Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Coolest RPG Archetype

What archetype reliably has the coolest mystique?

• Holy Warrior

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • Daring Rogue

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • God-like Arcanist

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Indomitable Barbarian

• Mystical Druid

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Spell-sword Gish

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • Tortured Warlock

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Stoic Ranger

• Other

Votes: 16 20.8%

• Total voters

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
960x0.png

No feet are visible in this image. Admins, quick, someone took over JarlFrank 's account.
ERYFKRAD did, as you can tell from the image.

You left out all the cool artchetypes:

Master swordsman
Scholarly mage
Bear whisperer (2024)
I tried to leave it broad. God-like arcanists are typically studious. Master swordsman comes in different flavors. Typically the daring rogue, holy warrior, or indominable barbarian. Etc.

I'm not totally surprised holy warrior is the leader, but I am surprised at how relatively even the votes are.

No, master swordsman is someone who is dedicated to the study and perfection of their fighting skill. A samurai, or a humble knight, etc.

Daring rogue is more about boldness and arrogance, holy warrior is more about the religious aspects and faith/courage, barbarian is wild unrestrained rage. Different things. I hate when RPGs conflate them, we must keep this shit PURE.

AfterVirtue

Literate
In what context?
Yeah, he is right. It depends on setting, story, mood...

and of the tone of the archetype too;

Daring Rogue? You can have Garrett flavoured, Gray Mouser favoured, Cugel the Clever flavoured, Kikaha flavoured, one could say d'Artagnan in some way, etc.

I like to play Gish (and i heard this is possibly going to fuck me in dungeon siege, nice mindless fun for now), if it does not make too much of a tonal clash, and i know why: between my initiations to fantasy as a child there was Joe Dever's Lone Wolf.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A paladin with a barbaric twist - an Orlanthi Rune Lord in RuneQuest/Glorantha is the coolest in my books. Not that I'd necessarily choose one as my PC, I'm more into rogues.

OT:

Also goddamn JarlFrank, you really think I'm not familiar with Fraz works? Me, the biggest Bisley fan on this cursed forum?

I actually amuse myself by trying to generate (and failing) Frazetta like images with this:
https://civitai.com/models/119461/frank-frazetta-sdxl-10-art-style-lora

Also, if that was some 4d chess, you got me, and hence the pic above.

:hahyou:

It's good that these so called Frazetta adherents are declaring their cult allegiance, it will be easier to cull them later on.

I can see the "romantic" appeal of such paintings/images, but I dunno, the sword looks like a club (completely impractical), and the barbarian's face looks like a fat Gypsy woman.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
:stunned:
Can't decide. I will get bored with whatever option i end choosing before wanting to try something else.

Spike

Educated
Justice is served and God smiles upon the Codex.
The other acceptable answer is indomitable barbarian and no other.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom