Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Conception: Please Have My Babies coming to the West

Repressed Homosexual
Thanks for the thread. I'm interested since it looks like it has good gameplay mechanics hidden beneath its weird premise.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
on an unrelated note I just imagined a game where you run a general hospital for injured monsters, also japanese

wards divided into humanoids, giants, reptiles, undead, elementals, etc

all the nurses are witches and succubi of course, and one of them will be a very sarcastic dark elf surgeon who hides a heart of gold underneath his arrogant and sadistic exterior

american-based japanese doujin developers feel free to kickstart a project like this

Luzur

Good Sir
on an unrelated note I just imagined a game where you run a general hospital for injured monsters, also japanese

wards divided into humanoids, giants, reptiles, undead, elementals, etc

all the nurses are witches and succubi of course, and one of them will be a very sarcastic dark elf surgeon who hides a heart of gold underneath his arrogant and sadistic exterior

american-based japanese doujin developers feel free to kickstart a project like this

dont forget the ditzy, big-tittied, skimpy-clothed nurse/player's childhood friend/sister, who always ends up with her panties ripped off and/or flashing the others

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane
Why don't more games like these make it to the Western market? This has got some serious untapped potential.

Teepo

Scholar
Having sex with a nerdy bespectacled treasurer to learn how to project a Biblical king out of your mind = makes sense.

Creating a soldier by animating a matryoshka with the power of love = shameful exploitation of moe archetypes.

Okay.
One is somewhat interesting fiction and the other is generic banal crap.

Didn't know Ruskis could be weaboos.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
m78UA.png

T9R4I.png

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The party even surrounds the enemies just like in Persona 3 and 4, and the protagonist looks similar to Minato. The positioning stuff can differentiate Conception a lot, however. If enemies turn around a lot, and if their various body parts have different attacks and elemental affinities, it'll be a pretty unique game.
Enemies do turn around a lot. Haven't met enemies with different body parts yet though. Positioning allows you to dodge charged attacks from the enemy, but you can't stack two teams of star children at one position.

I wonder how unit composition works. We know that the stats of the unit are the sum of each child's stats, but what about skills? Can a unit use any skill that at least one child in it can use? If so, putting as many classes with the same main stat as possible in a single unit is clearly the way to go. Things will be more interesting if certain powerful skills require you to have a specific number of children belonging to the same class in a single unit, as you'll have to choose between flexibility and power.
As long as one child has the skill, the unit will have the skill. The other children will attack while the ones that can cast the skill do so. But mixing and matching children in units allows you more flexibility to deal with the different resistances.
And what can the main character do in combat? Do you freely choose his skills on level ups, do his skills depend on which waifus he favors, or is there a strict progression decided by the developers? Hold me tightly, Codex, I can't wait to find out.

[/quote] The main character is pretty strong as an attacker. Skills seem to be bound to a strict progression, and I doubt waifu choice affects it. Haven't seen an influence thus far, quite some hours in. So far the game isn't that hard. Certainly nothing on the level of Nocturne. It's a tad easier and more forgiving than Persona 4, though still harder than Mass Effects. Still, the waifus are actually less easy to please in this one.

MaroonSkein

Augur
Didn't know Ruskis could be weaboos.
I'm not a weeaboo, though. As in, I don't think that the Japanese are some kind of a master race, blessed by their kami with superhuman game design abilities, never to be matched by baka gaijins. I merely like TB RPGs, and Japan just happens to be the last country on this planet that still makes them in any noticeable quantities. If Conception were a visual novel, I wouldn't pay it any attention, just like I don't pay any attention to the gazillion hentai visual novels out there.

Thanks for the information, treave. I like having to make a single class unit in order to get the most mileage out of a particular skill. Could you post more impressions after you complete the game? I'd particularly like to know what the overall difficulty curve is like, and how much influence the dating aspect has on combat. Does it simply give the children stat or XP boosts, or does it grant them entirely new abilities or gives additional properties to the existing ones? Finally, are support spells useful, or is the combat all about dealing as much direct damage as possible?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
A bit more of my current impressions. So far I've cleared only the first season and halfway through the second. The difficulty spikes pretty quickly if you don't focus on making good children. Certain mobs and bosses come together in groups that have both monsters that are strong against magic and those strong against defense, so mixing up the teams is always a good idea. The dating aspect has huge influence on combat. Here's what affection influences:

1. Level cap of the star children
2. Stats of the star children
3. Job availability of the star children (generally tied to stats)

As affection is capped by your progress into the game, this means that grinding can only raise the level of your star children up to a certain level and it ensures your children levels will not outstrip the challenge quickly. The influence of affection also means it's impossible to do well in the dungeons without also doing well at pleasing at least 3 or 4 maidens. Once you've created a child, the level cap for that particular child will not change. You'll need to do more courting and make another child to level from scratch to take advantage of the increased level cap and stats.

Skills and spells are governed by jobs and elements. Regardless of the animation, the damage of the attack/skill/spell will be determined by the overall stat in the group, so I made a mistake there. When you place the children in a team, certain combinations will provide bonuses to stats.

For example, a team of all fighters would give a +3% to physical attack for the team. This is not to say that single class units are the way to go, since you can get greater stat boosts (which really is all that govern skill damage) from other combinations and jobs depending on the maiden you create the child with. Furthermore, different combinations in a team also unlock team skills, which are generally stronger.

Now for resistances, I still haven't encountered any multi-part enemies. But each enemy has at least one weak point, whether it's front, left, right or back. Skills also have front, left, right or back directions. So, if you were to attack from the left side with a front-attacking skill, you would hit the left side of the enemy. but if you were to attack from the left side with a left-attacking skill, you would hit the front of the enemy. Attacking the weak point will increase the chances of status ailments triggering, increase chances of having a critical hit, and just increase damage in general.

Support skills and status ailments don't do much for me at the moment. Hopefully that will change when (if) I get more skills.

It's a pretty fun romp thus far even if the battle system doesn't compare favourably with the press turn system of the SMT series. I guess the main drawback is that the positioning and weak point system only applies to the enemies; your party doesn't have weak points to exploit.

MaroonSkein

Augur
Thanks again. Level caps, team skills and the direction properties of attacks all sound quite interesting. Shame about the party not having any weaknesses. Enemies being unable to use demon co-op was the main reason I didn't enjoy Strange Journey as much as I wanted to.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yo bros, I grabbed Conception II for my Vita (after trying the demo).

The demo looked like a simplified persona clone with a stronger dating sim elemen, so I decided to buy it.

Have anyone tried?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Y'know - I thought this thread is about someone in the codex offering their accidental offspring for adoption and I was worried for a moment on why it alerted me.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I liked Evangelion, but agree that it's been a bit overhyped by the fanbase.

Most of the Judeo-Christian symbolism's just fluff made to make the show look cool, too.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
RK47 watched this thread, why am i not surprised.

Felix

Arcane
Wtf is up with the title's translation and the added "please" like a faggot, 'Have my babies, bitches' would be a more appropriate title.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
コンセプション 俺の子供を産んでくれ!

Eh? Well, the added "please" does soften up the imperative, but still.

Kozukuri Banchou is still better than this crap. You get to make your own sister your wife!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom