Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
dlklj4c.jpg
This pic is kinda retarded. What hedonism in a genre where 85 to 99% of the population is beyond poor?

The fuck? The wageslaves are poor, but the massive drug use in neon pink underground clubs by the slightly better off and the direct inseration of happyness into brains via chips and simulations are huge in Cyberpunk. Hedonism is absolutely a warning cornerstone of cyberpunk. Even in Do Androids dream of electric sheep the lengths to which the rich go to replicate natural animals as luxus products are key to the story.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Iwinski even said so. There isn't any CDPR game without development hell.

It is different this time. They even changed the engine. And they are trying to bite far more than they can chew in my opinion. They are essentially trying to make a GTAV clone, but with Witcher 3 and Deus Ex Mankind Divided elements. This requires a ton of budget, and you need to conserve it for what really matters, not just develop ways to add multiple vaginas and cocks or various combinations in your tranny character. Oh well, we shall see in 3 months. I am not holding my breath, and my PC can't stand those requirements anyway. I need an upgrade to run this thing, especially considering how poor is CDPROJECT at optimizing games at release date.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Iwinski even said so. There isn't any CDPR game without development hell.

It is different this time. They even changed the engine. And they are trying to bite far more than they can chew in my opinion. They are essentially trying to make a GTAV clone, but with Witcher 3 and Deus Ex Mankind Divided elements. This requires a ton of budget, and you need to conserve it for what really matters.. .

I don't know where this "NOT ENOUGH MONEY" thing stems from. Probably from the perception that CDP is the company from post-soviet block of countries, hence poor as fuck.

The fact is that money is the least of CDP concerns. They have accumulated around 150 million USD of cash that just lays there and that they don't know what to do with. To the extend that they even decided to buy fucking state bonds for half of that (scroll down for English version) :roll: :hahano:.

As most often with these sort of complex games, the problem is more likely with swift decision making, disagreements about the overall vision as well as details etc.

Last edited:

Jrpgfan

Erudite
CDPR with limited budget lmao. They sold 50 million copies having developed only 3 games(with Witcher 3 being responsible for more than half of that).

The studio is swimming in Witcher money, it's the RPG equivalent of Fortnite(if Witcher 3 was f2p with cash store they'd probably be gifting free games on their own store aswell by now).

Doktor Best

Arcane
Uhm? Witcher 3 had great optimization.

Not at release, it didn't. At release, aside from the general buginess, it also ran like shit in most hardware, especially AMD gpus (like mine) It was GREATLY improved with patching.

Strange. I could play it with an outdated AMD GPU(Radeon HD 3850)with almost everything on medium at release. When i switched to my R9 390 i could max everything @60 fps. Granted that was after a few patches.

odrzut

Arcane
People complaining about optimization in W3 at release - what are you comparing it with? All the open world RPGs released in 2014-2016 had worse graphic and/or worse optimization than W3 had.

And honestly moving from open fields and forests to a modern city should make the optimization easier.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Strange. I could play it with an outdated AMD GPU(Radeon HD 3850)with almost everything on medium at release. When i switched to my R9 390 i could max everything @60 fps. Granted that was after a few patches.

I can't believe fakes news like this get "likes" on this forum. Dude, Witcher 3 is a direct x 11 game. How could you run it on a 3850 gpu? Those were Dx10.1 cards....

I owned a HD 3870, which was superior to 3850, and couldn't run shit in 2015. Even DOS couldn't run without stuttering on a 3870 gpu. Stop spreading fake news. You are getting on my nerves.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
CDPR with limited budget lmao. They sold 50 million copies having developed only 3 games(with Witcher 3 being responsible for more than half of that).

The studio is swimming in Witcher money, it's the RPG equivalent of Fortnite(if Witcher 3 was f2p with cash store they'd probably be gifting free games on their own store aswell by now).

People who don't understand modern industry economics shouldn't be commenting on finances in my opinion.... Number of copies sold mean SHIT on how much a profit a company has made. You also have to take into account the price level at which they sold and all the associated costs to develop and distribute.

For example, many copies of all 3 Witcher games were sold at heavy discounts. All 3 games get frequent sales on Steam. They are very cheap to acquire. There is also no DLC scam involved. The only Witcher game with notable DLCs was the 3rd, and it only had 2 expansions to sell at a low price that is severely discounted often.

Now, say Witcher 3 sold 25 million copies. Even at 60$ at every copy (which is not true,, you could buy it in sales for 10 or 20, but for the example's purposes lets consider that), that is 1.5 billion dollars. Seems like a large number, until you consider that this is the GROSS INCOME. You need to remove a large percentage which went to VAT (around 20% in most countries). Also a large percentage which went to the retailer (again, around 20%), physical or online, and also a large percentage which went to console makers for console rights( a decent percentage + physical manufacturing costs for physical copies). Then you need to remove the costs of actually developing the game, and maintaining/patching the game, plus the costs of loans they took to make it....

All in all, still a decent profit, but hardly Fortnite's levels. Keeping in mind that CDPROJECT rarely releases games, their whole game development infrastructure meant to develop Cyberpunk has already removed all those profits since 2015....

Danikas

Arcane
All in all, still a decent profit, but hardly Fortnite's levels. Keeping in mind that CDPROJECT rarely releases games, their whole game development infrastructure meant to develop Cyberpunk has already removed all those profits since 2015....
Witcher 3 cost $81 million to develop they just invested $71 milion into treasury bonds and you say all their profits are gone :lol:

https://gameworldobserver.com/2020/05/07/cd-projekt-invest-treasury-bonds/

CD Projekt announced its plans to diversify how it manages surplus cash. The company is going to invest it in treasury bonds.

According to its new strategy, CD Projekt will invest up to 300,000,000 PLN (around $71 million) to purchase treasury bonds. Up to half of this amount will be used to purchase Poland’s treasury bonds. Another 150 million zlotys the company will invest in bonds issued by the USA, Germany and Switzerdland.

The company behind The Witcher and Cyberpunk 2077, as well as digital storefront GOG.com, will purchase bonds over the next three months. Their corresponding buyback periods will not exceed 3 years, or 5 years in the case of selected US bonds.

According to the announcement, CD Projekt “has decided to limit the exchange rate risk associated with foreign bonds by carrying out, within the limits offered by the financial institutions cooperating with the Company, symmetric purchases.”

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
For fucks sake TemplarGR, just read the message I linked just three posts above, instead of writing nonsensical walls of text that has no grounding in reality.

I repeat: CDP has 150 million USD that they don't know what to do with. That is SURPLUS, on top of all the expenses they need to run the studio, pay employees, pay bills etc. - essentially on top of all the development costs.

EDIT::
what Danikas said above. And as I said, the 71 million USD investment is only half of their surplus according to their financial statement.

Doktor Best

Arcane

I can't believe fakes news like this get "likes" on this forum. Dude, Witcher 3 is a direct x 11 game. How could you run it on a 3850 gpu? Those were Dx10.1 cards....

I owned a HD 3870, which was superior to 3850, and couldn't run shit in 2015. Even DOS couldn't run without stuttering on a 3870 gpu. Stop spreading fake news. You are getting on my nerves.

I checked my old setup and i was actually wrong on that. I owned a radeon hd 6950 back then which ran Witcher 3 on medium. Still pretty good for a card that was 4 years old at that time.

guestposting

Educated
People who don't understand modern industry economics shouldn't be commenting on finances in my opinion.... Number of copies sold mean SHIT on how much a profit a company has made. You also have to take into account the price level at which they sold and all the associated costs to develop and distribute.

For example, many copies of all 3 Witcher games were sold at heavy discounts. All 3 games get frequent sales on Steam. They are very cheap to acquire. There is also no DLC scam involved. The only Witcher game with notable DLCs was the 3rd, and it only had 2 expansions to sell at a low price that is severely discounted often.

Now, say Witcher 3 sold 25 million copies. Even at 60$ at every copy (which is not true,, you could buy it in sales for 10 or 20, but for the example's purposes lets consider that), that is 1.5 billion dollars. Seems like a large number, until you consider that this is the GROSS INCOME. You need to remove a large percentage which went to VAT (around 20% in most countries). Also a large percentage which went to the retailer (again, around 20%), physical or online, and also a large percentage which went to console makers for console rights( a decent percentage + physical manufacturing costs for physical copies). Then you need to remove the costs of actually developing the game, and maintaining/patching the game, plus the costs of loans they took to make it....

Yeah, you’re right, people who don’t understand industry economics really should keep their mouths shut, so take your own advice. CDPR is a public company, we have all their financials, we don’t need to do any back of the envelope calculations to know how profitable their business is. Just google it next time; the numbers are all there.

CDPR has generated ~$70 million in operating income (that’s earnings before interest and taxes—in CDPR’s case there’s only taxes) just over the past four quarters and it’s been five years since they released a major new game. That number includes their massive spending on CP2077.

In terms of revenue, they generated about $160 million in the past four quarters. Again, this is five years after TW3 came out and a year after Thronebreaker. Though they did release TW3 on Switch last year at full price.

Jrpgfan

Erudite

I won't even waste my time answering.

RPGCodex is the only place on the internet that produces retards who think they're smarter than everyone. It's like an autism bubble shielded by the notion that whoever plays hardcore RPGs or obscure games have high IQ.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Uhm? Witcher 3 had great optimization.

Not at release, it didn't. At release, aside from the general buginess, it also ran like shit in most hardware, especially AMD gpus (like mine) It was GREATLY improved with patching.
Wait, wait, wait. What are you arguing here? That TW3 was unoptimized while attempting to play it on a HD3870?

Tytus

Arcane

Jrpgfan

Erudite
IIRC Witcher 3 at launch had some issues with the ultra/higher settings and some features(like the hair physics thing iirc). Apparently the dumbfuck didn't even bother to read the post as he mentioned he was playing on Medium settings, which was perfectly doable even without higher end cards.

And I bet most people complaining about performance was playing on higher settings with vsync on without activating some sort of frame cap. If you can't keep framerate above 60fps and activate vsync you're obviously gonna have high fluctuation and thus stuttering.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom