Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Machocruz

Arcane
This is wrong. Cybernetic doesn't automatically mean artificial.
Cybernetics is the science of communications and automatic control systems in both machines and living things.
Valid examples are electronic computers, the human brain, biological populations, and human society.

Cybernetics.jpg
How is this explicitly touched on in the film to where it would be relevant to your point that clones are cyber? The entity itself is the field of study? We get brief glimpses into the manufacturing process and some of the chemical elements involved, no insight into the larger field of cybernetics.

The prefix in the relevant context, has to do with computing, IT, virtual reality, human-machine interface, etc. This was established in the foundational works of the genre, and carried forth by the vast majority of media that followed. Except the Ultimate Cyberpunk Movie™, Blade Runner. Any story that involves lab grown, biological humans is "cyber"? I don't think so.

Last edited:

hexer

I can't make you change your thoughts regarding cyber-anything because you've been indoctrinated your entire life by shallow media to have a different approach to the topic.
I understand you, yet I also want you to see the broader picture, the original concept of cyber in RL.
It doesn't matter if you don't change your mind and learn something new from my post above, maybe someone else will.

orcinator

Liturgist
Oh that sounds good. I definitely want as minimal GUI as possible.

The problem with damage numbers isn't that they clutter the UI, it's that they almost always mean there's going to be bulletsponge enemies thanks to poorly implemented RPG mechanics.
Wticher 3's RPG mechanics were cancerous as fuck and I doubt this will be different given devs seem to be embracing this style of open world.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
I wasn't bothered by that in Witcher 3. The moment I realized that it has extensive level scaling, I just turned the difficulty to Easy and then ploughed through the enemies using fast attacks. If CP combat design is retarded and enemies are bullet sponges, I'll just do the same. There's no point in wasting your life grinding shitty combat. As a power fantasy, W3 works really well and I'll be happy if CP77 does the same. While I would love it if it was a futuristic ARMA, I'm not expecting anything that much from a clearly blockbuster-type AAA game.

gestalt11

Arbiter
Must have hurt them when Gibson dissed the first trailer

But leter he liked it.

I gotta say, I love Gibson's work, but he's massively crotchety and out of touch these days. People took him shittalking the trailer way, way too seriously.

EDIT: Thanks to the mod who fixed that quote sandwich.

I appears that he is just ignorant. The setting is from the 80s.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane

Can you imagine Id trotting out Cameron Diaz or Ben Stiller in a Ford Focus to pimp Quake Arena? 90s kids would have shit all over it. But in 2019 you can have Neo + Musk-mobile and suddenly it's raining hype.

"The more perfume you have to pour on the pig, the stinkier you make the bacon." - Me

Last edited by a moderator:

Danikas

Arcane

Can you imagine Id trotting out Cameron Diaz or Ben Stiller in a Ford Focus to pimp Quake Arena? 90s kids would have shit all over it. But in 2019 you can have Neo + Musk-mobile and suddenly it's raining hype.

"The more perfume you have to pour on the pig, the stinkier you make the bacon." - Me
CAN YOU IMAGINE? 90S KIDS AM RITE?

ziGxasC.jpg

Last edited:

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane

CAN YOU IMAGINE? 90S KIDS AM RITE?

ziGxasC.jpg

Punch Out was Punch Out before Tyson got a deal for NES bucks. I'm really hoping that Cyberpunk was Cyberpunk before Keanu and Elon were asked to drive around their future wagon in order to convince us of the game's wonderfulness.

And bonus point - at least the examples you provided were part of the game content. Keanu's got a spot in Cybosquank, but my point is about the shilling. What do gaming con speeches, Gibson quotes, and Musk's concept truck have to do with the game itself? Answer - Fuck all. Might as well open a Cyberpunk trailer with a 100 page essay on technocratic principles by Ray Kurzweil.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Punch Out was Punch Out before Tyson got a deal for NES bucks.

Other way around. It was originally Mike Tyson’s Punch Out, then Tyson got convicted of rape and it became Punch Out.

Punch Out originally came out on arcade in 1984. Mike Tyson didn't even go pro until 1985.

https://www.mobygames.com/game/arcade/punch-out_

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punch-Out!!_(arcade_game)

In 1987, the growing popularity of the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) caused the development and release of Punch-Out!! (NES) for the NES console to happen. Several elements, such as opponents and their names, were changed for this version. In particular, professional boxer Mike Tyson was added as the game's final boss to promote his success in becoming a champion. In 1990, when the contract licensing the use of Tyson's name in the console version expired, Nintendo replaced Tyson with an original character named Mr. Dream, re-releasing it as Punch-Out!! (a.k.a. Punch-Out!! featuring Mr. Dream). Like Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!, Punch-Out!! featuring Mr. Dream bore no further resemblance to the arcade version.

What is going on here? Is it like that because there isn't a frame or something?

Yep, same as the Honda Ridgeline, needs those rear angled supports. As much criticism as the cybertruck's appearance has gotten I actually like it and would enjoy seeing that style catch on to an extent. Beats the hell out of the current meta of "angry cars" from most manufacturers and ugly McTrucks from Ram, Ford, GM, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Max Edge

What is going on here? Is it like that because there isn't a frame or something?

Yep, same as the Honda Ridgeline, needs those rear angled supports. As much criticism as the cybertruck's appearance has gotten I actually like it and would enjoy seeing that style catch on to an extent. Beats the hell out of the current meta of "angry cars" from most manufacturers and ugly McTrucks from Ram, Ford, GM, etc.

Looks like prop from cheap Italian sci-fi movie. Just like everything what Elon do.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom