Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crysis Remastered

antimeridian

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I am slightly interested in how the sequels perform and what upgrades they did, so I'll wait for some kind of visual analysis video. Maybe Digital Foundry will find some spare time.
The sequel remasters came out last year, they are only coming to Steam now. DF did cover them pretty extensively:
https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfoundry-2021-crysis-2-3-remastered-tech-review
Crysis 2 Remastered consoles: https://youtu.be/xq4s06EVgRY
Crysis 3 Remastered consoles: https://youtu.be/jivLmR6iuyI
2+3 PC vid: https://youtu.be/Zc7IV5hbhcY

soulburner

Cipher
I am slightly interested in how the sequels perform and what upgrades they did, so I'll wait for some kind of visual analysis video. Maybe Digital Foundry will find some spare time.
The sequel remasters came out last year, they are only coming to Steam now. DF did cover them pretty extensively:
https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfoundry-2021-crysis-2-3-remastered-tech-review
Crysis 2 Remastered consoles: https://youtu.be/xq4s06EVgRY
Crysis 3 Remastered consoles: https://youtu.be/jivLmR6iuyI
2+3 PC vid: https://youtu.be/Zc7IV5hbhcY
Damn, must have been stuck under a rock then. Thank you!

JDR13

Arcane
So, I finally tried the remaster today, and it's actually not that bad. It's not a huge improvement over the original, but the people claiming that it looks worse are full of shit. The textures, draw distance, and foliage are definitely improved. The lighting is more subjective, but I was running it on a GTX 1080, so I couldn't turn Ray Tracing on.

It also doesn't perform nearly as bad as I heard, but I guess the post-release patches made a difference. I'm able to run it on the 2nd-highest settings (I didn't try the highest), and it runs fine on my 5+ year old card.

antimeridian

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
So, I finally tried the remaster today, and it's actually not that bad. It's not a huge improvement over the original, but the people claiming that it looks worse are full of shit. The textures, draw distance, and foliage are definitely improved. The lighting is more subjective, but I was running it on a GTX 1080, so I couldn't turn Ray Tracing on.

It also doesn't perform nearly as bad as I heard, but I guess the post-release patches made a difference. I'm able to run it on the 2nd-highest settings (I didn't try the highest), and it runs fine on my 5+ year old card.
The RT is nice but not super noticable most of the time. Everything maxed out with DLSS Quality at 1440p I got around 40-60 fps on my 2080 Super, but playing with mostly high and RT low/medium got me well over 100 fps at all times and it felt great to play. Patches improved multithreading so it's way ahead of the original in performance now. Agreed that it's a definite visual improvement. I like the more vibrant color palate of the remaster (esp. with HDR support), and the draw distance improvements alone would make it hard for me to ever go back to the original. Even with config tweaks the pop-in in the original game is eye-searing.

JDR13

Arcane

The RT is nice but not super noticable most of the time. Everything maxed out with DLSS Quality at 1440p I got around 40-60 fps on my 2080 Super, but playing with mostly high and RT low/medium got me well over 100 fps at all times and it felt great to play. Patches improved multithreading so it's way ahead of the original in performance now. Agreed that it's a definite visual improvement. I like the more vibrant color palate of the remaster (esp. with HDR support), and the draw distance improvements alone would make it hard for me to ever go back to the original. Even with config tweaks the pop-in in the original game is eye-searing.
Good to hear. I'm getting a RTX 3080 Ti at the end of the month, so I'm going to wait till later to do a full playthrough. I'm eager to see how it looks on the highest settings with max RT. Ditto for Metro Exodus.

What was your experience with DLSS from a visual standpoint? It obviously improves framerates, but did you notice any loss of quality vs running the same resolution natively?

draw distance improvements alone would make it hard for me to ever go back to the original. Even with config tweaks the pop-in in the original game is eye-searing.

You did the wrong tweaks then because last time I played with my tweaks there was no visible pop in anywhere.

Melcar

Arcane
draw distance improvements alone would make it hard for me to ever go back to the original. Even with config tweaks the pop-in in the original game is eye-searing.

You did the wrong tweaks then because last time I played with my tweaks there was no visible pop in anywhere.

He probably was too poor to play it on a proper PC back then.

antimeridian

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

Good to hear. I'm getting a RTX 3080 Ti at the end of the month, so I'm going to wait till later to do a full playthrough. I'm eager to see how it looks on the highest settings with max RT. Ditto for Metro Exodus.

What was your experience with DLSS from a visual standpoint? It obviously improves framerates, but did you notice any loss of quality vs running the same resolution natively?
Don't expect too much from Crysis RT, it's not too noticeable unless you start looking for it. Metro is a game they built around the tech (assuming you're playing the PC enhanced edition) so it's a lot more impressive there. Control and Cyberpunk are probably the other RT highlights out so far, but it seems like most devs are still struggling to find ways to use the tech tastefully. I like DLSS overall but it depends on your resolution. On my current 27" 1440p screen it's amazing, on my 1080p 27" it was pretty good but I could usually see some rough edges if I was looking for them, just because of the lower pixel density and low initial resolution. But the performance benefits still outweighed anything else for me. It's subjective to some extent and is going to depend on your screen, viewing distance, and your own image quality preferences.

Most important thing to remember with DLSS is that is uses a sharpening filter as part of its image processing and while some games let you adjust that in the in-game settings, others don't. It can be adjusted in the Nvidia control panel iirc. I prefer to turn it most/all the way down to get a slightly softer image with (to my eyes) less shimmering and small artifacts, but it's something you'll have to experiment with. Sometimes you can improve DLSS in certain games by dropping a newer version of the DLSS .dll in the folder too.

Crysis Remastered has one of the better DLSS implementations I've seen, in quality mode the final picture was really clean.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Always wanted to play Crysis (I did get about 10 minutes into it on a couple of attempts at play through in the past but I was using it pretty much as a benchmark) so I guess now is the time to bite so I can enjoy all the eye candy and high textures to give my RTX 3070 a good workout.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom