Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CRPGAddict

Luzur

Good Sir
personally, i would just lock the comment sections and just do my own thing.

if people like it they will read it.

Zeus

Cipher
Hell March said:
crpgaddict said:
I installed Google Analytics, and when I see a spike from a particular referring source (as I did yesterday from rpgcodex), I poke around and see why.

That's a little...schizophrenic. Isn't the point of the blog to chronicle your experiences with CRPGs, not to bathe in the criticism of your readers? Regardless, I enjoy your blog; and please do continue posting on this prestigious site :salute:

It's curiosity, not schizophrenia. Most webmasters would want to investigate a huge traffic spike. I know I would.

7hm

Scholar
Zeus said:
It's curiosity, not schizophrenia. Most webmasters would want to investigate a huge traffic spike. I know I would.

It's pretty normal.

I wish there more blogs / sites like this for when I've got some time to kill on the blackberry. Obviously not everyone is going to spend the time to go through all kinds of oldschool RPGs, and not everyone has the ability to write their thoughts as cohesively / interestingly, but I really can't think of too many RPG dedicated blogs that deserve notice.

I was going to ask this in your comment thread, but do you actually have the list in order posted somewhere?

I'm curious to see what's coming up beyond my own impressions of what was published in ... '88 now?

ecliptic

Liturgist
I've spent many hours reading the blog previously (in fact, I need to catch up). It's nice to see someone with the wherewithal to burn through these games that I have neither the time nor patience to attempt it. It helps fill in those gaps in my abandonware playing experiences.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
grotsnik said:
I can see what Sceptic means about the opening emphasis on 'I'm not your standard nerd, I actually have a sex life and take exercise!!', and I don't think he means that you shouldn't bring your personal life into your blog as much as that you're doing so quite self-consciously.
Yes, that's exactly what I meant. There's nothing wrong with bringing in some personal stuff once in a while, and in fact I must admit that a number of them made me chuckle (the one where you brought your laptop on a vacation and sneaked in a blog post springs to mind). I specifically had in mind the more self-conscious ones (particularly the opening). I can see why you felt a bit silly (this is the state of gaming sadly; if you're over 18 and play games, anyone who doesn't will look at you in a funny way if they find out), but there really is no need to justify it. Even some of the basement dwellers in here with post counts in the thousands (*cough*) have a life, contrary to what logic would dictate ;)

crpgaddict said:
On the other hand, I LIKE writing my "editorials" and "silly GIMLET" postings, and the blog is primarily an outlet for me to do what I want to do
Of course, and frankly it's the reason why I made the comments here and not to you directly: it's your blog, you do what you want, those who love it will read it (and I can see from the comments there's quite a few of them), those who don't won't, and those who like me enjoy some posts but not others can cherry pick, and everyone's happy (your choice of titles is quite nice btw: it's instantly recognizable what's what).

Sceptic, even though most of your comments were negative, they're the most detailed feedback anyone has thought to write in a while (even if you didn't write them specifically for me), so thanks. At the very least, you've made me realize I need to inject less of my non-CRPG interests in my postings.
As I said above I think the non-CRPG interests range from neutral to fun in their own right, so there's no reason they should go; I'd just suggest not to be so self-conscious about your CRPG interest. If anything, the non-CRPG ones are also a reminder that there's a real person writing this blog and playing all the games. I didn't mean to sound so negative, but I realize I only focused on things I don't like. I do like the blog though, and most of the posts are very enjoyable. I'll mention one specific point I think add a lot to the blog: the bullet points of "things I have found out about the game mechanics". You've done it lately in the Nethack post and it's great. In the case of Nethack I never played this game, so it allows discovery of mechanics at the same rate as the blogger, which makes the reader feel more involved. With Beyond Zork, which I had played, it's fun to see how someone else is thinking about the solution to a puzzle, making connections, and slowly reaching the conclusion that the reader already knows.
Anyway good job all in all :thumbsup:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Opening a session of NetHack is like going to a club for the evening, and each character is like the different people you approach. You're hoping to seal the deal with each of them, but you almost always go home alone. Some of them last longer than others. But whether you only make it to Level 1 (a smile), Level 4 (buying them a drink), or Level 12 (a quick snog in a corner), ultimately you usually do something stupid, or just suffer some bad luck, and you have to start over again. (Sod the lot of you at RPGCodex: I'm crafting a metaphor, not describing my own life.)
:lol: :love:

Monkeysphere

Novice
I, too am a person of refined tastes and prefer my digital entertainment 30 years old

GAYMERS4LYEF LOLOLOLOL

fuck this is pathetic

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
What are you on about? The guy's playing games and blogging about them, most of the time in pretty entertaining fashion. I don't believe he ever claimed that made him a person of refined tastes. Besides he's clearly played the new stuff, as he mentions some of them in passing. Well he's also played some of the old stuff too (he loves the Gold Box games IIRC), but that was probably when he was younger. Excuse us for not all being teenagers.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Sceptic said:
Opening a session of NetHack is like going to a club for the evening, and each character is like the different people you approach. You're hoping to seal the deal with each of them, but you almost always go home alone. Some of them last longer than others. But whether you only make it to Level 1 (a smile), Level 4 (buying them a drink), or Level 12 (a quick snog in a corner), ultimately you usually do something stupid, or just suffer some bad luck, and you have to start over again. (Sod the lot of you at RPGCodex: I'm crafting a metaphor, not describing my own life.)
:lol: :love:
:love:, indeed!

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I much prefer retro-gaming to whining about how Bioware and Bethesda ruined our lives, so I love that blog.

Keep up the good work, CRPG Addict!

DaveO

Erudite
It takes a lot of determination to take on so many RPG titles and to blog about the experiences, ratings, criticisms etc. I'll keep an eye on his blog to see his reactions to titles of a less than stellar nature. Descent to Undermountain and Pools of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor come to mind.

denizsi

Arcane
I just had an awesome idea of a site: like those meeting sites where you rate member photos (eg. hotornot.com), you get the game name, a screenshot or two and you rate it hit/shit/dunno. When looking at a member's profile, you can see which games he has rated hit/shit/dunno.

hitorshit.com.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm a big fan of his blog. I've finally caught up on the whole thing, but it's interesting to see things that I haven't played in ages but used to love or hate. It's a huge nostalgia trip.

Besides that, I've been messing around with M&M1 on and off for awhile now since before I discovered his blog. It's nice to see others appreciate some classics even ones I've never heard of or disagree about the quality of.

tennishero

Novice
i like how fags can priase ultima 4 which is an unplayable fossil which is best left to nostalgia

on the other hand these same fags insult oblivion which a flawed gem and still the best CRPG ever made

what do wastleland, zelda, ultima series, fallout, planescape all have in common

shit combat
and asshole fanbases ready nut hug the game

octavius

Arcane
Patron
tennishero said:
i like how fags can priase ultima 4 which is an unplayable fossil which is best left to nostalgia

on the other hand these same fags insult oblivion which a flawed gem and still the best CRPG ever made

I never knew homosexuals were so interested in CRPGs before I found the Codex.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
tennishero said:

what do wastleland, zelda, ultima series, fallout, planescape all have in common

shit combat
and asshole fanbases ready nut hug the game
0/10. Why you don't even trying? This is Codex, goddamit. Everyone is a troll or/and have some resist to trolling. Take your shit to gamefags or something.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
octavius said:
tennishero said:

I never knew homosexuals were so interested in CRPGs before I found the Codex.

It's the roleplaying.

People quoting tennishero

Fuck, this is why I don't ignore anyone, it's useless

crpgaddict said:
Frankly, I decided to start the blog because I figured if I was going to spend so much time on CRPGs, I might as well create something tangible out of the experience. It doesn't matter that what I'm creating is kind-of goofy; it's still better than finishing a game and announcing "I won!" to the empty air.

Maybe this is how achievements were created?

But yeah, nice read. It's nice to read things made by people you know are genuinely interested in what they're doing, even if you disagree with them at some points (or specially because of it, since otherwise all you can do is nod and say "I agree, excellent taste you have there, bro, reminds me of myself").

zool

Arcane
Looks like he's getting more Codexian with each day passing.

start_005.png

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Sceptic said:
"I disagree with some of his takes" is an understatement. The guy's a paradox, a weird combination of super-hardcore (he spent 4 months and a zillion characters on Rogue because he absolutely insisted on beating it fair and square) and super-retard (he fits just right in the "how to role-play in Oblivion" UESP page). He's also got an unhealthy obsession with reminding us that he has a life, a wife, and loves to oggle girls; again the constant claims of "I'm not a nerd" are weird for someone calling himself The CRPG Addict and playing every single CRPG ever released.
The idea that RPGs are a nerd hobby is pretty new. From what I've read, all kinds of people used to play them in heydays of AD&D. Only recently the genre was hijacked by nerds and the ideal RPG gamer somehow became a nerd, preferably with asperger syndrome. Personally, I was one of the "ADHD kids" hated by the Codex in the days when I liked cRPGs the most, so I can see how such attempts to hijack our hobby by a specific subculture can be annoying.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Awor Szurkrarz said:
The idea that RPGs are a nerd hobby is pretty new. From what I've read, all kinds of people used to play them in heydays of AD&D.

Depends on your location, I guess. In Scandinavia, and probably rest of Europe, table top RPGs are definitely pretty high level nerdism. And my impression is that it was quite nerdy in the US as well, only that the US had a higher nerd to square ratio.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom