Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Command & Conquer Remastered Collection from Petroglyph

Quatlo

Arcane
Also, how does the music sound?

It's great. Some of the re-recorded tracks are better than the originals IMO (No Mercy, Mechanical Man)

The cursor changes shape and colour. The units behave like with normal move order.

It's actually some super-weirdo attack-move command.
From what I remember from original manual its some kind of "guard move" where you could use it to - for example click on your harvester and your units would follow it and defend it - you can see AI doing it in red alert in skirmish a lot.

In Red Alert you can also use waypoints (Q) to make your tanks fire on the move.

Erikkolai

Learned
Also, how does the music sound?

It's great. Some of the re-recorded tracks are better than the originals IMO (No Mercy, Mechanical Man)

The cursor changes shape and colour. The units behave like with normal move order.

It's actually some super-weirdo attack-move command.

It was apparently a late addition a few weeks before launch:

// MBL 05.15.2020 - Adding support for CTRL+ALT clicking the ground to have units move to an area and guard it
case ACTION_GUARD_AREA:
if (Can_Player_Fire() && Can_Player_Move()) {
Player_Assign_Mission(MISSION_GUARD_AREA, ::As_Target(cell));
}
break;
// END MBL 05.15.2020

Source: \Steam\steamapps\common\CnCRemastered\SOURCECODE\TIBERIANDAWN\FOOT.CPP

Dayyālu

Arcane
Tiberian Sun is a failed experiment without a doubt, they wasted a shitton of time in stuff that simply didn't work out (terrain effects, geo effects). I dimly remember some postmortem about it and even the contemporary reviews weren't that hot.

If they had the time and skills to finish it, it would have been a great addition to the series. IMHO, people remember it because the setting was well-built and the FMVs engaging: it's not even particularly good from a SP campaign point of view. Kane pardon me, but there's a good deal of nostalgia in Tiberian Sun. There's also for me, I won't hide it.

Gameplay and SP-design wise, RA3 and C&C3 are essentially superior because they're finished games with a more limited scope. Despite the RA3 tone being frankly pure shlock.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Tiberian Sun is a failed experiment without a doubt, they wasted a shitton of time in stuff that simply didn't work out (terrain effects, geo effects). I dimly remember some postmortem about it and even the contemporary reviews weren't that hot.

If they had the time and skills to finish it, it would have been a great addition to the series. IMHO, people remember it because the setting was well-built and the FMVs engaging: it's not even particularly good from a SP campaign point of view. Kane pardon me, but there's a good deal of nostalgia in Tiberian Sun. There's also for me, I won't hide it.

Gameplay and SP-design wise, RA3 and C&C3 are essentially superior because they're finished games with a more limited scope. Despite the RA3 tone being frankly pure shlock.
:lol:

:badnews:

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
So, Covert Ops. Never had the pleasure before. Bretty gud stuff, at least the Nod ones. Loving the tricky ones with besieged bases or trapped MCV. GDI will have to wait for another day - will be checking out the Nod Console Missions first.

Dayyālu

Arcane

You're welcome.

Have you played MP/SP in RA3, C&C3, RA2 and C&C TibSun? If you have, I am legit curious how you can defend TibSun. We're talking about a game that came out later than Starcraft or Total Annihilation: and it's essentially inferior to both. But we're not talking about other RTS franchises, and I'm not asking this disingenuously: describe in your words how Tiberian Sun is superior to its direct second-gen competitor (Red Alert 2) and how it's superior in gameplay and mission design to C&C3 and RA3. I'm not asking about ambience and tone (it wins, unarguably, as RA3 is shlock and C&C3 is mediocre).

I'm honestly asking to defend your position: I can easily remember the problems of both C&C3 and RA3, but they're essentially nice if somewhat barebones RTS, and in particular RA3's expansion never went down well to me. I won't include Generals (unarguably the most successful MP C&C of "pseudo contemporary" times or the Dune series, because they're too different).

Explain in your words why Tiberian Sun is superior to RA2 , to RA3 and to C&C3. I'll be waiting.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire

You're welcome.

Have you played MP/SP in RA3, C&C3, RA2 and C&C TibSun? If you have, I am legit curious how you can defend TibSun. We're talking about a game that came out later than Starcraft or Total Annihilation: and it's essentially inferior to both. But we're not talking about other RTS franchises, and I'm not asking this disingenuously: describe in your words how Tiberian Sun is superior to its direct second-gen competitor (Red Alert 2) and how it's superior in gameplay and mission design to C&C3 and RA3. I'm not asking about ambience and tone (it wins, unarguably, as RA3 is shlock and C&C3 is mediocre).

I'm honestly asking to defend your position: I can easily remember the problems of both C&C3 and RA3, but they're essentially nice if somewhat barebones RTS, and in particular RA3's expansion never went down well to me. I won't include Generals (unarguably the most successful MP C&C of "pseudo contemporary" times or the Dune series, because they're too different).

Explain in your words why Tiberian Sun is superior to RA2 , to RA3 and to C&C3. I'll be waiting.
I wouldn't say it's superior to RA2, but RA3 is shit and only worthwhile for Tim Curry cheese.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
So, Covert Ops. Never had the pleasure before. Bretty gud stuff, at least the Nod ones. Loving the tricky ones with besieged bases or trapped MCV. GDI will have to wait for another day - will be checking out the Nod Console Missions first.
Seriously, I am stuck at some of those missions (in medium difficulty). Some are insane.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

You're welcome.

I wouldn't say it's superior to RA2, but RA3 is shit and only worthwhile for Tim Curry cheese.

True, but this is a matter of ambience and tone, not of gameplay and mission design. Though personally I find every unit having a gimmicky special move to be poor gameplay design.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Seriously, I am stuck at some of those missions (in medium difficulty). Some are insane.

Engineers capturing buildings are your friends. Won't aggro enemy units. Also, sandbag cheese is teh tasty.

ValeVelKal

Arcane

Engineers capturing buildings are your friends. Won't aggro enemy units. Also, sandbag cheese is teh tasty.
I am not mentioning the current console ones (easier than base game) but the Expansion ones. The second or third GDI one where you have a de facto timer for instance before a nuke ends your base (or at least the main construction yard you cannot rebuild) is particularly brutal.

ArchAngel

Arcane

I am not mentioning the current console ones (easier than base game) but the Expansion ones. The second or third GDI one where you have a de facto timer for instance before a nuke ends your base (or at least the main construction yard you cannot rebuild) is particularly brutal.
When playing GDI Orcas are you friends in any mission that lets you make them.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

2nd Nod Console Mission is brutal. Waves upon waves upon waves of attackers trying to destroy the GDI base I steal near the start of the mission. Possibly hardest thing up to date.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I'm with Dayyalu here. TibSun wins the atmosphere & aesthetics contest pretty hard when it comes to the C&C series, but gameplay wise it's borderline broken and unfinished.

Also, covert ops are hilarious, except for the ones that are just total bullshit (Deceit). My favourite two are probably Cloak and Dagger (deploy MCV inside enemy base and wreck it from within) and the one whose name I forgot but has your base surrounded on all sides by terrible rape mobs.

After dropping a nuke on one of them, clearing it out and realising that wiping any mob triggers the rest something vicious, on reload I managed to get one of the mammoths into "MUST KRUSH INFANTRY" mode with a bunch of riflemens, who proceeded to take it on a wild run in the south of the map for the next 15 minutes, giving me the time to cap the GDI base, make some obelisks and lure the rest of the rapemobs into them :lol:

And when all that remained was the mammoths and medtanks (they refused to budge), all it took was some concrete, and a bunch of sold buildings to repair it continuously.

202006211336371.jpg

This is how warfare is meant to be waged.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I guess it's as good place to ask as any.

I realized I never played C&C3. It's on sale on steam, but I saw some butthurt about "EA ruining the sp with mp patches", which supposedly has something to do with resources/harvesters, but there was no precise info on what's exactly the problem and how to fix it. Anyone knows?

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Tiberian Sun had an infinitely more interesting premise, atmosphere, worldbuilding and setting than RA2 ever did. Was it badly made? Yes, but it held at lot of promise.

And so would a remaster of this title. There's alot of stuff that could easily make it a great game.

Compared to RA2, which is fucking goofy as fuck, and already feature more "modern" graphics n shit.

I never understood why people gravatate towards Red Alert 2, 3 and so on instead of the C&C tiberium universe.

I mena RA1 was great, but that was also because it was grounded in more reality in terms of ww2 and the cold war. It had cool setting, and good acting, good missions.

RA2 is just janky, goofy shit, that league of legends players like. Especially the graphics are cancer inducing.

REMAKE TIB SUN NAO!

ValeVelKal

Arcane

When playing GDI Orcas are you friends in any mission that lets you make them.
IN this mission, the NOD has literally clusters of SAM sites, and you don't have the time to build many pads before the nuke hits.

But something that I noticede is that in many of those missions, the AI does not start with a full base but build it as it goes, so I suspect you need to play a bit more like you would in multiplayer rather than turtle like crazy.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
I'm with Dayyalu here. TibSun wins the atmosphere & aesthetics contest pretty hard when it comes to the C&C series, but gameplay wise it's borderline broken and unfinished.

Also, covert ops are hilarious, except for the ones that are just total bullshit (Deceit). My favourite two are probably Cloak and Dagger (deploy MCV inside enemy base and wreck it from within) and the one whose name I forgot but has your base surrounded on all sides by terrible rape mobs.

After dropping a nuke on one of them, clearing it out and realising that wiping any mob triggers the rest something vicious, on reload I managed to get one of the mammoths into "MUST KRUSH INFANTRY" mode with a bunch of riflemens, who proceeded to take it on a wild run in the south of the map for the next 15 minutes, giving me the time to cap the GDI base, make some obelisks and lure the rest of the rapemobs into them :lol:

And when all that remained was the mammoths and medtanks (they refused to budge), all it took was some concrete, and a bunch of sold buildings to repair it continuously.

202006211336371.jpg

This is how warfare is meant to be waged.

It took me a while longer, but I managed without selling any main buildings :smug:

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
RA2, which is fucking goofy as fuck

it isnt

Allright.

- The Soviet invasion itself is triggered when a psychic with a head tattoo mindcontrols a soldier through a telephone...
- B-actors with cringy b-acting shit scenes

That's not gameplay, that's tone and atmosphere. I dislike those too.

- MIND CONTROLZ

Taking control of enemy units is a valid gameplay option ever since the Deviator tanks of Dune 2.

- Goofy units with silly abilities and shit

List those silly abilities. I shall wait.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
I guess it's as good place to ask as any.

I realized I never played C&C3. It's on sale on steam, but I saw some butthurt about "EA ruining the sp with mp patches", which supposedly has something to do with resources/harvesters, but there was no precise info on what's exactly the problem and how to fix it. Anyone knows?

Replayed it recently due to the Remaster hype. Didn't notice any game breaking issues.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom