Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Compound Fracture - PS1-style dino survival FPS

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

ss_9d68a6ee5426acac7ccffce6f3ee9a4fa05c5eef.1920x1080.jpg

ss_0154cccdbac1c466c9a633f9170de23571ff9851.1920x1080.jpg

ChronoGas is a global supplier of oil and petroleum products to hundreds of enterprise customers around the world. Pursuant to federal law, they have been scheduled for an unannounced safety inspection.

Compound Fracture is an action survival horror game. Fast reflexes are required to neutralize prehistoric threats waiting around every corner. Set aside your fear, gather your supplies, and get to work.

Features:
  • A refined art style designed after the limitations of early console games.
  • A linear FPS set in the oppressive interiors and overgrown ruins of a prehistoric compound.
  • Distinct enemy types, posing distinct threats.
  • Adapt to the situation with a variety of weapons and upgrades.
  • Disparate areas, each offering unique new challenges.
  • A deliberate soundtrack made to fit the game.

Somewhat peculiar that they boast linearity.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lemming42

Arcane
There was some talk in earlier threads about Boomer Shooters advancing to the Unreal/Half-Life era, having already pretty thoroughly covered the likes of Doom and Build engine stuff. I guess this is a step on the road.

Really hope you can turn the filter off though because it looks horrific. The models do look attractively PS1-era, but I can't fucking see anything because of all the scanlines.

Somewhat peculiar that they boast linearity.

It makes sense that there'll be a swing back towards linear FPS games in the throwback scene eventually, I suppose. Linearity was a strength of some of the first wave of "cinematic" shooters (like the aforementioned Half-Life and Unreal), letting the devs hand-craft the player's experience down to the smallest detail. Though that approach probably works better when there's more of a plot than "dinosaurs in corridors".

JDR13

Arcane
What is the purpose of this? Are there really that many people who want to go back to when 3D graphics made our eyes bleed?

Ash

Arcane
1. Indies are typically low budget, and unable to afford high quality assets and consistency of detail. When the rendering matches the jank elsewhere, true consistency is achieved. If people are also further thrust into a 90s context, they're likely to be more accepting of abstract art in other areas of the game. Nobody cares that doom's weapons have like 3 frames per animation. However try that in a modern, hyper detailed game. they will care.

2. Nostalgia?

3. Art style is more important than graphics.

4. I for one appreciate 90s 3D rendering limitations in some contexts. Take silent Hill for example: Texture warping adds to the surreality. Limited draw distance enforces a very oppressive atmosphere and gameplay scenario. there are other such examples, like for example visual language (reading the room), or simplicity in graphics allows for absolute focus on gameplay.

JDR13 said:
Are there really that many people who want to go back to when 3D graphics made our eyes bleed?

Fuck yes. They were actually games, with good gameplay (not that I expect the resident decline dunce to understand). Creative freedom. Soundtracks were allowed, not ambient noise. Not cut up into microtrasactions and so on. the 3D graphics were primitive, but only a total faggot such as yourself places much importance in that.

Maybe you're not stupid, but rather your name is stating your age and therefore you simply don't understand why today's games typically suck ass.

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane
Fuck yes. They were actually games, with good gameplay (not that I expect the resident decline dunce to understand). Creative freedom. Soundtracks were allowed, not ambient noise. Not cut up into microtrasactions and so on. the 3D graphics were primitive, but only a total faggot such as yourself places much importance in that.

So to have good gameplay we have to have shit graphics?

Only a complete fucking idiot would think what I said had anything to do with gameplay, soundtracks, etc.

Ash

Arcane

So to have good gameplay we have to have shit graphics?

If low budget, yes. the more time, attention and money graphics demands, that's less that could go to other aspects of design. this can only be offset with larger team size and very good management of said team. Yet the higher the budget, the more pressure there is to sell out and make dumb gameplay so that anyone can play it. This is the modern game development paradox. Too bad most gamers don't give a fuck about gameplay for numerous dumb reasons, and most development studios like money more than integrity.

Only a complete fucking idiot would think what I said had anything to do with gameplay, soundtracks, etc.

Yes, of course the context strongly implies you mean in a purely graphical sense, nonetheless this is not what you literally wrote so I took advantage of that and saw it as an opportunity to mock you and the shitty modern games you love.

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane
If low budget, yes.

Guess again. I can give you plenty of examples of low budget games that don't have shit graphics.

Yes, of course the context implies you mean in a purely graphical sense, nonetheless this is not what you literally wrote so I took advantage of that and saw it as an opportunity to mock you and the shitty modern games you love.

Translation = "I'm a dumb angry boomer trying to hang on to those glory days."

"Get off my lawn!"

Ash

Arcane
You're confusing graphics with art style, dummy. there is not a single low budget indie game that matches modern 3D graphical capabilities. There are many that look great thanks to good art direction though, and understanding the limitations. Most will be either 2D or very limited in overall scope (not a big game like, say, Witcher 3 is, but rather the complete opposite; something very small).

Ash

Arcane
all AAA games look the same these days as a result of the gay rush to achieve hyper realism. they're only set apart by their settings and minor subtleties now. Not a big deal really and there is much merit in photorealism sometimes, there are far worse issues with modern gaming/this is the least of my concerns, but a true statement nonetheless and I miss that old variety, even if it was at times not so pleasing to the eye. Imagination filled in the gaps to some extent anyway.

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane
You're confusing graphics with art style, dummy. there is not a single low budget indie game that matches modern 3D graphical capabilities. There are many that look great thanks to good art direction though, and understanding the limitations. Most will be either 2D or very limited in overall scope (not a big game like, say, Witcher 3 is, but rather the complete opposite; something very small).

Awe...look. Now we're going to backpeddle and pretend I was talking about something else.

I said shit graphics and you said low-budget. That's the bottom line, Boomer.

Curratum

I was following those guys on Twitter last summer, before I deleted my account. It seemed like a pretty good idea and implementation. Glad to see it making its way on Steam!

fork

Awe...look. Now we're going to backpeddle and pretend I was talking about something else.

If you reread the conversation in this thread (or any of your posts really), don't you realise how retarded you are, and feel some kind of shame?

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
it looks interesting and very atmospheric.

Probably the first time im saying that for any of these retro projects.

JDR13

Arcane

If you reread the conversation in this thread (or any of your posts really), don't you realise how retarded you are, and feel some kind of shame?

You're not even good at projecting.

fork

So you don't, thought so.
I do sometimes, but then I read any of your posts and am instantly relieved.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ash

Arcane
"Get off my lawn!"

Please consider doing so. This is the one place that exists to bash the popamole and decline. Why do you insist on shitting it up with all your Halo, Batman, Bioshock, Metro, Mass Effect, Shadow of Mordor etc-worshipping posts? Don't you know those set or followed a very low bar for game design in their respective genres? Sure they may have some merit but it's certainly not in singleplayer gameplay.

I respect your right to enjoy the decline, but this is supposed to be the place to shit on it for those that actually gamed hard back in the day (and still do), and yet you get all butthurt every time I do just that. It literally says "doesn't scale to your level" in the subtitle here. I don't want this place to become full of modern gamers unaware of gaming history like all the rest of the sites on the web. Even among the old school crowd here there is further splits in ideologies and standards as a a result of people that game primarily for the story (lol), or gamed just occasionally, or only play games belonging to one platform and therefore miss way more than half of the context of what gaming actually was about.
Currently some 50% of the threads in general gaming are dedicated to what objectively falls under the codex definition of decline, it's a weird paradox how casual General Gaming is. This game is hardly a paragon of massive incline, hard to tell if it will be any good at all as it is early days, but the hope is that at least it will not be another brainless awesome button AAA experience. Because of shit graphics there is basically little choice for the developer but to make good gameplay (or good story for those damn storyfaggots) if they want to be successful.

JDR13

Arcane
"Get off my lawn!"

Please consider doing so. This is the one place that exists to bash the popamole and decline. Why do you insist on shitting it up with all your Halo, Batman, Bioshock, Metro, Mass Effect, Shadow of Mordor etc-worshipping posts? Don't you know those set or followed a very low bar for game design in their respective genres? Sure they may have some merit but it's certainly not in singleplayer gameplay.

I respect your right to enjoy the decline, but this is supposed to be the place to shit on it for those that actually gamed hard back in the day (and still do), and yet you get all butthurt every time I do just that. It literally says "doesn't scale to your level" in the subtitle here. I don't want this place to become full of modern gamers unaware of gaming history like all the rest of the sites on the web. Even among the old school crowd here there is further splits in ideologies and standards as a a result of people that game primarily for the story (lol), or gamed just occasionally, or only play games belonging to one platform and therefore miss way more than half of the context of what gaming actually was about.
Currently some 50% of the threads in general gaming are dedicated to what objectively falls under the codex definition of decline, it's a weird paradox how casual General Gaming is. This game is hardly a paragon of massive incline, hard to tell if it will be any good at all as it is early days, but the hope is that at least it will not be another brainless awesome button AAA experience. Because of shit graphics there is basically little choice for the developer but to make good gameplay (or good story for those damn storyfaggots) if they want to be successful.

I'm sorry I triggered you, Grandpa. I really should try to respect my elders more.

Ash

Arcane
You joined in 2006, right as the decline was becoming abundantly apparent/widespread with perhaps the worst generation of them all, so I honestly don't know what your excuse is. You're perhaps older than me.

lightbane

Arcane
This one looks like Alien FPS for the PS1. While indie devs getting fixated on fake PS1 graphics is bad, it's much better than fake pixel art style. Perhaps in a few years we'll advance to N64-style graphics, then eventually PS2 graphics for indie games.

Curratum

This one looks like Alien FPS for the PS1. While indie devs getting fixated on fake PS1 graphics is bad, it's much better than fake pixel art style. Perhaps in a few years we'll advance to N64-style graphics, then eventually PS2 graphics for indie games.

The devs got some pretty in-depth posts on their twitter, explaining that it's not really even fake ps1 gfx, they're doing a lot to emulate how the ps1 hardware renders stuff with their engine.

Ash

Arcane
PSX has a small selection of FPS that are arguably even to date worthwhile on the system, and were also not PC ports. These are Disruptor, Alien Trilogy (NOT Resurrection) and Powerslave. The latter two received PC versions, but Disruptor is lost to time. None of these games are anything notably special, but they're significantly better than most of any FPS released from the mid 2000s onwards, so therefore a FPS enthusiast running out of options for new professional experiences may want to check them out.

It is for sure unusual that the PSX of all things is what is being emulated here though as of course the PC is where the best FPS were to be found, and in the console field the N64 had much more significant exclusive shooters with the Turok games, Doom 64, and Zero Hour which hold up to PC standards in all the things that matter (gameplay), unlike the PSX exclusive games which lagged a little behind every single truly good PC FPS. Whatever the case today this is a unique look and it doesn't look unappealing to me just like it didn't back in the 90s. Hopeful the game itself can turn out good...that is of course what is actually important.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom