tile away from a bandit is still a f**king game of chance...
How could you possibly miss that shot? Let alone as a murderer for living meaning killing people is your trade. Supposedly. At least you can't die starving 'cause you're dead! Good f**king riddance...

So just keep reloading all the time because of STRATEGY, right!
I almost forgot or must be an idiot of course to get it wrong because with 74% chance to hit it's the exact opposite and my character hits once out of four shots.

True story bros.

So... Is there a luck thing I missed during character creations?
Because it is NOT funny.
At all.

Merchant time!
Got through a lot more shite with tons of skillpoints and gold without ever needing to fight.
Yeah, I'm smart.
Good for me or what?

Let's sum this up!
So you can't win every fight all the time.
Fine!
Can you screw everyone over all the time?
'Cause my guess is you would be killed in your sleep if need be. If you can find any after a game like this!
Though my bet is, some nice guy would make sure you suffer a LOT once they get to know you're a weasel.

So you either try a tard who can win a brawl if you're luck is on or be a smartass.
To end up searching for lost "alien magic"-al artifacts and to uncover some history, so regardless of your skills and talent you'll be running errands like a twat. And must invest in crafting and lore a whole lot. Good thing persuasion, trading, streetwise and etiquette are also topped at 7 at the moment.
Yes, each of those.
With a merchant after leaving Maadoran.
Also got into crafting and lore. 'Cause you know you can play however you want...
But you are kind of made to play how you do not.
Necessity knows no laws.
Figures...

So question:
What the Hell is balance?
Is there a chance you've heard of that? Pun intended.

I'd love to hear your specific definition of balance and to know where the said balance is set!

Tigranes

Arcane
95% Hit Chance still means you can sometimes miss. You might even miss a hundred times in a row, if you're unlucky.

But if you didn't ragequit, you would have killed Cassius easily within 2 minutes. And maybe learn more about how the combat works. (Maybe if you flurry'd more than once or twice, you'd see how it works, too. I.e. how it kills him.)

You can avoid combat most of the time. Not sure if all the time is possible with merchant.
Obviously, if you know that a specific, minor sidequest could only end in combat... only an idiot talker-merchant would walk into a dark alley and insist that the armed thugs surrounding him give him all their money. When they're letting you leave for free.

Given thousands of people who play the game and don't experience your problem, there's 3 possibilities, right?
(1) You are truly cursed by all the gods,
(2) Everyone else reloads 800 times to beat each fight, and just didn't tell you,
(3) You must be doing something wrong.

Absinthe

Arcane
He has 5 strength and used a Flurry attack on Cassius. A Flurry attack is the weakest attack in the game (it's a fast attack at -1 damage) to compensate for the high amount of attacks and he has a damage penalty from strength. The result is that he mostly hits for 1 damage which is blocked by DR1 Loremaster Robes, the same robes as his own character. He's got nothing to blame except his own inattentiveness, because you can deduce all that from mousing over your stats, flurry, and Loremaster's Robes. You can also pay attention to the combat log. It tells you what DR does.

If he used Power Attacks he would've killed Cassius quickly enough. The Aimed Strike failing was just bad luck.

Also getting 5 dagger skill on what is clearly a non-combat character is a waste of skill points. Remember that you can adjust your starting stats. If you want to make a fighting type, give him the stats and skills appropriate for it.

Shin

Cipher
Another method that can be 95 per cent and 100% of the time very good (A) CRPG, which often require skilled net simulation game to play because of bone that should be their role in the war. In this article you will find a peaceful businessman with a lot of playing time. Despite the confusion and did not know what was wrong grammar build your business. The only thing I do not understand, I think, because of the decline may not be the best game for you Destructoid and give your feedback.

Players can be due. "The deterioration of the deal But it has several options for the design of the main players in the choice of the most valuable item is a separate issue, RPG, an illusion of choice, but also the truth. But how they grow older, it is reduced to be back. ".

If not, what attracts you may not be for you. It was a dream of mine since I combatfag AOD least know that this is not a game. But still very good. You grew up at the same time.

Perhaps you feel, so I can throw it to you with online translation services.

Justaguy45

Literate
Play Pillars of Eternity, maybe I will.

Dafuq femshep?

Random is not what I call balance.

So as I figured out it's not about tactics but pure luck.
Chosen attack types supposedly affecting your chance to bust balls from gentle stroking to deepthroating.

Hang with me bro but I still wasted him no worries.
Use flurry more often?
Hands down the most useless thing there is because there are not unarmored guys you will fight.
Then when you do it to try it out still eats up damage in clothing.
Sounds real enough does it?

Avoid combat with assassin? You'll need more than luck to do that kind of shite!

Trying to slice up a clothed guy with an iron knife at 95% THC is my bad and it's saddening.

I'm old enough, you perv!

Ah, Yellowteeth again!
And like that I guess Pillars of Eternity must suck as well. Thanks for the tip funny matey!

It was a 6 str assa char, Mr. Prejudger.
Btw checked out the loremaster robe and it does have got 1 damage reduction with 0 hardness.
So butter is armour since when?
Ah, balance!
It's clothing ffs!

It still was an assassin.
How is that a non combat character?
You're not helping.

Does comprehension ring a bell kid?
Now go ahead and tell me how I did all wrong...

Another smut talking forum champion... Can't see those ANYWHERE!

Shame on me!

Still none of the MCs seem to answer the question concerning the balance you are on about all the time...
So I'm LMAO.
Mad, bros?

Absinthe

Arcane
First off, stop abusing the Enter key. Now, flurry picks up in value when you have heavier hitting daggers. There are a few ways to boost dagger damage:

1) More strength
2) Better material (Iron, Steel, Blue Steel, Meteor Ore)
3) Berserker potions from alchemy
4) Crafting whetstones

If you go crazy and max out, you can even have a pugio dagger flurry for over 30 damage per hit (without critting) at the end of the game. But that requires stacking every single possible bonus to dagger damage in the game. The real strength of a dagger flurry is when you use whetstones and superior ore to make an extremely powerful flurry. With the right build, a single flurry will kill. Incidentally you can get 1 pound of blue steel (enough for a fast dagger) at the start of the game just by letting Cassius talk himself out of getting killed at the abandoned house. Still requires 8 crafting to make, but it will make a very strong dagger when you put whetstones to it, and Cassius will give you steel too. Anyway, if flurry doesn't work for you, then don't flurry. You have more options than that.

There are a couple of things you can do with your 6 str daggers to kill people better:
1) Use aimed strikes (arterial and torso do the most damage, but others can be better at softening up your opponent). This can be used either for more damage (critting arterial strikes is best), or to kill with stat damage from crits. If your crit sucks, use aimed strikes to the torso or power attacks. The dagger's specialty is crit+aimed strikes, really.
2) Use a bigger dagger. The 4AP daggers do more damage.
3) Use a poison. This just requires you to hit somebody and have a strong poison, but it plays more to a hit and run style if you want to use them as your primary source of damage.

Generally for builds that have bad strength, I would recommend using crossbows as your weapon of choice since they hit hard and don't care about strength, etc. for damage. If you want a simple build to kill shit easily I would probably recommend a 8 str / 8 dex / 8 con / 8 perception stat distribution. Assassins don't really need int or charisma.

Last edited:

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
What question about "balance", you retard? AoD is a very well balanced game, you just happen to suck at it.

He has 5 strength and used a Flurry attack on Cassius. A Flurry attack is the weakest attack in the game (it's a fast attack at -1 damage) to compensate for the high amount of attacks and he has a damage penalty from strength. The result is that he mostly hits for 1 damage which is blocked by DR1 Loremaster Robes, the same robes as his own character. He's got nothing to blame except his own inattentiveness, because you can deduce all that from mousing over your stats, flurry, and Loremaster's Robes. You can also pay attention to the combat log. It tells you what DR does.

If he used Power Attacks he would've killed Cassius quickly enough. The Aimed Strike failing was just bad luck.

Also getting 5 dagger skill on what is clearly a non-combat character is a waste of skill points. Remember that you can adjust your starting stats. If you want to make a fighting type, give him the stats and skills appropriate for it.

Read this.

Now read it again.

This guy already answered your "question". He bothered to explain in terms even your teenager brain can understand. If you still can't see what you're doing wrong, then I suggest you go play Dragon Age Inquisition. That game is right up your alley. :smug:

So as I figured out it's not about tactics but pure luck.
"Pure bad luck" is what happened to us when you decided to register an account here...

Use flurry more often?
Hands down the most useless thing there is because there are not unarmored guys you will fight.
Flurry is devastating if you have either high STR to punch through enemy armor OR high CS to ignore it completely. You'd know that if you bothered to learn the game. :obviously:

It was a 6 str assa char, Mr. Prejudger.
Btw checked out the loremaster robe and it does have got 1 damage reduction with 0 hardness.
So butter is armour since when?
Ah, balance!
It's clothing ffs!
Reading is teh hard, huh? 1 DR 0 hardness means the armor will reduce 1 damage, but will probably get dented (reduced DR to 0) really fast. Read the descriptions. :roll:

It still was an assassin.
How is that a non combat character?
Rule of thumb: if your starting combat SP is less than 45, you're not REALLY a combat character. Background doesn't dictate how good you are in a fight, stats do. Something you'd know if you ever bothered to read the tooltips.

You're not helping.
You're beyond help. You're a walking argument for abortion. :smug:

Does comprehension ring a bell kid?
Now go ahead and tell me how I did all wrong...
You're clearly talking about yourself here. We told you many times, you just happen to be a dense motherfucker.

Still none of the MCs seem to answer the question concerning the balance you are on about all the time...
So I'm LMAO.
Mad, bros?

"Umadbro?". If there was ever a 100% reliable way of telling that another poster is a kid, it's this sentence (and it's variants). :stupid:

Justaguy45

Literate
Absinthe:
So the balanced realistic combat thing is about stacking stats so you get to pawn regardless of your course of action. So much about the tactics strategy bullshit. It's called a glich. A bug you use to cheat. If they intended to implement it this way, great! But the game is still not about tactics or strategy.

Eyestabber:
Yeah, right get at me like you are the big bad guy of the forum to work out your butthurt from last night!

That guy thought I was playing with a loremaster.
Why would he even do that!?
Then tries hard to explain how 1 DR equals 0 damage from an iron dagger's flurry attacks. Turns out missing the aimed arms is bad luck so it's f**king random as I figured.
And now you're getting personal because why not right? You're full of reasons obviously. Mad bro? Trolololol!

The question about balance is clearing up per chance because there is no such thing in this program.

Invest to stack stats that are used to calculate the outcome so you get to work the odds to your favour to boost your CHANCE. Which was 95%, the highest I got is 97 Except if somebody hit the dirt in which case it is one hundred percent.
So how is it balanced Sir Godman?
There are situations you can't get in or out or through or the way you would like to with a character you would like to play. So you get to reload or start completely again. And you people are calling it balance? Not saying you could wipe out a legion with a loremaster which might happen because you may have some bombs and things up your sleeves. Sounds real isn't it? Now get down your knees and awe balance!

Whatever you call tactics and or strategy comes down to luck not balance in this game of chance.
Comprende?
This much even I have learned, yes.

Another question:
Other clothes do not have any DR. Why would that? Just asking cuz I'm dum!

Thumb rule, yay!
6 10 6 10 4 4
Is how not a combat character mate?
Oh, wait! You did not know that... But your assumption is it must be my bad and I sucketh. Now make up shit and throw it at me trying to hit me, playing games you fancy... That is just the adult thing to do, right?
Riiight?

Now I know you already got mad at me but saying a fast and dead on murderer failing to do any damage to a bookworm is realistic?
Please explain this! Cause I'm an idiot obviously who can't understand shit.

PS: You must be very smart to post all these emoticons!
And it totally worked, I am so ashamed now!

Justaguy45

Literate
Trying shield user atm. They say it sucks but they must be doing something wrong...
So I stack DR and blocking and pawn literally everybody. Funny moment is when my character takes 0 damage yet gets poisoned.
Question:
If they can't even raze you how do they poison you with the strike?
Just curious guys...

Tigranes

Arcane
OK, there comes a time when trying to figure out what the incoherent guy is saying is not worth your time. Bai

Justaguy45

Literate
OK, there comes a time when trying to figure out what the incoherent guy is saying is not worth your time. Bai

Stick with me!
Game's got issues some people don't seem to comprehend because they like it.

Some issues concerning said "balance":

Even if you would play with 4 strength which is the minimum there is in the game top being 10, so you're physically weaker than average. What you're saying is if you get stabbed 3 times in the chest wearing clothes you won't get hurt because the guy is weaker than average? (Btw that character's still got 6 STR.)
Does this sound like balance?
Because as I figure and guess if you are fast you got the upper hand (You get a few more APs, big deal. More important is you get to start the business too bad you can't finish it in 1 turn.) and perception would be knowing your opponents weakness to tear that guy apart using speed and ability to hit where it hurts because you're supposedly agile.
But it's not about making "tactical choices" to hit where it hurts and so engineer chances, but to hurt wherever you hit.
As I said I looked at a warrior guy and as it turns out if brute force does not solve your problem you're problem is you're not using enough!
Heavy armour, shield and axe simple fast attacks chewing through everything, got 30+ kills before I got to Maadoran. Only used a single reload because my comrades got owned in the throne room for the first time. Nothing I could do about that one... My bad!
Because the game is so difficult, all about balance and tactics and strategy and... No, it's plain fucking simple! You're trying to sell shit that don't exist.
What you recommend for an assassin is to be a warrior. Grow muscles wield rea' 'uge knives and voila you've won!

Dodging arrows and crossbow bolts from a feet away and even melee range from behind now that's realistic!

Forgot about strategy and tactics it only hurts your mediocre chance to hit.

Btw the bandits who want ransom fire arrows through the palaside, sounds real and all right?
Not to worry, they got blocked and the ones that did not did no harm at all because my guy had armour. Tactics... RIGHT!
I've got to write me down!

Last edited:

Justaguy45

Literate
Another thingy. Apparently I am ugly and retarded as a result of inbreeding so I had some trouble finding the map guy. Domitius something. So yeah I ran through the entire city checking buildings and npcs. Because there was nowhere any hint concerning his whereabouts.
Maadoran...
No shit, Sherlock?
Well I did find him.
Sate my curiosity please! How are you supposed to find him?
Like a boss?

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
Funny moment is when my character takes 0 damage yet gets poisoned.
Question:
If they can't even raze you how do they poison you with the strike?
Just curious guys...

Funny thing, the poison bug has been patched several weeks ago. If you just started playing when you said you did, Steam/GoG would have already applied the patch and you wouldn't even know about this particular bug...

Buying the game should solve this terrible issue you're having. :martini:

Justaguy45

Literate
1.0.85 version
I had it about a month (?) ago unlike time to try it out.
So about the tactics/strategy thingy, you still haven't answered the question.
Or anything really...
Still trying to feed your ego instead.
Very helpful and adult-like behavior I see.

Poison can't be applied without damage anymore, so just patch the game.

This topic will answer most of your questions, I'm sure: http://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/how-not-to-suck-at-combat.104362/

Even if you would play with 4 strength which is the minimum there is in the game top being 10, so you're physically weaker than average. What you're saying is if you get stabbed 3 times in the chest wearing clothes you won't get hurt because the guy is weaker than average? (Btw that character's still got 6 STR.)

You must be doing something wrong if you are failing to damage Cassius. He has the grand DR of 1, I think he's killable without a single point in any combat skills. He's the weakest opponent in the game. Are you using dagger flurry? Try using fast attack instead.

What you recommend for an assassin is to be a warrior. Grow muscles wield rea' 'uge knives and voila you've won!

Assassins can do well by using Daggers + Critical Strike and proper aiming at bodyparts. Aim at legs to increase to-hit change, arms to decrease their chance to hit, torso to fuck up the armor, head for lots of damage and accuracy penalty and arterial strikes to bleed them like pigs. Its pretty much the quitessential Assassin build. I would show you a video of Eyestabber doing the nearly impossible with it, but its spoiler-tastic.

Justaguy45

Literate
And hey somebody is actually trying to help... Much appreciated!
Sadly it is not needed by now.
Funny thing how they got butthurted so easily, virgins... Here's some facts for your entertainment:

If you do not luck it out you end up dead.

Random chance has nothing to do with tactics or strategy. Even though you can stack and yes choose attacks that will help your chance to hit or defend and so achieve success. Also there are other options like feint, poison, bleeding, running or do some ranged things or alchemy, meaning you are not much of an assassin just a cornered dog trying to make it out alive.

Point is if you can become overpowered so easily (As I said I nailed everything there is with 5 crafting upgraded heavy armoured shield and axe user legionaire using merely fast attacks because of the THC...) or at all, there are issues with the mechanics of the fighting system. Period.
So sure you could bile up stats to turn the odds to your favour better which is more "difficult" as an assassin because you lack armour, and in the beginning you cannot dodge all kind of shit or score critical hits so you end up being killed over and over again until you luck it out per chance.

Strategy? Nope. Patience.

Anyway you may end up playing merely for the story because the combat is crude and boring. There is no action to it, it's all the same all the time.
If the story gets more interesting after Maadoran (I got through that with merchant, legionnaire and yes even assassin...) they might as well did a novel of it and spare us all the bullshit.

PS: That Cassius guy is funny he even bent my legionnaire's shield. Though luck on me! Long live strategy!

What sort of character are you playing? Pure combat assassin?
Being a assassin does not constrain you to a single weapon, you know, through dagger/cs seems to be the most supported build.

Game dificulty is more or less:

Easy-peasy: Pure-Talker
Medium Dificulty: Pure combat (Mercenary IG is best for this)
Hard Dificulty: Hybrid, Pure Combat without Crafting/Alchemy
Ultra-Hard: Hybrid without Crafting/Alchemy

With my merc hoplite imperial guard I was winning most fights with minimal effort by Ganezaar. Only hard fights from Gaanezar beyond were at Al-Akria, Windowmaker (beat him with 2 HP to spare), Zamedi, and entering the sieged Ganezaar through the front door.

Cadmus

Arcane
Why do you come here to shit on a game we like without offering any reasonable and well-thought out arguments? What do you expect? For us to tell you you're right when you clearly have no idea how the game works? If you want people to be helpful, maybe start a bit differently. My guess is you're an alt no.45 of some retarded shitposter.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
Now that I finished my Ironman combat playthrough I can finally say, with 100% certainty, that OP is a retarded moron and his "points" are wrong. :smug:

Justaguy45

Literate
Why do you come here to shit on a game we like without offering any reasonable and well-thought out arguments?

'Cuz I'm wicked. And your game sucks.

What do you expect? For us to tell you you're right when you clearly have no idea how the game works?

If you read my posts you may know I know how this game of yours work.

Anyway here is my "argument", again.

Random does not equal tactics nor strategy.

Thought maybe you can make it matter. After all who if not the "arcane" know how to play this game? But if you need asking how do you play a text based game, mate? Or why do you begin messing with me if you haven't even read what I posted before this. Please keep ignoring me and just judge me!

If you want people to be helpful, maybe start a bit differently.

I'm not expecting tea and biscuits. My game got dyked and I came here and asked if I did something wrong or it sucks because the nature of whores. I concluded the latter based on the fact you still keep bitching and moaning.

My guess is you're an alt no.45 of some retarded shitposter.

Oh, you know everything about me! Huh, no. I'm nothing you could have ever seen before.

But I see you must be the guy who crawls out from the others' backsides to act though after the deed is suspected to be finished. I'm about to begin so cover your eyes and ears, whimp! Because things are ought to get ugly and I'd hate to hurt your, feelings...

Now that I finished my Ironman combat playthrough I can finally say, with 100% certainty, that OP is a retarded moron and his "points" are wrong. :smug:

Yeah my bad I'm a dumbass. You got me again! *claps*
Yay! Thanks! Finally I can get my sleep, I needed it.
Still funny though when a supposedly cold blooded murderer fails to land a hit on a lame nobody standing right before him so even a blind near dead grandma would bump into him. Then miss again in the next turn. Or dodge arrows from two meters. Because reality matters!
Thanks to the RNG system this game takes so much tactics and shit! Yes, you can even choose actions that got even less chance to hit!!! Can't wait to try it!

You truly are a demi-god with more than sufficient amount of time to waste on sh!t like this.
You are hardcore.
At a game that sucks.

And so the retarded moron's wrong point keep haunting:

SPOILER ALERT!!!!44!four
asd

RNG stands for what is called a Random Number Generator. That is, because it is f**king RANDOM.
So obviously all my points are completely wrong.
Period.
And the players choices determine the outcome of fights and whatnot. Not just random like the name of the program it is based on says because of how it works, yes?

Thanks for answering a mortal! Sadly I'm not nerd enough to sweat blood on a game as a player I aim to "enjoy" without sacrificing my sanity on The Altar of I Must Get This Done Because I Got Nothing In My Life That Matter Anyhow.

P.S.:
Please tell me how I'm wrong and the obvious idiot, because anybody most certainly can pick up all the aces in the desired order from a random pack of cards because they are part of the deck. Really, Eyestabber?
REALLY?
TELL ME!

I know I just got to keep trying harder.
And you keep telling me!
Please!
Because you are so damn right.
Tell me now!
Come on!
Don't give up!
You are the master of random.
And I'm just a guy.
Tell me I'm wrong!
Guess I made my point.
And it's so wrong.
Right?
I also hate that I'm always right.
No, you're not that guy.
Just keep playing hard!
'Cause you've got no idea who you're messing with.
I'm a player.
And you done goofed, snitch.

Last edited:

deranged

Cipher
Random does not equal tactics nor strategy.

That's a false statement. Or to be more accurate, you express an entirely subjective opinion as a matter of fact. Most combat systems introduce some type of randomness (from D&D to dice-based tabletop war simulations) and more often than not are pretty tactical.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom