Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Corpse Crew Alpha Version 0.4A (Want your input)

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Cleveland Mark Blakemore said:
I had high hopes for Call of Cthulu but it turns into an action run'n'jump halfway through which was awful. The beginning was scary as hell wandering around the little city.
Incidentally, you'll find a good thread on the old French Call Of Cthulhu games in General Gaming section of this forum.

Shadow Of The Comet has some fine atmosphere with its empty desolate towns.

wrathofdog

Scholar
Has there ever been any tangible proof that one of Cleve's games exist? They all sound like vivid hallucinations induced by the darkness and solitude of the bunker.

wrathofdog said:
Has there ever been any tangible proof that one of Cleve's games exist? They all seem like vivid hallucinations induced by the darkness and solitude of the bunker.
Not from this (fake) Cleve at any rate.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
At present I feel I have gotten the game mechanic wrong. It is too structured and I feel it could benefit enormously from being unstructured. It requires a lot of contrivances and it would be better doing away with the contrivances and making it freeform like Fallout 3. In fact, instead of what I have at present, I think what I need is a survival horror world like Fallout 3 except with zombies.
Have two game modes. Story and Survival.

You need some kind of goal. For example, you're on an island. Research went wrong, cue Zombies. You now need to get to the docks to take the last boat off the island. The game is then you running from location to location, barricading up and seeing how long you can survive. So you start inside a research lab and need to get out (cue physics puzzles ala Penumbra). Maybe you're there with some other guy and the whole "hold position and barricade" thing is because at each location he needs to do something. Like he needs an hour to rig up a generator to power the door mechanism so it will open (facility auto-sealed itself). Your job is to barricade that location and hold off the zombies while he does that (otherwise you'd just run).

Once done, the door opens and you decide when to run for it. Next location is the store house to stock up on supplies. Hold off zombies while he stocks up (or maybe command him to hold off the zombies while you stock up). Then make your way to the communications satellite where he needs a day to re-adjust that to send for help. Cue barricading and holding zombies off again. Then you need to fight your way to the docks. Once there, the boat won't arrive for X days after you sent the signal, so now you just need to hold off.

Alternatively, maybe the zombies only come out at night so each day you can only travel so far (maybe via a World Map like the original Fallout's). You of course arrive at your destination at night, then have to barricade and hold the zombies off before being able to travel again to the next location and repeat.

Otherwise, it might be as simple as "Help is on its way, you need to survive X days on the island [choose how many days based on difficulty] before the chopper arrives". Then you have a reason to stay in one location and hold zombies off, while also having reason to change locations to get weapons and supplies (maybe as the zombies attack, they also damage the barricades beyond repair so each location will only last so long depending on how good you are).

That's story mode.

Survival mode is just "Help is not coming. How long can you stay alive?".

The barricading is good. It gets old when you have to do it in the same building again and again each night. I am wondering, what if the game were freeform and you found yourself in situations where you had to build barricades but it was not a fixed mechanic at a central location? For example, what if every night the zombies attack in giant generated waves but they attack you wherever you are and you must survive, wherever you are? If you want to barricade, you can. If you want to run, you can. You might be able to hide or climb but each night the zombies go into a frenzy and you have to survive it. During the day they are much reduced and less of a problem.
Give people a reason to change locations by spreading out weapons, ammunition and supplies. IE: If I'm trying to get off the island, then I'll head straight to the docks but the armoury has all the good weapons which I'll need to hold off the zombies easily, so I should make my way their first. Give people a choice.

Maybe have a simple food mechanic to force people to travel to locations where lots of zombies are in order to stock up on supplies to last the night (not eating once a day results in slower movement and eventually death).

The way I see it, you want to have various locations just so spice it up a little (barricading the same house will get boring fast unless you only intend this to be a simple game). So having various locations allows for some diversity and fun. That gives you a reason to move but you then need a reason to stay at those locations and barricade them.

Whatever you do, you need some reason or purpose to be either moving or staying where you are.

Andhaira

Arcane
What kind of weapons are you implementing into the game Cleve? Obviously you will have melee weapons and a pistol and a shotgun; anything beyond that?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
AndhairaX said:
What kind of weapons are you implementing into the game Cleve? Obviously you will have melee weapons and a pistol and a shotgun; anything beyond that?

Just say straight away that you wonder if it'll have katanas.

Andhaira

Arcane
lol yeah katana's would be great. Also, Cleve, what race will the main character be?

sheek

Arbiter
I tell you right now, if I can't play a gnomish mage-lord/blademaster (chained storm lightning + dual-wield katanas) I'm not buying the game...

Sckarecrow92

Educated
Don't add katanas.
Don't add tri-beam shotguns.
Don't add rocket launchers.
Don't add rock-it launchers.
Just add practical stuff. Things people would find after scrounging around a city, or something. Also, make it so the weapons are only as good as they would be against zombies, y'know? Blunt trauma won't be as effective as slicing body parts off, and I doubt a single round from a pistol would really do any damage either.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Sckarecrow92 said:
Blunt trauma won't be as effective as slicing body parts off

That depends, really. Smashing a skull with something very hard would probably be as effective as cutting it off.

sah

Liturgist
DarkUnderlord said:
You need some kind of goal. For example, you're on an island. Research went wrong, cue Zombies. You now need to get to the docks to take the last boat off the island.

There's a mod for Operation Flashpoint with the same premise and objective. I played it with 2 humans as a co-op. It was quite linear actually and poorly optimized (zombies would spawn via scripts wherever we went) but loads of fun. We found ammo, vehicles, fuel and clues that eventually led us to a boat. We then had to put it on a truck and get to the docks, I don't remember exactly. It was dark and foggy. We had to drive carefully and once in a while our headlights would illuminate a zombie standing in the middle of the road.

(edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZaSHBsh7TQ)

There is always a puzzle element to getting from point A to point B (unless it's a straight line). A more structured zombie game would be a set of disconnected puzzles (adventures), each with a palette of available means to achieve the objective. During a zombie apocalypse each one of us would find himself in a different "adventure", according to advantages/disadvantages of his particular location. Think of a mall, a hospital, a morgue, suburbs, city center, etc. Different population density and different resources at hand.

Sckarecrow92

Educated
Darth Roxor said:
Sckarecrow92 said:
Blunt trauma won't be as effective as slicing body parts off

That depends, really. Smashing a skull with something very hard would probably be as effective as cutting it off.

I guess so, but I don't really see a broken arm posing much of a problem to a zombie in my mind, and smashing a zombie's brain seems sort of like a finishing move....

Knightrider

Scholar
Shit.

You guys want more proof that I was right? That this is indeed a troll roleplaying Cleve? This is it. This alt really crossed the line here. If this guy doesn't act up you will be huge retards by still believing this is the real deal.

So, here you have it, douchebag Cleve impersonator! Make your point or fuck off. At least post screenshots or GTFO. I refuse to believe the real Cleve would be such a little bitch.

HAY GUISE, I HAVE LIEK, THIS SUPER DUPER ZOMBIE SHOOTER THAT IS 10 X BETTAR THAN L4DEAD, AND I WANT YOUR OPINIONS. BUT LIEK, I CAN'T EVAN POST SCREENSHOTS AN SHIT, BECAUSE I'M AFRAID YOU GUISE WILL SAY IT SUX. I AM A WHINY LITTLE BITCH AND THAT WOULD HURT MY FEELINGS.

SO LIEK, PLEASE PRAISE MY GAEM AND SUCK MY COCK, EVEN THOUGH I REFUSE TO GIVE ANY INFO ABOUT IT AND EVEN POST SCREENSHOTS. KTHNKSBYE.

Knightrider

Scholar
OgreOgre said:
Shut the fuck up, Chefe. God, you're truly a little annoying cunt, aren't ya.

What's the matter, PENDEJO!??!

CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH?!?!?!

I will give you some truth. You just wait and see.

MisterStone

Arcane
Come on Cleve, post a vid at least. This site does not ban people, it does not destroy threads (well for the most part) and your post here will be proof that you are only releasing an early test version of the game. Either you are a phony Cleve, you don't have an actual game to work on, or you are acting like a little girl. Man the fuck up and post something.

wrathofdog

Scholar
Too funny. Codex's cynicism is greatly overrated if anyone here actually believes Corpse Crew is anything but a hoax. C'mon. How many years have you guys been waiting on Grimoire, now? And now Cleve has a new game, a game with graphics 'between HL2 and Bioshock,'...' but he won't post a screenshot because he's 'afraid we'll rip those graphics'?

I'd call it a lame attempt at trolling if it didn't work so well. :lol:

Double Ogre

Scholar
There's actually an old alpha of Grimoire floating around the web. Ironically enough, it's mostly complete. Cleve is just never happy with it, so he ends up rewriting the code every year because of his OCD.

I'm assuming this project will meet the same fate.

Cleve has got most of you begging like pigeons at the park, for even a screenshot,

The inclusion of the game version (0.4) in the title of the thread was a masterful piece of trolling, you actually expect there to be a demo if he includes the version number.Trollmeister cleve.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Slenkar said:
Cleve has got most of you begging like pigeons at the park, for even a screenshot,

The inclusion of the game version (0.4) in the title of the thread was a masterful piece of trolling, you actually expect there to be a demo if he includes the version number.Trollmeister cleve.

I lol'd too when I saw 0.4A

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom