Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

cRPG with space combat and squad combat

MichiK

Novice
Patron
Hi,

My dream cRPG is one that has both ship to ship combat as well as man to
man combat, ideally, both turn based. Never seen something like that

The only games I can think that were even close were the two
Megatraveller games, Planet's Edge and, I think, Hard Nova.

Gearhead is sort of the same idea, but with Mecha, obviously.

Are there others? Any Indie companies put out something that I may have
missed?

Thanks,
Michael

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
There's an old, old one from the 1980s called Star Command where you have a ship and a crew. There's starship fighting, and you can board enemy ships and take over the other ships with your crew. You can also fight on alien outposts and stuff like that. It's a great game.

MichiK

Novice
Patron
Oh yeah, I remember that one.... it had this funky performance option to set whether it would draw the graphics as just outlines, or fill them in.

Had a jedi class, sort of... yeah, it was good fun.

Any others?

Crnobog

Liturgist
There's Rules of Engagement, a space warfare game that supposedly integrates with Breach, a tactical combat simulation. Don't know how this integration works exactly, but both look very detailed and challenging and got a very positive review on Underdogs

MichiK

Novice
Patron
Yes. Not really an RPG tho. Rules of Engagemnt was one of the highest learning curve games I ever played in my life, with the UI from hell.

Breach 1 & 2 werent bad, but Breach 3 was a total failure. X-COM kicked it's butt.

MichiK

Novice
Patron
Didn't know Buck Rogers had ship to ship comnbat... will have to check it out. Starflight was great - but no man to man combat.

SOmeday, I will need to get off my lazy ass and write tmy dream game. Have tried on 3 seperate occasions over the last 10 years, but in the end my enthusiasm wanes and I give it up.

Maybe when I retire...

Moggs

Liturgist
Underdogs throws up Planet's Edge (from New World Computing, no less) and Whale's Voyage. I've never played either (though tried to get both of them running at some point. I should try again with DosBox). I know there was a sequel to Whale's Voyage on the Amiga (it had AGA graphics, so might not look quite so dated). Again, it's one I've tried with an emulator but was beaten by technical difficulties (or more accurately, technical ineptitude).

M.

Moggs

Liturgist
Oh, now that I think about it, wasn't there that SSI game, around the time of the GoldBox ones? I think it was called Spelljammer, or something like that. Had a picture of a Spaceship that looked like a snail on the box. I think I tinkered with that a bit on the Amiga, back in the day

deus

Liturgist
As much as people hate Derek Smart, Battlecruiser Generations has both space and ground combat, although both are real-time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom