Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crysis - Bullshit = Warhead?

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Apparently, that's exactly what reviewers are saying, claiming that every bad thing about Crysis is gone now. It's just had a few 90+ reviews out for it, and it comes out in 2 days. I was going to buy it anyway, since it's for $10 here, though without high expectations. Looks like it has exceeded them a bit, because

IGN said:
Crytek claims that Warhead is better optimized than Crysis, and everything I experienced confirms this. In fact, what's amazing is that Warhead not only runs better than Crysis, it looks better than Crysis.

IGN said:
Crytek reduced the downtime between battles to a bare minimum; you're often no sooner out of a fight before stumbling into another one. And sometimes, you might even drag one fight into another.

IGN said:
And, yes, the alien battles in Warhead are a lot tougher than they are in Crysis. Gone are the short, linear sequences; now you're in the sandbox with the aliens, so it's a fast-paced cat-and-mouse game of shoot, move, and cover. The aliens dart around; they like to pelt you from a distance.

IGN said:
Comments like that make it seem as if the Crytek had a chip on its shoulder, because it addressed almost every complaint about Crysis and then some.

The PC Zone and Eurogamer reviews are in the same vein, as I checked. For $10, I would have bought Warhead anyway, but it's nice to know they took these steps. If this stuff is true, then this is very good.

And now there's a month until Far Cry 2. I know what I will be playing until then.

Gerrard

Arcane
IGN said:
Crytek claims that Warhead is better optimized than Crysis
Crysis was optimized?

By the way, from what I've heard (some of?) this improved performance was achieved by adding fog that reduces view distance, and this sure seems to be the case when you look at the screenshots.

Crysis Warhead is not a particularly long game - in fact, if you're playing on normal settings, and you're familiar with the first entry in the series, you can probably clock this at somewhere between five and seven hours.
Awesome.

At least they don't want 50 bucks for it.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
10 bucks in INDIA. See, videogames come at a lower cost here, with $25 being the standard. Local purchasing power, you know.

EA games come at $20, and since expansions are usually always at half price, I am sure I can get it for around $10 here. Though then again, it is a standalone expansion, so it might be $20.

Funny thing is, although it's so cheap here, people are even cheaper. Most still prefer to pirate. Me, I like my games to actually work, so I am not going to touch any of that second-rate pirated crap.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Wyrmlord said:
Funny thing is, although it's so cheap here, people are even cheaper. Most still prefer to pirate. Me, I like my games to actually work, so I am not going to touch any of that second-rate pirated crap.
Funny, this is one of the motives why people pirate game or use cracks instead of the original .exe nowadays. :lol:

fastpunk

Arbiter
5 hours? Wow, this is HL2 Episode 1 all over again. I hope this length doesn't become norm for fps campaigns.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
The reviewer played the game on a lower difficulty. That, and it's a sandbox game. For the sake of writing a review, he has to speed through. Ultimately, the game is only a long as you make it.

Honestly, I took my time with Crysis. I wanted to relish every moment of it. And I did so on Delta. I got all the hours I needed.

Besides, I don't think FPSes from years back were particularly long either. We just got better at them. Really, I have replayed alot of games that I played years ago. They used to take me months or weeks back then, but now they are instantly over in a few days or a week. Despite me having even less free time. Far Cry and Mafia come to mind. I remembered them as epic-length games. Tried them again on higher difficulties, over in a jiffy.

MetalCraze

Arcane
10 bucks in INDIA.
0 bucks in utorrent oh shi- piracy killed Crysis - that's why we are releasing the add-on now - because Crysis was oh so unsuccessful :EA:

Besides, I don't think FPSes from years back were particularly long either.
I'm playing Tribes: Vengeance right now. I'm not dying often. But it is much longer than any FPS that came out in the last 2 years.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Here's a funny thing, skyway. Crysis sold a million copies. It received mostly 90+ reviews.

But Crytek still isn't happy. For god's sake, PC Gamer gave them their highest score in history. And a million copies compared to Far Cry's 730,000 is quite a margin of improvement, especially for a new upstart developer. And yet Yerli says he expected more critically and commercially.

Incredible. What do they want? That Crysis be considered nothing short of Jesus' second coming? Can't they look in perspective and understand that other indie studios have had far far less success than them?

Annonchinil

Scholar
Wyrmlord said:
10 bucks in INDIA. See, videogames come at a lower cost here, with $25 being the standard. Local purchasing power, you know.

EA games come at $20, and since expansions are usually always at half price, I am sure I can get it for around $10 here. Though then again, it is a standalone expansion, so it might be $20.

But people who pirate games, play them and enjoy them will just buy them anyways. Right?

Anyways I am getting Warhead, the only question is retail or Steam.

aleph

Arcane
Annonchinil said:
But people who pirate games, play them and enjoy them will just buy them anyways. Right?

Shut up. Must every thread about Crysis turn into a flamewar about the morality of piracy sooner or later?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Wyrmlord said:
Here's a funny thing, skyway. Crysis sold a million copies. It received mostly 90+ reviews.

But Crytek still isn't happy.
Crysis cost 22 mil to develop. I assume that doesn't include publishing/marketing costs.

And a million copies compared to Far Cry's 730,000 is quite a margin of improvement...
Not if they spent twice as much money.

Can't they look in perspective and understand that other indie studios have had far far less success than them?
Since when Crytek is an indie studio?

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I once read somewhere that Far Cry actually sold 2,5 million units, or was it the entire Far Cry franchise? (inclusive console bullshit).
Anyway, I've a lot respect for them. Being independent, coming out with a PC exclusive that was completely self-financed...you gotta need balls to do that these days. I'm sure going to support them by picking up a copy next week.
Hopefully, one day they're gonna get into FPS/RPG development a'la Deus Ex or System Shock2, this would be kewl.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Morgoth said:
I once read somewhere that Far Cry actually sold 2,5 million units, or was it the entire Far Cry franchise? (inclusive console bullshit).
Anyway, I've a lot respect for them. Being independent, coming out with a PC exclusive that was completely self-financed...you gotta need balls to do that these days. I'm sure going to support them by picking up a copy next week.
Hopefully, one day they're gonna get into FPS/RPG development a'la Deus Ex or System Shock2, this would be kewl.
Yeah, I mean these guys started as a small studio working by itself, and by its first game, it gets highly positive reception, and by the second, it's a well established developer.

I can't think of many devs with such meteoric rise to success. Many of them actually linger for years before they become highly successful. Just look at pre-BG Bioware.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
sabishii said:
Why aliens, damnit?

why not ?

aliens in crysis sucked because they had shitty AI and linear level design accompanying them. from the review it sounds like they dealt with both problems.

too bad they didnt include them in MP. i m still longing for a new MP game like AvsP where you dont have the usual US vs commie/terrorist/nazi bullshit with different skins and weapons but some REALLY different factions like you had in AvsP.

Destroid

Arcane
Isn't there a new aliens fps in the works?

Also, natural selection 2 should be coming in 2009, the first iteration was pretty much the best fps ever.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
This sounds kickass. Crysys was one of the only games I played twice.

By the way when you say 22mil for development does that include the cryengine?

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I not only played the game twice, some of the levels, I played several times over. God, what a fantastic game Crysis is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom