Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Crusader Kings III

Man I love what Paradox is doing with CK3. After being stalled by life for several years I was worried CK3 would be a strong competitor with tons of brand power and marketing reach but Axioms is well ahead of the game mechanically. Glorious. If only Paradox had good game designers.
Axioms doesn't exist.

If Axioms did not exist, it would be necessary to invent it.

The Sultan of Arabia will forever be fascinated by West African War Canoes.

Hey, don't sleep on canoes. You should see some big canoes the pre-columbian natives built, and the Polynesians did journeys across the Pacific on canoes.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer

Man I love what Paradox is doing with CK3. After being stalled by life for several years I was worried CK3 would be a strong competitor with tons of brand power and marketing reach but Axioms is well ahead of the game mechanically. Glorious. If only Paradox had good game designers.
Axioms doesn't exist.

If Axioms did not exist, it would be necessary to invent it.

The Sultan of Arabia will forever be fascinated by West African War Canoes.

Hey, don't sleep on canoes. You should see some big canoes the pre-columbian natives built, and the Polynesians did journeys across the Pacific on canoes.

As a Missourian people never respect the canoes of our natives. Big boys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA101DfjjTM
Very popular with the folk music dorks.

Probably a reason Axioms is gonna have intense brown water navy mechanics cause I live at the confluence.

Last edited:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Out of morbid curiosity I checked the Ck3 forum over at PDX and to my surprise A LOT of people have the same stance as I do over there. They're not thrilled about the DLC and point out how shallow the basic gameplay actually is. Incredible!

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Out of morbid curiosity I checked the Ck3 forum over at PDX and to my surprise A LOT of people have the same stance as I do over there. They're not thrilled about the DLC and point out how shallow the basic gameplay actually is. Incredible!
How do you think I know there is an audience for my "vaporware" bro? Because Paradox dropped the ball so hard. Its all nude 3d models for their gay orgy religions and sexuality settings to make the whole world gay.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/ck3-dev-diary-87-royal-modding.1507899/

Same-Sex Marriage
Coming with 1.5 is support for same-sex marriage, not only just in mods either but as a new game rule alongside the Same-Sex relations game rule so you can use it in un-modded games too. We've updated a variety of AI logic and interactions and content to take that into account when playing.
same_sex_marriage.png

Mods are of course able to implement this into their different worlds without it having to be a game rule, it can be based on different cultures or anything in the game world at all.

This is something that we’re very happy to be able to put into the game and have support in the game rules for unmodded games too, it is something that a lot of the team and community wanted and we are glad it is finally going to be shipped in 1.5.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/ck3-dev-diary-87-royal-modding.1507899/

Same-Sex Marriage
Coming with 1.5 is support for same-sex marriage, not only just in mods either but as a new game rule alongside the Same-Sex relations game rule so you can use it in un-modded games too. We've updated a variety of AI logic and interactions and content to take that into account when playing.
same_sex_marriage.png

Mods are of course able to implement this into their different worlds without it having to be a game rule, it can be based on different cultures or anything in the game world at all.

This is something that we’re very happy to be able to put into the game and have support in the game rules for unmodded games too, it is something that a lot of the team and community wanted and we are glad it is finally going to be shipped in 1.5.
Now you can marry off your retard son to another man so that he doesn't get to spoil your genetic pool.

vonAchdorf

Arcane

Mortmal

Arcane
How do you think I know there is an audience for my "vaporware" bro? Because Paradox dropped the ball so hard. Its all nude 3d models for their gay orgy religions and sexuality settings to make the whole world gay.
There's a lot for you to do, to get an audience still. Especially when you can get very high quality modded fantasy games from civ 4-5 or even EU4 for free, fall from heaven , anbennar comes to mind . It better bring a lot more than those.

Vatnik Wumao
So have you guys thought about any neat cultural mergers that you might want to try out once RC drops?

Will probably start with some vanilla Anglo-Norse stuff myself, but after that I'd be tempted to make a Graeco-Persian culture (probably gonna name it 'Imperial' since I can't think of a historically plausible name for it) and then go on to transform the ERE into a fundamentalist Zoroastrian empire with the Emperor as Saoshyant. :obviously:

Rieser

Scholar
This court stuff would be fine as an addition a bunch of years down the pipeline, but as the first big DLC? Seems like an odd focus.

Vatnik Wumao
This court stuff would be fine as an addition a bunch of years down the pipeline, but as the first big DLC? Seems like an odd focus.
Agreed, but personally I'm looking forward to the cultural rework that comes with it (plus a few smaller things like the return of court titles and what not) and not to the court stuff. Otherwise this DLC would've been indeed irremediable.

That being said, despite being neat, I heavily doubt that the cultural rework will add enough depth to the game as to warrant long term engagement with it. Theoretically the court stuff is supposed to help with the lack of late game challenge and to give further incentives for developing your domain as to pay for court expenses as you increase your grandeur, but meh. Paradox seems to be focused on loyalizing storyfags to the detriment of typical grand strategy players, so having an actual gameplay challenge is a big no-no.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Currently the game gets boring because you can't do much more than map painting. So I appreciate content that offers something else, but I'm not sure yet if Royal Court is the right path or just window throne room dressing.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
There's a lot for you to do, to get an audience still. Especially when you can get very high quality modded fantasy games from civ 4-5 or even EU4 for free, fall from heaven , anbennar comes to mind . It better bring a lot more than those.

Hehehe, funny you should bring up Anbennar. Funny indeed.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer

Welcome to Paradox Games, please slob on Johan's knob on your way out from buying our pointless pretty pictures DLC.

Harthwain

Magister
Currently the game gets boring because you can't do much more than map painting.
I admit I would be VERY interested to see mechanics that increase the in-game difficulty in a meaningful way. But I guess way too many people like map/world painting for Paradox to try and mess with it.

BarãodoDesterro

Educated
I admit I would be VERY interested to see mechanics that increase the in-game difficulty in a meaningful way. But I guess way too many people like map/world painting for Paradox to try and mess with it.

I tend to disregard artificial difficulty (I am looking at you, EU4's Very Hard modifiers), but handicap can sometimes be not that bad (Lucky Nations modifiers, for example). Expecting they won't, in the near future, add meaningful mechanics, they could, at least, add a hard mode which saves every campaign from being a "restore the Roman Empire before...".

Maybe they could nerf the possibility of arresting members of the family (because the tyranny penalty of arresting a son — or a husband, so that your ruler can't have more children — and sending him to dungeons is ridiculous it is so easy to blob) and diplomacy skill (which lets you control all rebellions without effort).

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
https://www.rt.com/pop-culture/547429-crusader-kings-homosexual-marriage/
Paradox Development Studio, the company behind the widely acclaimed historical grand strategy game ‘Crusader Kings 3’, has announced that a same-sex marriage option will be included in the next free update, following backlash and accusations of homophobia over game mechanics that prevented players from forming official homosexual relationships.

I wish some hadji would fucking bomb them all.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
In CK2 I liked the introduction of the Council, because for me it felt more authentic than the absolutism possible before it. Some people didn't like it because it removed player agency to some extent (even tough you could game it). My hope for the DLC is that it brings more life and "drama" to the relationship of the feudal lord with his vassals. Expansion is entertaining, but I also like the challenge of keeping a kingdom with powerful vassals together. Just don't make it a whack-a-mole challenge.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
In CK2 I liked the introduction of the Council, because for me it felt more authentic than the absolutism possible before it. Some people didn't like it because it removed player agency to some extent (even tough you could game it). My hope for the DLC is that it brings more life and "drama" to the relationship of the feudal lord with his vassals. Expansion is entertaining, but I also like the challenge of keeping a kingdom with powerful vassals together. Just don't make it a whack-a-mole challenge.
Removing player agency... What a complaint about fucking CK3. Like go play Civ bro jesus. Not every strategy game needs an omnipotent, omniscient autocratic ruler mode. Of course with Paradox incapable of a truly interesting and integrated set of character management systems perhaps you can't take away too much agency since a shit implementation isn't capable of doing it and still being fun.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Currently the game gets boring because you can't do much more than map painting.
The problem is the use of Paradox and "meaningful" in the same sentence. Paradox mechanics are shallow inflexible unintegrated cruft layered on top of other such mechanics with no interaction.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom