Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Prime Junta

What manner of reactionary propaganda is this?

maxresdefault.jpg
I said girls, as in females.

You also said engineered.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
The fact that you even use the word 'bench' implies that you're nowhere near a strength 1 type of person. Strength 1 is like some scientist dude who barely steps outside his lab and eats mostly pot noodles, someone who lifts test tubes all day instead of RPGs. Yes, that dude has trouble lifting an RPG. That's the point.

Carry. Limits.

Plus an endurance mechanic if you want.

Your STR 1 nerd would be out of breath in one second of sprinting, and couldn't carry anything heavier than a milk carton further than across a room. He could still pick up and shoot a Kalash as well as any other untrained nerd; no need to slap on additional penalties on top of that.
He would -at the very least- have a lot more difficulty managing recoil though. I'd also say he'd have to get an aiming penalty if he has to hold the rifle instead of resting it on something.

A hard minimum strength requirement - maybe not (though it would be easier). But penalties for accuracy, rate of fire, maybe reload time would be adequate.

One of my major gripes of POE's system was that even the weakest chars could fight in the heaviest armour, swinging around massive shields and hammers without penalties.

Sykar

Arcane
The fact that you even use the word 'bench' implies that you're nowhere near a strength 1 type of person. Strength 1 is like some scientist dude who barely steps outside his lab and eats mostly pot noodles, someone who lifts test tubes all day instead of RPGs. Yes, that dude has trouble lifting an RPG. That's the point.

Carry. Limits.

Plus an endurance mechanic if you want.

Your STR 1 nerd would be out of breath in one second of sprinting, and couldn't carry anything heavier than a milk carton further than across a room. He could still pick up and shoot a Kalash as well as any other untrained nerd; no need to slap on additional penalties on top of that.
He would -at the very least- have a lot more difficulty managing recoil though. I'd also say he'd have to get an aiming penalty if he has to hold the rifle instead of resting it on something.

A hard minimum strength requirement - maybe not (though it would be easier). But penalties for accuracy, rate of fire, maybe reload time would be adequate.

One of my major gripes of POE's system was that even the weakest chars could fight in the heaviest armour, swinging around massive shields and hammers without penalties.

/lesigh

The point was not that you should be able to use any weapon at 100% efficiency. The original point was that you cannot even try to use a weapon because of some stat requirement which makes no sense whatsoever except in a very special circumstance but as Junta pointed out, such heavy weapons would never be normally used and instead would use a tripod or are mounted on something so it is again not a real argument, just being obnoxious.
The vast majority of weapons are designed with the goal in mind that anyone not being a wheelchair rolling cripple without arms can point and shoot a gun. As to armor, the problem is not so much the weight since any well made armor is made so that the weight is well distributed and you won't feel much difference but heat from the environment and endurance. Also you will get used to wearing it after a while.

Just to give you an idea about armor:

50 pound armor does not nearly hinder you as much as RPG autists with no practical field experience want us to believe and I doubt any armor made with modern materials would weigh 50 pounds on its own.

Man you guys need to get out there and actually handle a weapon once.

First gun I ever shot was a double barreled shotgun when I was 16. During my military service I shot everything between a P1, MG 3 and Panzerfaust:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panzerfaust

Last edited:

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I was in the army and fired thousands of shots with assault rifles. Firing them (accurately) from a standing position requires a little more than 'minimum strength', as does quickly recovering from recoil to aim again.

I never said you need to look like Rambo, but a 'Strength 1' character would have difficulties that need to result in penalties.

Sykar

Arcane
I was in the army and fired thousands of shots with assault rifles. Firing them (accurately) from a standing position requires a little more than 'minimum strength', as does quickly recovering from recoil to aim again.

I never said you need to look like Rambo, but a 'Strength 1' character would have difficulties that need to result in penalties.

Ok what exactly is a strength 1 character in Cyberpunk because I get tired at this point at these vague and meaningless stat categories without having even a baseline.While we are at it how likely would it be that such a character would even exist in an environment and the role your main character is in Cyberpunk 2077?

As to penalties, no one ever said something about not having penalties. The discussion was about being completely locked out even using the gun in the first place. Also standing a long time while using an assault rifile in full auto without a wall to rest it for example and to protect most of your body is something that rarely if ever happens in actual combat unless you like to increase the odds if you getting shot exponentially.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

Ok what exactly is a strength 1 character in Cyberpunk because I get tired at this point at these vague and meaningless stat categories without having even a baseline.While we are at it how likely would it be that such a character would even exist in an environment and the role your main character is in Cyberpunk 2077?

As to penalties, no one ever said something about not having penalties. The discussion was about being completely locked out even using the gun in the first place. Also standing a long time while using an assault rifile in full auto without a wall to rest it for example and to protect most of your body is something that rarely if ever happens in actual combat unless you like to increase the odds if you getting shot exponentially.
Second question first: Prime Junta said in the post I quoted

'Your STR 1 nerd would be out of breath in one second of sprinting, and couldn't carry anything heavier than a milk carton further than across a room. He could still pick up and shoot a Kalash as well as any other untrained nerd; no need to slap on additional penalties on top of that.'

That is what I disagreed with, not 'the original point'.

And for me a strength 1 / lowest number possible char in any RPG system is somebody who can stand upright without help but needs both arms to lift a sixpack and looks a bit like DJ Qualls.

Sykar

Arcane

Second question first: Prime Junta said in the post I quoted

'Your STR 1 nerd would be out of breath in one second of sprinting, and couldn't carry anything heavier than a milk carton further than across a room. He could still pick up and shoot a Kalash as well as any other untrained nerd; no need to slap on additional penalties on top of that.'

That is what I disagreed with, not 'the original point'.

And for me a strength 1 / lowest number possible char in any RPG system is somebody who can stand upright without help but needs both arms to lift a sixpack and looks a bit like DJ Qualls.

I can with confidence say that I never met a healthy woman who was that weak even if she was 1.50m tall.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
It was an exaggeration for effect. Let's more realistically say 'A beer case'. Better?

And back to topic, if we take the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system, I'd say to handle an assault rifle without penalties (not 'at all') a char should have a strength of '3'. That shouldn't be too prohibitive.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nowadays community managers should always make sure to add "with in-game currency" to such responses. "Unlock/buy" makes it sound like the guy is talking about a microtransaction.

Zer0wing

Cipher
I know some people 'round here don't like Jackies suprisingly jarring language for a latino guy but scavenger gang slavs are even worse. The one that speaks russian only knows how to scream 'BLYAT' and counting to three. If this is what CDPR meant for tarantino approach or the 'punk' side of the game... The writing might be worse than we'd expect such a game developer.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.dualshockers.com/cyberpunk-2077-first-person/

Cyberpunk 2077 — CD Projekt “Very Aware” that Many Don’t Like First-Person Perspective
Cyberpunk 2077 devs might look into offering difficulty and sensibility options in the hope to mitigate some players' aversion to first-person perspective.

While Cyberpunk 2077 looks absolutely gorgeous, many appear to struggle to warm up to the game due to its first-person perspective. At Gamescom 2018 DualShockers had a chat with Quest Designer Patrick Mills, and we asked what kind of feedback the developer received, and if they’re planning to remain firm in the choice.

Mills confirmed that the perspective won’t change, but the studio is very aware of the fact that the first-person perspective is facing some resistance.

“We are firm in that decision. However, we’re very aware that a lot of people don’t like first-person, and there is a small number of people who can’t play first-person for a variety of reasons.”

That being said, he mentioned that the team is looking into offering difficulty options and sensibility options to hopefully manage to turn Cyberpunk 2077 in the first first-person game that some people will like, or that some will be able to play.

While they’re sticking with their choice, they want the game to be enjoyable for as many people as possible.

If you want to check out the first assets of the game, you can enjoy some spectacular gameplay from yesterday, recently-released concept art and a batch of screenshots that were showcased at Gamescom. You can also watch the first cinematic trailer from E3 2018.

Cyberpunk 2077 does not have a release date or even a launch window, but it has been announced for PS4, Xbox One, and PC. You can already pre-order the game on Amazon.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/cyberpunk-2077/cyberpunk-2077-destructible-environments

Cyberpunk 2077 could have destructible environments – but that might mean no flying cars

cyberpunk-2077-destructible-environments-580x334.jpg

The Cyberpunk 2077 demo showed off some environmental destruction throughout the combat sequences, with bullets busting holes through walls and knocking off bits of concrete around the edges of certain pillars. You might be wondering just how much destruction will be in the final game – apparently, the folks at CD Projekt are also trying to figure out the answer for themselves.

“We’re trying to push the interactivity of the world by adding in details from a physical side,” level designer Miles Tost says. “The game will be highly physical, will have a lot of destruction. You can see that in the demo when you’re in the scavengers area and you shoot at the pillars and they start crumbling.”

The biggest bits of destruction are seen in the demo’s opening gunfight, most notably when the battle crosses between two rooms and bullets are exchanged through a wall – right before Jackie busts through to bring the fight to an end. It’s a cool scripted sequence for the demo, and it could end up being a dynamic gameplay system, but the team is still deciding where to put those hardware resources to work.

“Every platform only has so much performance,” Tost tells IGN. “If you think about it, as a developer, how do you want to root this performance? Do you want to have more NPCs? Do you want to fill a large city space? Or do you want the environments to be more destructible? Do you want the lighting to be better, or do you want to have more complex AI?”

According to a Gamescom talk (translated via Reddit), the studio also points to flying cars as another big point of development constraints, likened to destructible environments in terms of the strain it puts on resources. CD Projekt said flying cars couldn’t be driven by players back at E3, though it seems the studio is still doing design work to see if it’s feasible for the final game.

But, as the team said at Gamescom, flying cars might mean no destructible environments, or vice-versa. Or perhaps we’ll see neither, if some other feature is deemed a more important use of those resources. If you’re wondering why the gameplay video was plastered with ‘this is a work in progress’ messages, this kind of thing is a big part of the reason.

The Cyberpunk 2077 release date remains at some indeterminate point in the future, and it seems development still has a long way to go. This is your reminder that everything you’ve seen and heard is still subject to change – a few puddles might not be where you expect them in the final game.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Firing any of those weapons is very easy and not physically taxing at all. The RPG-7 rests on your shoulder. You face in the right general direction, move your body to line up the sights, and squeeze the trigger to fire off the round. Basically, all of these are infantry weapons designed for normally abled people, not steely supermen of steel.

So once again: if someone has trouble lifting an RPG-7 to his shoulder or handling an assault rifle, then he is functionally disabled: he will have trouble standing up and walking without assistance. If that's what STR 1 means in your system, then fine -- but if STR 1 still represents someone who can function normally in most circumstances (stand, walk, pick up a carton of milk, turn a key in a lock etc) then he bloody well should be able to aim and fire any of these weapons as well.

Sorry did you just compare lifting a carton of milk to firing a RPG-7 ?
I get your point but.. I think you went a little too far in your hyperbole.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
RPG 7 is roughly 7kg according to Google. Any normal person should be able to lift that with two hands.

NullFlow

Savant
10% of the gaming world suddenly came down with a case of motion sickness or FP-phobia after the reveal of perspective. Guaranteed they are perfectly fine when any other studio does it though.

Ash

Arcane
This gameplay reveal was very underwhelming. I shouldn't have expected better from CD Popamole Red.

10% of the gaming world suddenly came down with a case of motion sickness or FP-phobia after the reveal of perspective. Guaranteed they are perfectly fine when any other studio does it though.

No, they usually just avoid FP games period, sometimes out of dumb ignorance, sometimes out of alleged motion sickness. But this one they can't ignore because there's a massive hype train for it and they liked Twitcher so they want this too.

Prime Junta

I know some people 'round here don't like Jackies suprisingly jarring language for a latino guy but scavenger gang slavs are even worse. The one that speaks russian only knows how to scream 'BLYAT' and counting to three. If this is what CDPR meant for tarantino approach or the 'punk' side of the game... The writing might be worse than we'd expect such a game developer.

...and this is different from actual gopniks how...?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom