Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crusader Kings

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
oscar said:
Also, I'm assuming that a technology gets harder to research each step you go down it's 'tree'?

e.g Farming Technique 2 would take more time to be discovered then Farming Equipment 1?

Yes. You are not really meant to discover them all. Especially as those more northern provinces, since the light of technology comes from Mediterrean.
Its a really complex system too, with designated trade routes among which technology is spread - there are maps on paradoxplaza. Some provinces can receive advances from six others and some from only one.

Calem Ravenna

Scholar
oscar said:
Also, I'm assuming that a technology gets harder to research each step you go down it's 'tree'?

e.g Farming Technique 2 would take more time to be discovered then Farming Equipment 1?

Each subsequent tech level takes about 2 or 3 times as much time to discover as the previous. Most later techs are also much harder to discover before a certain date passes.

Fens

Ford of the Llies
Santini said:
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=312050
too much fluff for my taste and very incomplete... liked the maps though

Calem Ravenna

Scholar
root said:
alright, not removing from inventory the rest of the shit i need for the lp, be upping it at friday at the latest. just a quick question; can i edit kingdom titles without getting into a lot of heavy scripting? what I means is, i wanna create a new kingdom from some already existing territories before game start.

paradox forums has a nice guide about modding and whatnot, but couldn't find anything about creating new kingdom titles. not that it matters a lot, but it'd add to the fluff.

also, if there ever was a coat of arms for the 'kingdom' of the netherlands, i'd appreciate if somebody could post it here.

What follows is a crudely written "tutorial" of sorts. Proceed at your own risk.

Creating a title is easy. With Deus Vult installed, open the file world_names.csv (in "config" folder) with a simple text editor like wordpad and make a backup copy of it- this is important because some text editors may fuck up the .csv file's formatting. Find the phrase "u000" - this is a title tag. In Deus Vult, you should have some 10 or more following tags (u001, u002 etc.), find one that has "user defined" after the semicolon. Replace "user defined" with a name (f.e. Netherlands). Save. Now you can open the file country.csv in "db" folder if you want to customize your new title's colours, but it's not mandatory.

Place a u001.bmp (or whatever tag you chose) flag file in gfx/coa folder. And you have a working title. Now to actually implement it in-game there's a couple of ways, but the most straightforward is to replace all instances of some other title with your new one in the scenario files. Going with the Netherlands example, replace all instances of HAIN (tag for Duchy of Holland in DVIP at least, your mileage may vary) with U000/whatever in "1066_scenario_" .inc files in scenario folder. Instead of Duchy of Holland you'll have Duchy of Netherlands, still vassal to Germany. To remove the vassalage and make it a kingdom, go into "1066_scenario_titles.inc" file, find "tag = U000", remove the "liege = xxxx" line that follows and change "tier = duchy" to "tier = kingdom". Do the same in "1066_scenario_countries.inc". Now when you start a new Hastings game there should be an independent Kingdom of Netherlands on the map.

Damn, what gibberish. Hopefully at least parts of it were understandable.

Calem Ravenna

Scholar
root said:
aye, I understand it, thanks. but I thing is, i didn't want to actually start as a kingdom; that's kinda too easy. i was hoping to be able to create such a title as the game progresses, although the game has none. I was thinking of stealing some territories from kingdom lotharing/germany to create the title, but i don't know how to make such a title available. ideally, what I would want is that, when I click on create title in the actions menu, the name "Kingdom of the Netherlands" would be available, saying "you have X of Y territories needed to create this title" bla bla bla

but not start as one, no.

To do that you have to edit the provinces file, which is a bit of a mess. Almost all provinces have a duchy and a kingdom title assigned to them, you'll have to replace those with your new title's tag. Look at that file (provinces.csv), in one of the rows you should see some four letter tags., like ULST;IREL. First one is a duchy title, second is a kingdom title.

Now, just find the provinces you want and replace the kingdom part with your new title's tag and you're good to go.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Quilty said:
treave said:
Imageshack or tinypic?

You just need "Print Screen" and MS Paint anyway for your capturing and editing needs.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. And please, for the love of god, don't make it one of those story-driven LPs where you take one screenshot and then write a five-page conversation between two bland characters. I hate those. Just give us the gist.

This. The paradox forums are filled with LP's like this that it sometimes looks like horribly written fanfiction central.

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
Trash said:
Quilty said:
treave said:
Imageshack or tinypic?

You just need "Print Screen" and MS Paint anyway for your capturing and editing needs.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. And please, for the love of god, don't make it one of those story-driven LPs where you take one screenshot and then write a five-page conversation between two bland characters. I hate those. Just give us the gist.

This. The paradox forums are filled with LP's like this that it sometimes looks like horribly written fanfiction central.
Well... people like to pretend that they're interesting writers.
Although, the forums do have good LP-writers, too.

Garm

Learned
Does anyone know if the DVIP mod + DVIP addon is compatible with the TASS mod?

The Jester

Cipher
Is there a mod to hide choice consequences for CK2?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom