Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D 5E Discussion

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I don't know why you find what I am saying so controversial, James. Rules and GM decision work together in any RPG game outside pure free-form. Even the Amber game that did away with dice or any other random method still uses rules for decisions. Are you arguing that they are ultimately uneeded? If so, why not just play a free-form game? If not, then what role do you propose they should play?
I am trying to wrap my head around you justifying feats and the entire If You Don't Have X You Can't Do Y game design. Am I misunderstanding you because at every turn you have defended it in my eyes?

Alex

Arcane
I don't know why you find what I am saying so controversial, James. Rules and GM decision work together in any RPG game outside pure free-form. Even the Amber game that did away with dice or any other random method still uses rules for decisions. Are you arguing that they are ultimately uneeded? If so, why not just play a free-form game? If not, then what role do you propose they should play?
I am trying to wrap my head around you justifying feats and the entire If You Don't Have X You Can't Do Y game design. Am I misunderstanding you because at every turn you have defended it in my eyes?
You are the one who keeps bringing up feats, not me. I even made it clear I don't like systems that stop you from doing something obvious because you lack a trait in your sheet or something. I am arguing that DM decisions don't need to be done outside of rules, but can use them as a framework and reference.

Here is the simplest example I can think. If your PC is driving a car at a high speed, it is dark and raining and he must make a turn right as a truck comes in the opposite direction, how do you deal with that in GURPS? Here are a few things the GM could do to represent this situation, going from interacting the least to interacting the most with the rules present in the system:
  1. A flat percentage roll (say 20% chance of success).
  2. A DX roll to avoid disaster.
  3. A driving skill roll.
  4. A driving skill roll with a big penalty given all the stacked odds against the driver.
  5. As above, but each problem (darkness, rain, speed, etc) is an independent penalty, which might be further modified by advantages and what not such as night vision.
  6. As above, but also using some of the frameworks from the rulebook such as the speed penalty table.
And we could go on by considering outcomes as well. My point is that having rules to deal with this doesn't stop the GM from deciding how things go, but might help him make a better decision, and help the players to know what to expect from the game.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
framework and reference.
I think at the end of the day that is best left to the gm and the group.
I mean, let people play how they want to play* and figure out how consistent or inconsistent they want their rules.

Except casterfags, elffags and elfcasterfags. :imperialscum:

Alex

Arcane
framework and reference.
I think at the end of the day that is best left to the gm and the group.
I mean, let people play how they want to play* and figure out how consistent or inconsistent they want their rules.

Except casterfags, elffags and elfcasterfags. :imperialscum:
Sure, but if you are arguing about what kind of rules set is better, or designing your own, considering these things is important.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
You are the one who keeps bringing up feats, not me. I even made it clear I don't like systems that stop you from doing something obvious because you lack a trait in your sheet or something. I am arguing that DM decisions don't need to be done outside of rules, but can use them as a framework and reference.

Here is the simplest example I can think. If your PC is driving a car at a high speed, it is dark and raining and he must make a turn right as a truck comes in the opposite direction, how do you deal with that in GURPS? Here are a few things the GM could do to represent this situation, going from interacting the least to interacting the most with the rules present in the system:
  1. A flat percentage roll (say 20% chance of success).
  2. A DX roll to avoid disaster.
  3. A driving skill roll.
  4. A driving skill roll with a big penalty given all the stacked odds against the driver.
  5. As above, but each problem (darkness, rain, speed, etc) is an independent penalty, which might be further modified by advantages and what not such as night vision.
  6. As above, but also using some of the frameworks from the rulebook such as the speed penalty table.
And we could go on by considering outcomes as well. My point is that having rules to deal with this doesn't stop the GM from deciding how things go, but might help him make a better decision, and help the players to know what to expect from the game.

Well thank you for the clarification. I do appreciate it.

Mortmal

Arcane
Looks like Woketards is announcing a new dandino "edition", could be 5.5 or 6e

• Only PCs going to crit(0:33)
  • Most of the community is disappointed and the corporate media cheering
  • The youtuber claims that most people involved in the development of 6e seems to hate D&D
  • They are more worried about woke bs than making a good product
  • Talk about how wokism ruined dark elves(4:40)
  • All the races acting like humans defies the reason to have fantasy races(7m)

=========================

r If You Don't Have X You Can't Do Y.

I agree with you. IMO the example of an barb wanting to decapitate an enemy.
  • IF he says "I will swing my axe and try to decapitate teh enemy" once, is up to the DM
  • IF happens in many encounters, the DM should homebrew a "check"
  • IF happens in many encounters, with many players attempting to do it in many different groups across the world, it should become formalized as an rule
Just my opinion.

They got success by sheer luck,the system is ok but nothing extraordinary either, it wont take much for them to get down again and people switching to pathfinder like for 4e.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Cats don't suffer any penalties to water.
No they just avoid it like the plague.

I'm not seeing that in their write up. In fact, it makes no mention of water at all for domestic and wild cats. There are three types of house cat. They are Domestic, Wild, and Elven. Elven cats can speak. They also are very stealthy giving a -5 penalty to an opponents' surprise roll. The cat itself is surprised on a roll of a 1 only. They have 99.9% to move silently and 90% chance to hide in wilderness areas. They also are excellent climbers, leap 20 feet, and enjoy swimming and playing in water. Said elven cats also get limited magic abilities as well.

A solitary Elven cat can take out all level 1 classes as it has 2 claws, 1 bite, and 2 rake attacks with rear claws. The front claws do 1-2, bite is 1-3, and the rake attack is 1-2. Thus, if said Elven cat hits with all of its attacks it can do a max of 5-11 points of damage.

Are you socially retarded?

Hem. Seems premature. Too soon to judge it. Will try to download the playtest rules this weekend.

Ardlings (furries) and letting any race be diminutive are concerning though. 5E had a huge influx of degenerates wanting to LARP their psychosis rather than play a combat and exploration game centered in medieval fantasy.

Gyor

Savant
Hem. Seems premature. Too soon to judge it. Will try to download the playtest rules this weekend.

Ardlings (furries) and letting any race be diminutive are concerning though. 5E had a huge influx of degenerates wanting to LARP their psychosis rather than play a combat and exploration game centered in medieval fantasy.

Ardlings race will likely just get replaced by Aasimar, will the animal heads thing becoming a cosmetic option inna side bar in the PHB, if the Ardling is really even for the One D&D PHB instead of say sneakng it in the playtest for Planescape.

Gyor

Savant

Not any race usually getting to choose either to be midium or small is restricted to humans and part humans or furries (Ardlings, Tieflings, Genasi, Humans, Tabaxi, Haregons, Owlings, maybe a couple others). All other races are locked into either medium or small.

halfchad

Literate
The youtuber claims that most people involved in the development of 6e seems to hate D&D

Not really news. Mike Mearls is on record saying older editions were "a game for assholes"
Wow. I want the RPG designed for assholes. It truly is D&Done. Rpgs are a lot like sex. Everyone enjoys something different, its awkward with strangers, and there are rules, but some perverts like to break the rules. Mike Mearls out here angry that assholes are getting the best RPG pussy, like an incel.

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
Anyone here knowledgeable on the Domains of Dread books? If so, what would you consider the best to check out, apart from Ravenloft and the setting book itself obviously? Any other adventures that are well regarded? Zed Duke of Banville , maybe you're in the know?

Not 5e-related directly but I can only see the OSR thread active as a starting point.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Anyone here knowledgeable on the Domains of Dread books? If so, what would you consider the best to check out, apart from Ravenloft and the setting book itself obviously? Any other adventures that are well regarded? Zed Duke of Banville , maybe you're in the know?

Not 5e-related directly but I can only see the OSR thread active as a starting point.

I can't detail much domains of dread for 5E and only DMed one session of ship of horrors. But reading the 2E book was amazing. IDK how Domains of Dread is in 5E.

One thing which I loved in 2E domains of dread is that some spells are far more dangerous. For eg, any summoning spell which summons an creature outside of the domains of dread make the creature another prisoner in the domains of dread and hostile towards the caster. Finger of death reanimates the enemy as an juju zombie hostile towards the caster(and they are quite resistant to magic in 2E). Horrid Wilting could create hostile mummies and so on. Bestow curse could permanently corrupt the caster. And never, I repeat NEVER cast wish in the realms of dread.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
(...snip) And never, I repeat NEVER cast wish in the realms of dread.
Without a lawyer, you mean.

Even if you can make the perfect wish which can't be messed around, the dark powers have the power to just make it not work or delay it. The DM is encouraged to make the wish fail or delay the wish till he can find a way to corrupt the wish. Also such spells draw attention of dark powers, which can lead to nasty curses and corruption...

The whole point of Ravenloft campaign setting is that everyone there are subjects of mysterious dark powers which toys with negative emotions of everyone involved. Including the dark lords.
  • Strahd will never get the love of Tatiana
  • Meredoth will never complete his research
  • Ankhtepot will never fell the pleasure of live again
  • Jacqueline Renier will be forever cursed with lycanthropy
  • Hazlik will never learn a new spell or become stronger
  • Elena Faith-hold will never get her paladin's powers back
The dark lords are nobles with his own domains and subjects? Yes, but at the same time they are prisoners forced to live under constantly cycles of frustration and torment. Only Vecna managed to escape the dark powers canonnically speaking.

Alex

Arcane

Even if you can make the perfect wish which can't be messed around, the dark powers have the power to just make it not work or delay it. The DM is encouraged to make the wish fail or delay the wish till he can find a way to corrupt the wish. Also such spells draw attention of dark powers, which can lead to nasty curses and corruption...

Every freaking thing you can do in Ravenloft, with the possible exception of dying, draws attention of the dark powers. Also, encouragement be damned, if the DM can't corrupt your wish and just decide to fail it or ignore the wording, that is cheating. If you don't want to give the players even the possibility of making a wish, then don't give them the spell, don't present it and then cheat if they win.

The whole point of Ravenloft campaign setting is that everyone there are subjects of mysterious dark powers which toys with negative emotions of everyone involved. Including the dark lords.
The dark lords are nobles with his own domains and subjects? Yes, but at the same time they are prisoners forced to live under constantly cycles of frustration and torment. Only Vecna managed to escape the dark powers canonnically speaking.

It is AD&D. The point is to try to beat them.

Mortmal

Arcane

Nope azalin manages to escape first hiding his philactery in treasure ,the adventurers bring him with them and he reforms outside the domain of dread , RQ3 from the shadows.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom